The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Erno86

Hunter knocked unconscious by dead goose falling from sky

2/2/2018:

Quote:
"The Maryland hunter was severely injured after the goose plummeted towards the ground after being shot by a group of hunters. The 51 year old was taken to a hospital in Baltimore, after suffering injuries to his head and face."
A senior Maryland DNR game warden was interviewed after the incident, and said he heard of similar incidents happening like that in the past.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8192596.html

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 3, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:57 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A 10 to 14 pound lump of meat and feathers would do that. There's math involve. Velocity = -9.81 m/s^2 * time.
Old February 3, 2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Erno86

Before the next time I go goose hunting...I wonder if I should buy a camo hard hat?

--- George Orwell
Old February 3, 2018, 03:48 PM   #4
zipspyder

The goose still got the worst of it...
Old February 3, 2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Panfisher

Having had doves smack me before I can believe that a goose hitting you would ruin your day.
Old February 3, 2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Slamfire

I thought more humorous the story about a Japanese fishing trawler sunk by cows falling from an airplane. Too bad that was a hoax.

https://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/cowtao.asp

It may not have been a fair fight but at least the goose took out one of his aggressors. Be thankful geese don't open carry or there would be a lot less goose hunting going on.
Old February 3, 2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Scorch

I heard of an incident like this 30+ years ago, goose knocked out a hunter by falling on him.

I remember a story about a wounded goose pummeling a hunter that tried to grab it by the neck. Try explaining that to the boys at the bar next Friday night!
Old February 3, 2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Kvon2

Takes fight or flight to a whole new level...

I'll see myself out
Old February 4, 2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Thomas Clarke

Hunter Knocked Unconscious by dead goose Fake News

I actually was surprised to see this carried forward here. I went to the trouble to find the actual source of this. No credible witness. The retweet is from the UK. Lots of reports but no substantiation. No actual person reporting that they actually saw this happen. No LEO or Fish and Game. No Hospital. No Sheriff. No Ambulance Driver. Fake News. Humorous. Nice story. Apocryphal. Not responsible hunting etiquette to be hit by falling game. Sounds like hunting grouse with Dick Cheney. That happened. To a Lawyer. Not Fake News. Lousy hunter.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Erno86

I heard about the incident...on a Baltimore, Maryland - CBS Local Evening News TV station - 2/2/18.

The other hunters had to carry the victim from the field to a main road for an ambulance pickup to Easton Airport, then transported by helicopter to UMMS hospital in Baltimore.

https://news.sky.com/story/hunter-kn...-shot-11236301

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 4, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old February 4, 2018, 06:37 PM   #11
langenc

I recall a pheasant hunt that I shot one and could have 'fair catched' it. I didnd and it landed about 4' in front of me.
Old February 4, 2018, 07:09 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

It's better than the dead elephant that J.A. Hunter is said to have had fall on him after its last charge. (Or was it his tracker that ended up under it? -- I need to read the book again.)
Though, according to the stories, the goose did more damage than the elephant.

Thomas Clarke:
Having a highly political attitude about everything won't last long here - especially when doing such in your very first post.
Ease off. Get a feel for the place. And READ THE FORUM RULES.
Otherwise, getting political about everything will end up with a moderator showing you the door.
Old February 4, 2018, 08:55 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Geese falling out of sky so fast you have to dodge them? Sound like a target-rich environment; must be a great place to hunt!
Old February 4, 2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Blindstitch

When waterfowl hunting one must know when to duck.
Old February 4, 2018, 11:44 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Hunter Knocked Unconscious by dead goose Fake News
This report may be fake news, I don't see that it matters all that much, because this kind of thing DOES happen. Rare, indeed, but it has happened before and likely will happen again.

I personally knew someone it happened to, back in the early 80s. He was one of the guys I worked with, avid duck hunter. Shot one, saw it crumple, swung on the bird ahead, and was struck in the head by the duck he just shot.

Missed 3 days of work and had a slight concussion. Whole side of his face was black and blue for a week, and it took a couple days before both eye would focus together...

