The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 20, 2017, 08:53 PM   #26
tahoe2

New caliber? 7x57, 7.65x53, 8x57 are 3 that I use for hunting with mild recoil. They will all meet your needs in an intermediate length (Yugo or Mexican 1910 mauser). However they typically come in a long action to make use of longer bullets, they are all over 100 years-old and perform today as well as any other non-magnum(in my opinion). If you don't handload ammo can get pricey though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2017, 10:08 AM   #27
doofus47

I'm in the .260rem/6.5Creed camp, literally; I shoot a 260 rem. They shoot up, they shoot down. Low recoil and great ballistics.

Someone also suggested 6.5 Arisaka. If you get a nice type 38 carbine (have one) or a type 38 Cavalry (mid length barrel), then you will have a sweet shooting rifle with similar ballistics to the cartridges listed above but with fewer commercial options.

If you are only planning on shooting small/medium game at medium distances, then the 6.5/6.8 AR choices are fun non-traditional choices with lots of commercial ammo choices.

Although I've never personally shot it, the 25 wssm sits somewhere closer to the first of the two groups mentioned above. Rifle platform-wise, it shoots from a really, really short action. Recoil is about the same as the above options. Performance is about like a mid-power 25-06. Commercial ammo choices are about nil, though, and pricey. The cartridge is probably headed for obsolescence, although it will probably be around long enough for you to go hunting for 10 or 15 years, though.
Old March 21, 2017, 10:40 AM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
Issue with them is the relative lack of available brass. And that you won't find 'em in small places. Blindstitch's 6.5 Jap is like that. So is 7.7 Jap. Mind you, you won't find hunting rifles in 'em either.
Brass for the Arisakas can be formed from other cases ..... and I've seen as many Arisaka rifles in small gun shops than I have big box stores ..... and the ones I've seen in the big places have had the snot beat out of em'.....
Old March 21, 2017, 11:22 AM   #29
Gunplummer

"Weird" military brass is available all over the place these days. I recently bought a bag of new 8MMR Lebel brass. Can't get much weirder than that. There is no problem getting Arisaka brass. Actually, there is no problem finding Arisakas either.
Old March 21, 2017, 03:44 PM   #30
taylorce1

Take a look at the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62X39, my preference to the Grendel. It has plenty of power and great bullets for hunting deer. Plus it is oddball enough to keep you happy.
Old March 21, 2017, 04:34 PM   #31
Olympus

I've got my eye out for the new CZ 527 American to hit the market in 6.5 Grendel. I would pick a CZ over a Howa pretty much any day of the week. I'd come closer to buying a Howa if they didn't have the cheesy looking tactical magazine. If they built a 6.5 Grendel in hinged floorplate design or a more sporting format instead of the "tacti-cool" look, then they would have already gotten my money.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old March 21, 2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Paul B.

A 7x57 in a "long" Mauser action isn't all that bad. I built mine on a commercial FN action, used a European style stock similar to what the stock looks like on the current Winchester M70 Featherweights and with scope, sling and a full magazine weighs just 7.5 pounds.
Dunno it you've checked out the M70 Featherweights in 7x57 but they light, feel good and carry very nicely without breaking your arches down.
I also have a Ruger #1A in 757 and neither of the three are for sale. As you can guess I like the cartridge. Recoil from factory ammo is quite mild and my handloads which mimic the 7-08 don't seem to kick that much harder from any of the rifles.
The reason I went with the FN BTW was because the few Mexican Mauser actions I saw were totally ragged out dogs that rode hard and put away wet would have looked better.
You might check out the MRC short action. IIRC, it was slightly longer than most short actions and might be just long enough to accommodate the 7x57 cartridge.
Paul B.
Old March 21, 2017, 04:58 PM   #33
taylorce1

Well I guess he magazine doesn't look any different to me than the CZ's hanging down. The simple fact is the detachable magazine in en vogue right now, and the simplest way to make them work without feeding issues is a single stack magazine. I'd like to see flush mount on both of them with a 5 round capacity.
Old March 21, 2017, 05:35 PM   #34
BIGR

This is a great question from Olympus. I am also searching for a medium caliber rifle for mainly deer hunting. Some reason or another I want to try something different than my 30.06, and 7 MM Magnum. I used a .300 WIN. Mag some also. I have a REM. I am getting older, recoil does not bother me much, I am 6ft 4 In tall and around 230 Pounds. I consider myself to be stronger than average, but there comes a time though when a man says, heck there are other smaller calibers that will do the job just as well with less blast and abuse to the shoulder. I am in my early 50's but at some point our ole body says hey ease up on the abuse. I have also watched the other gals and guys at deer camp that mainly use .270's and a 25.06, killing deer, no problems. Heck its a man thing, you know we think we have to use the biggest, baddest caliber and make the most noise when we pull the trigger. Kind of like my gun is more powerful than yours or my truck is faster than yours.

