The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 3, 2007, 08:36 PM   #1
deadin

Can anybody identify this powder?

I picked up 100 rounds of reloaded 44/40. When I pulled them down I found a 200 gr LRN and ~22.5 grs. of this powder. It appears to be a BP substitute that I'm not familiar with. It's sort of brownish and produced lots of smoke when burned and leaves a somewhat reddish ash.
Any ideas?

Old May 3, 2007, 08:53 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

You can't tell anything about any powder just by looking at it. If you don't know what it is, dispose of it safely. Like out in the open with a match or spread it on your lawn.
Old May 3, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Varmint Eviscerator

If it was done at a factory then the reloaded stuff should work just fine! Shoot a round and give us an update :
-VE
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old May 3, 2007, 09:05 PM   #4
deadin

I have no intention of trying to use the stuff. I'm just curious as to what it might be. It's almost as coarse as cannon powder.
Old May 3, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Grizz Adams

Just a guess, but it might be Black Canyon? I think that was the name. It was an early version of Cleanshot, which is now called American Pioneer Powder. The Black Canyon was really poor stuff and kinda chunky.:barf:
Old May 3, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6
deadin

Grizz,
I think you may be on the right track. Since I posted my question I have been doing some further research. These are definitely reloads and there was a tag on the box that said 200 gr. (the slug) and 33gr C/S. I could guess that the "C/S" might stand for Clean Shot. The "33 gr." threw me until I realized that it might refer to a volume load rather than an actual weight. I know that most of the BP substitutes are less dense than actual BP, so the 22.5 gr I found in the case could be a 33gr BP equivalent.
I agree with an earlier poster and I will just pull them down and burn the powder. (I don't want to sprinkle it on the lawn cause I don't know what it's made of. Smokless powder is fine on the lawn becase it's nitrate based. Who knows what asorbic acid based compound might do. )
Old May 4, 2007, 02:31 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I never use any reloads other than my own. That way, if something goes wrong, I know the name of the SOB who goofed and I can lay a 2x4 upside his head.

Jim