The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2005, 08:28 PM   #1
virginia scout

Question on 9MM loads

I have reloaded Mixed Brass in 9MM with 3.8 grains of titegroup with cci primers and a hornady 124 grain flat point with OAL of 1.050. These are going 1105 measured on a chrony.

When shot out of a taurus 92AF I get a bulge in the primer that looks like it moves the primer back into the bolt face expanding it slightly back into the firing pin champher.

With this light of a load I do not think it is an overpressure sign.

I am going to shoot some factory ammo through it tomorrow to see what they do.

Any thoughtson what might be the cause?
Old June 13, 2005, 08:38 PM   #2
HSMITH

My Taurus PT99 has a very large firing pin hole and primers flow back into it with even very light loads that just roll the brass out of the slide. I have gotten into some warm loads and I really can't tell the difference between the light loads and heavier loads just by looking at the primers. It has been my experience that lots of the Taurus 92/99 series guns have large firing pin holes and will allow the primers to flow back.

If I were looking at getting top velocities out of it I would go to small rifle primers, just for the extra cup strength and insurance against a pierced primer. In doing so I would also start very low and work up since the reloading data does not include rifle primers.

A 124 at 1100 isn't exactly light, but seems to be a reasonable load speedwise. Any particular reason you are loading them so short? I would expect pressures in your loads to be as high as standard factory loads or a little higher with that OAL.
Old June 15, 2005, 07:14 PM   #3
virginia scout

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for all the good information. I was at the range yesterday and shot two different factory loads and three hand loads. Guess what, its the Taurus. Big champhered firing pin hole. I had not really looked closlely at factory shot through it.

The pressure is fine.
Old June 15, 2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Steve in PA

Rounds fired from my Beretta 92FS will leave a "dimple" on the case, no matter what type of ammo is used.
Old June 16, 2005, 05:42 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

pressure curve

Might be a 'slower' powder will push the case back so your primer stays in?
Old June 16, 2005, 07:38 AM   #6
.45 Vet

Used to load 122gr RNFP's at about the same velocity and a hair shorter--- 1.040" over 4grs Bullseye. Always shot fine in my Rugers, but gave the same type of "Primer Flow ?" in all of my friends guns that happened to be Taurus.

It may very well be the larger firing pin hole...
Old June 16, 2005, 07:47 AM   #7
HSMITH

WS2, the slowest I have gone is Unique/Power Pistol/Universal. Very light loads that just barely cycle the gun show less flow, standard velocity loads show a little more.

45 Vet, I picked up a 15 pound can of Bullseye cheap so I have been using that for most loads. Loads are nearly the same as you listed, with the same result.

If I wanted anything more than factory type velocities I would switch to small rifle primers.
Old June 17, 2005, 06:05 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Power Pistol is well-suited to medium-n-up-power loads in the 9x19; most often very 'accurate'.