The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
mjes92

.44 mag Load Request

Looking for a low recoil/plinking .44 mag load for the components I have on hand.

Here is what I have:
Clays powder.
180 grain SJHP w/c bullet
Large pistol Magnum primer.

Any suggestions?

This is the closest I could find on Hodgdon.com
185 GR. LRNFP CAST
Hodgdon Clays 4.2 gr = 839 fps 8,900 CUP
6.0 gr = 1043fps 18,400 CUP
NRA - Life Member
Old March 18, 2013, 09:42 AM   #2
cactus5479

.44 Special?

Have you thought about shooting .44 Special loads? It is similar to shooting .38 Special in a .357. Recoil is substantially lighter and the loads work well for practice. The only thing I would not recommend is using lead bullets with the 44 Special in a 44 magnum. The jump from the cylinder into the forcing cone could result in significant leading.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:34 AM   #3
sourdough44

I am a fan of modest loads, when full power isn't called for. I use a lower-mid charge of H Universal for that in the 44 mag. Your Clays may work just fine, but do you have more of a mid speed handgun powder? Something in the Unique range would work great.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

I have loaded thousands of powder-puff loads as I call them for my .44 mag. Ruger Redhawk.
Sorry, I don't post loads on the forum.
But, I will say this, when using very light loads be very aware of 'primer up' and 'primer down' conditions. Meaning primer covered by powder or uncovered. Only shoot those with the primer covered or very unpleasant and very-very excessive pressures can occur.
And, never let anyone else shoot your loads. Never, ever. Because someone is sure to ignore the primer covered advice.
Test carefully.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5
bluetopper

Why not use the load you have listed?

It's for a 5gr heavier bullet plus data is not any where near max pressure.........seems very safe to me. Load 6.0gr and have fun. I would not load any under 6gr because you have jacketed bullets and the remote chance one might stick.

A lot of times you can't find the data for the particular matching components you have. In such cases you must rely on experience and a bit of common sense and make do.

Last edited by bluetopper; March 18, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Why not use the load you have listed?

It's for a 5gr heavier bullet plus you have a cast bullet which will be less friction in your barrel therefore less pressure............seems very safe to me.

No, the OP has a jacketed bullet he wants to substitute for the lead bullet in the published recipe.

Still in a .44 action it should be safe. I too would get some Unique......

ooops...see you were editing while I was posting. Never mind.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
feets

If you want powder puff loads, grab a can of Trail Boss.

IMR states:
Quote:
Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf

They have load data with the 44 mag and 180 gr bullets from 750 to 1100 fps.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:44 PM   #8
reloader28

Mjes, thats the same info I have in my Hodgdon manual too. Personally, I would load it at 4.2gr and start going up.

On a side note, I like Cays. 245gr LSWC shoots EXCELLENT in both my 44mags with 7.5gr Clays right at 1000fps.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:03 AM   #9
mxsailor803

Another vote for Trail Boss here. I've used it a bunch in my .44 mag/special loads. It's perfect for a range powder and low recoil.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10
mjes92

Thanks for the info gentelmen.
NRA - Life Member