The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2018, 06:46 PM   #26
Metal god

Quote:
That said, I'm not really a big fan of putting lighter mainsprings in guns. At the least, when something like that is done, the shooter should do a good deal of testing to make sure that reliability is not compromised in either single OR double action.
Agreed , and at the same time this firearm will not likely be a go to gun for SD/HD . I have enough others already designated for those purposes so if it misfires 1 in 1000 while at the same time being one of the best and smoothest triggers I've ever used . I'm not sure I'll care that much but we'll have to see about that . I sometimes think one thing but when push comes to shove I end up not liking it . Example , when I started reloading I thought to save money I'd be OK with shooting cheap rifle bullets as long as I knew I and the rifle can shoot better with quality components . Well that turned out not to be true even a little bit . If I'm not shooting the smallest groups possible I'm not happy . So except for my AR plinking rounds all my bullets are match grade rifle bullets .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 18, 2018, 02:10 PM   #27
Metal god

New dilemma of my own doing

So I finally got around to actually inspecting the GP100 . It looked good as far as i could tell . My issue now is that I think I want the 6” barrel instead of the 4” . The problem is that this is CA and the ten day waiting period . It gives you time for buyers remorse . If i change to the 6” this will be the third time I’ve changed my mind During a ten day waiting period . The other two I’m very happy i changed my mind . Both were the same type of firearm but I changed the brand .

As i stated earlier I have no real intentions on using this firearm for SD/HD or carrying it , although i have already bought a OWB holster for it . This it going to be a plinking range fun gun and i think I’ll be happier with the longer sight radius . The two down sides now are , I’ll need to spend another $30 for a background check because they’ll have to cancel my current one . The other is I bought the 4” holster already , although i may be able to return that .

What say you , should I switch to the 6” ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 18, 2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old April 18, 2018, 02:43 PM   #28
reddog81

If you want the 6" then it's probably worth it to get another background check. I have a 5" and would probably prefer 1' longer vs. 1" shorter. The GP100 isn't a gun I'd want to try and conceal carry so the slightly longer barrel doesn't bother my at all, and is probably slightly easier to shoot accurately.
Old April 18, 2018, 02:43 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

The only thing a GP requires out of the box is a trigger job. Do it yourself or have it done. Did mine(back when GP's first came here in about '85 or '86) exactly the same way as one does a 1911/A1 trigger. GP's(and its cousins) are extremely easy to work on. Polish the innards(all of which are SS) and clip a 1/4 turn off the main spring. Does very little to improve the DA pull though. That requires a lighter trigger return spring. The Wolff Gunsprings Shooters Pak at $10.50 has all the springs you need.
Polishing a spring will do nothing whatever. You polish mating parts and the sides of said parts.
"...the GP-100 and the Super Redhawk take/except the same grips..." Not except, accept. And yes. The Super's grip frame is the exact same frame. For a great big SOB of a revolver it fits normal sized hands
Old April 18, 2018, 05:11 PM   #30
turkeestalker

To my liking the 6" that I bought my youngest for his 'early' 21st birthday present, is a bit long.
That is my own preference or bias though, I just like them a bit shorter.
I do have to admit that it does balance well in hand and is without question a very good shooting revolver, almost one of those magical can't miss ones.
Even my life long shooting buddy who claims that he doesn't shoot too well with any handgun definitely does with that one.
Old April 18, 2018, 09:01 PM   #31
Metal god

Wow i just fixed that last post . I clearly have a problem typing on my phone . There were many type-o’s in that , sorry about that .

So I went ahead and changed to the 6” model this afternoon. The store was good about it and they had one instock so I was able to inspect it . Looks good and has a looong barrel haha

Old April 18, 2018, 10:21 PM   #32
Crankylove

I’ve had a blued 4” for 12ish years, only modification I’ve done is to paint the serrated edge of the front sight with some red model paint. Little easier for me to pick up with a bit of color on it.

Haven’t needed to do anything else but shoot it.
Old April 18, 2018, 11:57 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...only modification I’ve done is to paint the serrated edge of the front sight with some red model paint...
Here's another option.
http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Red...uctinfo/90074/

The sight is metal with an orange/red plastic insert.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:04 AM   #34
HighValleyRanch

Or you could do it on the existing front sight like Larry Potterfield shows in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZvGFHZxeE
Old April 19, 2018, 09:39 AM   #35
Big Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeestalker View Post
Ruger revolvers typically smooth up nicely with use in my experience. Dry fire it a thousand times, (with or without snap caps, your call), before thinking about springs.
Then things have changed for the better since the 1978, when I bought a Security Six .357; it had the hardest trigger pull of any gun that I have owned. Bill Ruger had a penchant for doing nutty things, like putting a NY trigger into the Security Six. I am certain that he had something to do with it.
My trigger finger got tired from trying to cycle the thing, in dry fire.
Old April 19, 2018, 10:07 AM   #36
Metal god

I've already bought the red Ruger front sight and plan to buy a Hi-viz fiber optic front sight as well . The Ruger sight was a little disappointing as far as finish . The red insert was not fitted well for lack of a better term . The front ( section you look at to aim ) was canted/crooked at the bottom and on one side the red bleed out onto the side of the sight . I used a sharpie to square everything up and appears to have worked . I did not want to do any permanent cutting or filing until I knew for sure how it's made . I was afraid that cutting or filing the red off the side or squaring up the front cant would expose bare metal on the sight which would really mess things up .

My new pick up date is the 28th and I'll be shooting on the 29th so I find out how the sight fits the gun then .