He got quite a bit of teasing, about "forgetting to duck" , and the Kamikaze duck, etc. Also temporarily changed the usual warning cry from "heads up! / duck" to "mallard!!!!" around the worksite, for a little while...

Given how much heavier a goose is, given the choice, I'd choose duck!
Old February 5, 2018, 09:34 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
This report may be fake news, I don't see that it matters all that much, because this kind of thing DOES happen. Rare, indeed, but it has happened before and likely will happen again.
Considering the millions of waterfowl falling dead to earth every year while millions of waterfowl hunters sit in blinds below them, hard to believe it doesn't happen more often. Especially if the action is hot and one is focusing on a bird other than the one falling towards him. I've been on Snow Goose hunts out west, where there are multiple birds falling outta the sky around you as you continue to focus/look down your barrel in an attempt to get another. I'd think a 10-12 pound goose falling from 90 feet after having a initial flight velocity of 40-50 MPH, could not only knock you out, but break your neck.

Back when I was a kid, there were several of us kids squirrel hunting. One of my friends had just put a scope on his .22, was not used to it and was having a hard time finding the squirrels in the trees with it. While looking thru his scope trying to find a squirrel high above him, someone else shot it and it fell right on my friends gun barrel driving the scope into his face. Only time I ever saw someone get a scope "bite" without firing the gun.......
Old February 5, 2018, 09:43 AM   #17
zipspyder

Gotta agree, if it didn't happen yet it eventually will...
Old February 5, 2018, 10:36 AM   #18
Lohman446

I was once duck hunting from a blind and had a mallard sneak in on a flight path that would have been over us. I shot it and it plummeted towards us. I had to duck and it ended up hitting the post that the blind was built on (inside the blind, upper post) and fell at my feet VERY dead. On attempting to clean it I will tell you the post did FAR more damage than the shot. They are fairly solid animals

I did have a duck "bite" me when I went to retrieve it in the canoe as my friend and I (16 or so at the time) did not have a retriever dog. Friend still laughs about it. Says I went to grab it, moved my hand back, wiggled it off, and then both beat it with the canoe paddle and attempted to drown it with said paddle.
Old February 5, 2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Erno86

"Dead Goose Falls From Sky, Sends Waterfowl Hunter To Shock Trauma"

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/0...by-dead-goose/

--- George Orwell
Old February 5, 2018, 05:33 PM   #20
Mk VII

It's surprising this doesn't happen more often. When the target is on an intercept course and the bearing is not changing, only range and elevation, then a solution is easier.
Old February 5, 2018, 10:30 PM   #21
Thomas Clarke

FrankenMauser,

Your comments are accepted in the kind manner they are given. I have lurked and not posted for years, because I had nothing to add. I will refrain from further comment. Thank you. It is the lack of politics that I like about virtually all posts. I have hunted responsibly for more than sixty years. Until this post never thought I had something to contribute.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:30 AM   #22
zipspyder

Thomas, don't worry we all have had our eye's opened about fake news and the consequences that come with it. Doesn't hurt to point that out whether you are right or wrong. Like I said if it hasn't happened, which it seems it has, it would eventually. I've seen someone peppered with shot, it ain't fun but they were OK. Hate to have a 10LB goose fall on you like a mortar....yikes!
Old February 6, 2018, 12:57 PM   #23
JWT

Damn those geese are vindictive!
Old February 6, 2018, 01:33 PM   #24
Lohman446

Quote:
Damn those geese are vindictive!
Its like they have taken exception to being hunted and killed.
Old February 6, 2018, 04:41 PM   #25
Erno86

I had a male Canadian goose that tried to attack me on the wing at a construction site, when I got to close to his mate with a hidden nest. He took-off an flew up behind me as he came in from the direction of the sun...when I saw his shadow on the ground as he hissed, it made me duck an run from the close call.

Those Canadian geese are highly territorial during there nesting season, and they do have spectacular fights, between nesting pairs; over breeding grounds and mates.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 6, 2018 at 04:55 PM.