I used a 30.06 for years, not a dang thing wrong with that cartridge. It did the job on every deer I ever shot with it, I preferred 180 Grain Bullets in thick woods. Used a Browning Bar MK II Safari and a Remington Model 700 XCR. Some reason I got this itch to buy a 7 MM Magnum rifle. I have used it for the last 7 years, taken several deer, mainly using 160 or 162 grain bullets in it. To tell you the truth out to 100 yards I couldn't say either one was better than the other. Where I hunt I have not had the chance to take any shots further than that.

Now has come the time I am thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe a .260. Even thought about trying the ole tried and proven .270 with 130 grain bullets. You guys know how it is, sometimes it is hard to decide.

Any input will be greatly appreciated gals and guys.
Old March 21, 2017, 05:55 PM   #35
amprecon

This is my next hunting rifle a Browning BLR in .358Win, 'cause I don't like bolt actions
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old March 21, 2017, 06:21 PM   #36
lefteye

A .270 with a hunting 130 grain bullet is perfect for deer hunting. I'm old (70) and small (5"5") and I've hunted with center-fire rifles for about 50 years. Many years ago (I think 1974) I bought two Remington 700 BDL left hand .270 Win rifles. After comparing the two with my hand loads (I've never hunted with factory loads), I sold one. Without a doubt it was the worst firearms decision I have ever made and I will regret it until I'm gone. I should have dedicated one to small deer, pronghorns, etc., and the other to large whitetails, elk, and bears. The recoil of a .270 is modest , the accuracy is great, and the cartridge is one of the best of all time.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:22 PM   #37
BIGR

Hey amprecon, I would not rule out a stainless BLR, since I am a left handed shooter. Started out in the 1980's using a Model 94, pre 64, 30-30, so that would not be a bad choice, but I still want a mid caliber bolt gun, probably a left hander to finish out my hunting career.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:33 PM   #38
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
Now has come the time I am thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe a .260. Even thought about trying the ole tried and proven .270 with 130 grain bullets. You guys know how it is, sometimes it is hard to decide.
Depending on range and where you hunt, it really doesn't take a big cartridge to kill deer. I've had success with a 6X47 out to 300 yards on deer sized game. Plus my daughter has successfully used the .223 out to around 150 yards. She has since switched to a .300 Savage and has used it out past 300 yards.

I love the .270 and have used it on many deer and pronghorn and even a few elk. I've also used smaller and larger cartridges, and have found the all work well as long as I'm doing my part. I'd probably go with the 6.5 Creedmoor simply because it's killing the .260 in popularity and there are going to be far more rifles offered in it in the future. However, you can't go wrong with a good .270 Win!
Old March 21, 2017, 06:41 PM   #39
Don Fischer

I'm a big 6.5x55 fan. If you just have to have a short action, Can't blame you. I'd have said get the 260 Rem. But I've been reading quite a bit about the 6.5 Creedmore past few month's and if you hand load, I think I'd consider going there. I think someone said it's on the 308 case. Looking at the 308 and the Creedmore I'd think you could make case's from the 308 by simply running them threw a Creedmore FL die. Them trim and blow the case out a bit.The angle of the shoulder is different but the Creedmore is greater and the measurement across the case at the shoulder is different. But the good new's I hear is there are plenty of factory case's to be had. I hunted with a Rem 660 in 308 with a 20" barrel for years, damn was that a nice rifle, not counting the fence post of a stock they put on it! But after awhile, it was so nice to hunt with I forgot hao buyy ugly that stock was. My son has it now.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:22 PM   #40
hooligan1

I like the .270 win for deerand have shot a truckload of them with a 130 grn B-Tip from Nosler.
I had an 03a3 built with a .270 chambering because its about as smooth as any rifle you could want and super accurate.
Also I had a 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Turkish Mauser action, in which I have put some time and money into, so its going to be my go to rifle for game this year.
Its just barely into testing stage, but I can tell you it has half the recoil of my .270, and thats cool but my .270 ein never bothers me at range or in field, and it will go afield as a backup.
The Creedmoor has more and more commercial loads available everyday it seems like but Im a handloader and first and foremost looking for one hole accuracy, ( it never comes for my hunting rifles, but it keeps the fire lit) thats where any 6.5 has the .277 beat, more bullets available.
The 6.5 drifts less but the .270 has a tad more energy at regular hunting distances.
If I was the OP, I sure would give the Creedmoor a try.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:37 PM   #41
Mr. Hill

