The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Devdev08

Hunting ammo

I just bought a savage axis ii xp in a .270 and I'm looking to use it for deer hunting this fall and I know I'll have to see what ammo shoots best but I'm not sure what ammo to start with I know the federal fusion is supposed to be good but any suggestions.
Old February 28, 2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Doyle

Federal Fusion is one of my favorites. It shoots accurately and performs well on game in every platform I've used it on. That being said, see if you can get hold of some of the cheap blue-box Federals. If they shoot good in your rifle, there is no need to go to more expensive ammo. They do just fine on deer and hogs.
Old February 28, 2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hard to find a bullet which won't work okay on Bambi. In the .270, most any 130-grain will do just fine. Whatever groups around one MOA would be plenty accurate.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:18 PM   #4
mete

Some makers will tell you that a 130 gr .270 should be used at 100 yds or more . Closer damages too much meat.. I like the premium like Barnes all copper or Swift A-frame . Hunt with those , practice with cheaper ammo.
Old February 28, 2014, 09:55 PM   #5
NCummins

I like Remington CoreLokts. I shoot 130 and 150 grain in my .270. But really all the bonded soft points are pretty much the same. I've heard ballistic tip stuff doesn't do so well up close, I don't know though, my $18 a box CoreLokt has killed every deer I've shot with them. Get some Fusion, CoreLokt, and Federal Blue box and use what patterns best in your rifle.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Once again, Dearly Beloved, you don't ruin meat if you refrain from hitting Bambi in the eating part.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Mobuck

Remington's CoreLokt bullet was designed for killing deer and does so very well. Really no need for more expensive ammo. Federal Fusion and blue box loaded with Sierra bullets is also meant for medium sized game(deer). Personally, I don't like Winchester PowerPoint and don't use it. Hornady has held an accuracy advantage in most every factory ammo caliber I shoot for several years and their standard soft point bullets perform well on deer.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:16 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Once again, Dearly Beloved, you don't ruin meat if you refrain from hitting Bambi in the eating part
This made my day, I love it, thanks.

Anyway, all rifles are different, and like us shooters like different diets. Find one that works for your rifle and go with it.

Deer aren't tough, ANYTHING out of a 270 Win will works, a 130 gr seems to be the most popular, but find a round your gun likes. And as ART said, learn the vital areas of deer and hit that spot and you're not going to ruin meat.

You shoot a deer in the Vitals (heart - lung area), the bullet is going to make a hole in both sides of the rib cage, destroy what's between and do very little damage to the eatable meat (unless you're one of those who likes to eat the heart).

You just need to find a bullet your rifle likes so you can hit that vital area to your normal hunting range...............which in truth, would be just about any 270 ammo you can find.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 1, 2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Cowboy_mo

Let's hear a loud AMEN for Art and Craig!!!!!

IMO, you guys ROCK!
Old March 1, 2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If having to purchase off the store shelf. Try not to get hung up on the bullet advertizement spiel. Federal Rem Win Hornady brands all will serve your purpose just fine. Just a plain jane PSP in any of the brands is more than enough bullet for the game you intend to hunt.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:52 PM   #11
fatwhiteboy

Like everyone has said- Try several brands and bullet weights, compare the results then pick the one that shoots best. I have a Model 70 in .270. I hand loaded up several different bullet weights with various powders and charges. I used Remington Corelokt to zero in the scope. After I got it zero'ed in, I shot a 3 round group using the Corelokts. The first two went through the same hole with the third touching that hole. None of the hand loads were that good so, Remington Corelokt it is....
Old March 2, 2014, 02:16 AM   #12
Pathfinder45

Got Silvertips?

I've always used hand-loaded ammo for hunting, and as such, I have found that the Speer 130 grain flat-base spitzer to be virtual death-ray on deer. Next season I will remount some vintage Silvertips with fresh powder and primers on Super-X cases and give them a chance.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:07 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

You don't have to buy super premium ammo. Really, any thing that shoots well will work. Remington Core Lokts are great and while not the current boutique rage, will work just fine.

Personally, I found that Wichester Ballastic Tips shoot well, and a little cleaner out of my Savage 7mm Rem Mag so I've shifted to them.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:57 AM   #14
thallub

Quote:
Once again, Dearly Beloved, you don't ruin meat if you refrain from hitting Bambi in the eating part.
There are two rules of deer shooting, that's all. Art quoted rule number one.
The other rule is "don't shoot the guts".

Out ancestors killed untold millions of deer using patched round balls, many of them smaller than 40 caliber.
Old March 2, 2014, 09:36 PM   #15
reynolds357

130 GR. Winchester supreme Ballistic Silvertip will probably be the most accurate hunting ammo you can buy factory loaded. For under $70 a box anyway.
Old March 3, 2014, 01:30 AM   #16
Brotherbadger

Quote:
You just need to find a bullet your rifle likes so you can hit that vital area to your normal hunting range...............which in truth, would be just about any 270 ammo you can find.
This. Any of the above recommendations will get the job done. Buy a box or two of what you have local, see which patterns best and go out there. If you aim right, it will do the job.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 3, 2014, 08:44 AM   #17
Devdev08

Thanks everyone for the help I'll pick up some federal fusion and some core lokt and see what happens.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let us know how it works out for you.
Closed Thread