The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Blaze9t8

Will this groove from my Walther cause reloading issues?

Purchased a Walther PPQ M2 5" in 9MM because it just was calling me.
Anyway after firing it the first time I used an ammo nut wizard to collect my brass, never paid any attention to its condition. The second time I forgot the ammo nut wizard and collected the brass by hand and noticed a ring around the casing just behind where the bullet would seat. Upon inspecting the barrel in the cartridge chamber it is machined and at the same area where the ring shows up on the casing is a step in the chamber. I know this does not effect anything but is it ruining my brass for reloading?
Here is a picture, the one on the left is as it was ejected the one on the right is after resizing and depriming. In my mind this ring is like taking a tubing cutter and running it around the case. With the projectile being crimped to the case this area is the weakest link and could tear and try to stay with the projectile.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 9, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: corrected photo link
Old September 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Attaching pics is done easiest by hosting them on photobucket or similar site and then using the link from the site to post the pics on this one.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Won't hurt a thing.
Old September 9, 2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I'm going with Brian on this one.

Load away. Brass is soft and this is of little concern.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Blaze9t8

Thanks, I'll prep them for reloading but will keep them seperate to use in the Walther just to see what happens.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:08 PM   #6
MarkGlazer

I don't know why they do it, but different brands put a ring around the case. It has no effect on your workmanship.
Old September 10, 2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGlazer
I don't know why they do it,
Actually, they do it because the original design for the cartridge included it. It's purpose is headspace. A rimless cartridge with a tapered body (such as 9mm) can only headspace on the case mouth, the extractor (where most do anyway, in reality) or on something like a ring in the chamber.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:31 PM   #8
MarkGlazer

I can always count on a lesson when you answer a post Brian. Thank you for the education.
Old September 10, 2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You shouldn't say that... I was wrong.

I had this inkling that I wasn't remembering that quite right so I looked it up when I got a few minutes....

The purpose is to aid in a complete seal around the brass. It's called a Stepped Chamber.
Old September 10, 2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Jim243

Quote:
With the projectile being crimped to the case this area is the weakest link
The weakest link is "Crimping" 9 mm. If you do not like this gun, then keep doing it till the the case slams beyond the case mouth into the barrel and sticks the slide into your face. Or at least takes off a finger or two.

Jim
Old September 10, 2014, 07:44 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The stepped chamber has nothing to do with headspace. It was part of the initial design of the 9mm Luger pistol. Georg Luger believed that it gave better obturation (sealing of the chamber) and all Lugers into WWII had it. Given all the pistols and SMGs (including Walthers) that do not have it, one can hardly argue that it is necessary, but guns that have it seem to show less soot on the brass and stay cleaner, so Herr Luger apparently had something.

Jim