A .25-06 (although long action). Or get really different and choose a carbine in .44 magnum.
Old March 21, 2017, 08:40 PM   #42
ThomasT

I have one of the early remington model 7s with a walnut stock, factory open sights and an 18.5" barrel. A very lightweight rifle with Leupold 2X7 on it. I have let a young girl (16) use this rifle on two youth hunts at school and she has killed 4 deer with 4 shots. I loaded 120gr bullets down to a start velocity of 2600fps. It doesn't have anymore recoil than a 243.

I have killed most of my deer with a custom Mauser 98 built by my grandfather. Most of the time I was using hornady 154gr spitzer bullets.

I not too long ago picked up a remington mountain rifle in 7x57. Without a scope it weighs only 6.25 pounds. Not much heavier than the model 7. I haven't hunted with it yet. I may never hunt with it. I think my hunting days are about over. But what a nice rifle it is.
Old March 22, 2017, 07:46 AM   #43
Olympus

New Deer Rifle Caliber

Looks like I'm going to be selling a pistol I've had for a while and never shoot, so I'll have some extra money that I can put toward another rifle too. I've found that I can buy a Howa barreled action only in 6.5 Creedmoor that comes with a 20" sporter barrel for $350. I can slap a Boyd's stock on it and be in for about $500 total. I might give that route a try and keep checking GunBroker for another rifle in a more unique caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2017, 07:39 PM   #44
ripnbst

If you're doing that I'd say buy a bare Rem 700 action from pacific tool and gage and then buy a Bartlein or rock creek or benchmark or (insert brand of choice here) barrel and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and stock of your choice. Then all you need is bottom metal, mags, scope, rings, and a base and you're set. Oh yeah, almost forgot, you also need the smith fees to spin the barrel for you and fit to action, need a recoil lug too, then cerakote...this is how I got my custom rifle haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2017, 10:52 PM   #45
Buckeye!

I have been looking hard at getting a rifle in 6.5 CM for a while now .. 270 Win & 30-30's have been my go to cartriges for a long time .. The 270 Winchester is hard to beat .. 130gr spritzers for long range.. and 150gr RN for Black Bears & hawgs ... No fancy bullets needed ... Federal blue box always performs perfect !

But the 6.5 Creedmoor seems like solid performer .. 260 Win performance ..less recoil and Hornady is producing both target and hunting fodder .,,,
Old March 23, 2017, 11:53 AM   #46
jackstrawIII

Consider the 260 Rem. It's a great round.

You can make your own brass out of (cheap and abundant) 308 brass and load it up with any of the great 6.5 bullets out there. It's a winner, as long as you can find a gun you like that's chambered in it. Not sure what kind of guns you're into and there aren't tons of choices in 260. But there are some good ones out there.

Or you could go with 6.5x55 in a CZ rifle. That's a killer combo too.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:29 PM   #47
Buckeye!

The more I read about the 6.5 CM ,260 & 6.5x55.... The more I appreciate the old 270 Win ..
Old March 23, 2017, 07:58 PM   #48
Wyosmith

^
^
^
This!

I agree 100%
Old March 24, 2017, 08:24 AM   #49
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
The more I read about the 6.5 CM ,260 & 6.5x55.... The more I appreciate the old 270 Win ..

Well I just sold the 270 I had because I never liked it and it kicked more than I prefer and I don't like a long action.
Old March 24, 2017, 10:59 AM   #50
kraigwy

deer don't take much. Anything from a 223 (with heavy bullets) on up. Just depends on how much meat you want or want ruined.

Some have mentioned the 6.5 CM (an excellent choice). Last fall was the first time. I really like the 6.5 CM but don't do like I did. I wanted a long range round so I went the 143 Hornady route. Accurate but at 356 yards it leaves an exit round you can drive a truck through. Good for elk but I'd go lighter bullets.

I tried them all, and they all work. But I've found the 243 or 257 Rbts with 100 gr. bullets are the best conpromise between long range and bullet performance without tearing up meat. Plus light recoil in light rifles.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071