Old April 19, 2018, 07:39 PM   #37
turkeestalker

Quote:
*smiles*
Yeah, I get that.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:43 PM   #38
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Then things have changed for the better since the 1978, when I bought a Security Six .357; it had the hardest trigger pull of any gun that I have owned. Bill Ruger had a penchant for doing nutty things, like putting a NY trigger into the Security Six. I am certain that he had something to do with it.
The Ruger Security six has been called a Single action revolver that can be shot in double action. I like that thinking! FWIW, mine has a better trigger than a Smith.
Old April 19, 2018, 11:56 PM   #39
DPris
Member Emeritus

Met son-in-law at my (now our) gunsmith today to drop off his brand new 4-inch GP.

Best action job.
Bowen white-line front, Rough Country rear sight.
De-horn hammer edges.
De-horn triggerguard.
Semi-Fitz right side of triggerguard.
Chamfer chambers.
Check cone & crown.
Check headspace & B/C gap..
No spring replacements.
3-pound SA pull.

As a gift from me, I bought the last NOS machined GP trigger the gunsmith had been hoarding & I'm paying to have it installed & fitted.
Rear edges lightly rounded.

The result will be a superlative .357 Magnum revolver.

It's his first revolver, and we both wanted to make sure it has everything it needs.
Grips remain to be determined.
I have several he can try here, we'll see what he likes when he gets the gun back.

I also bought the last NOS Security-Six trigger the gunsmith had.
Good day.
Denis
Old April 29, 2018, 11:41 AM   #40
LBussy

Today is your planned range day - how did it go?
Old April 29, 2018, 03:38 PM   #41
Metal god

leaving in 30min . We are Range officers which means we can shoot after the range closes all by are selves Last time out we took up 12 lanes with paper and steel targets from 10' to 100yds . That was just two of us

Last edited by Metal god; April 29, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:54 PM   #42
Metal god

UPDATE

Well I took her out on the 29th . I have to say I think I like shooting revolvers . I had two revolvers back in the 90's ( 38spl 6" S&W & a 45colt S&W ) I liked those but sold them off long ago .

It shot well but the trigger pull did seem to get gritty as the day went on . It felt much smoother when I started compared to when I stopped and dry fired it a few times .

When I looked close at the rear sight before shooting it . The insert seemed pushed to the left off center . I went ahead and centered it before shooting and it was pretty much dead on . A never adjusted it but likely could have given it a click to the right . It shot just a tad left but I was hitting a 12" plate at 100yds no problem so it was not that bad . It had the factory black blade on it and that's being replaced so I did not care to fine tune the sight perfectly . I was hitting everything I was aiming at , That was good enough for now .

There is one thing I found quite annoying . That is when ejecting the cases the two closest to the frame always caught on the grip and did not fall free . I'd have to turn the cylinder a bit to get them to fall out freely with out help . Maybe I'm doing something wrong , any help there would be appreciated .

All and all I'm pretty happy other then the cases hanging up . If that's what's going to happen every time . I think I'll have a big problem with that .

I can't wait to smooth everything out , put the new sight on it and start reloading for it . I bought some reloading components for it but the gun show will be here this month . I'll pick up the magnum powder/s and jacketed bullets there as well as more primers .

I found this guy from triggershims.com on youtube installing hammer shims . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7FU8btYY4
Looks like you can order custom sized shims for $5 from this guy . Might be worth it rather then making my own . It appears I need something on my hammer , there is some wiggle for sure in my hammer .

Old May 3, 2018, 07:07 AM   #43
LBussy

I often have those two cases close to the grip get hung up on my wheel guns. Especially when I am shooting magnums vs special. I'll be interested to read the responses to see if I'm doing something wrong. I mean this is the Internet, SOMEONE will say we're doing it wrong.

Sounds like a great range day otherwise. I think a GP100 will be joining my stable soon. It was between the 686 and GP100 till I fired a 686. Now I just need to convince myself to may the purchase.
Old May 3, 2018, 06:23 PM   #44
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's a grip design problem, not shooter error.
The grip SHOULD be cut away far enough for brass to clear.
Denis
Old May 3, 2018, 09:57 PM   #45
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It's a grip design problem, not shooter error.
The grip SHOULD be cut away far enough for brass to clear.
I agree. Fortunately grips are not hard to modify.
Old May 10, 2018, 03:27 PM   #46
Metal god

Mods UPDATE

I went ahead and smoothed everything out and replaced the trigger return spring with the #10 spring and the Hammer spring with the #12 spring .

I did not use a drimal tool but rather only used sand paper . I either wrapped it around a flat surface to sand the flat parts or rolled it up to sand the holes as well as any hand sanding that may have been needed . I used mostly 600 to 1000 grit which seemed to smooth everything out pretty good . I di use some 400 of the inner frame areas at first then moved to finer grit .

So the question is , did it make it and smoother or have lighter trigger pull ?

Yes on both but not as much as I hoped on both either . It's smoother but there is still a little grittiness . Maybe the hammer shims and a drimal polish will help that . As for the trigger pull weight . As I stated earlier I have a spring type trigger pull gauge that measures to 9lbs . Before the work it was WAY off the charts . My guess it it was somewhere in the 11lbs area . It's now at 8.5lbs so an improvement there for sure .

On the whole it is much better so I'm happy with it . I ordered some front and rear Williams fire sights for it that will get here next week . Once those are on I think mI'll run it as is for awhile and see how I like it long term but suspect I'll do just a tad more tinkering before all is said and done .

Thanks guys for your help
Metal