The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Beau2365

Marlin camp gun with suppressed ammo

I have a Marlin Camp 9mm and am having trouble finding a load that will exit the barrel. I have a AWC can and am looking for the righr hand load. A friend loaded me a test pack and all hung up in the barrel. The action cycled just fine. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old February 25, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Mobuck

You only have to go below 1200 fps at the muzzle NOT stick the barrel slow.
A medium load with a 147 grain bullet will stay below the speed of sound.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Beau2365

Thank you. My question is if anyone has experienced loads that are subsonic hanging in the barrel. Factory 147's will exit just fine but you compensate increased decibels vs a subsonic round. It would seem that if the subsonic round will operate the action then it should exit the barrel. Any suggestions on a subsonic recipe that has just enough ass to exit the gun?
Old February 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #4
SHR970

Since components are hard to come by right now how about you telling us what you have available to you? From there we can start. I have book safe suggestions but it would do you no good if you can't get the components.

What recipe did your friend use?

Edit: You can stick a sub sonic if you are running too light of a bullet with the wrong speed of powder. Coupled with a weak recoil spring and you can still get ejection.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Torch

The action is cycling fine and the bullets are still in the barrel? This is very bad and raises a serious red flag. Something is either wrong with the barrel or the rounds.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Mobuck

Negative on the "increased decibels vs a subsonic round". There will not be any significant difference in the report(that's what the "can" does). The only difference between super sonic and sub sonic would be the sonic "crack" of the bullet in flight for the supersonic round. Since many 147 grain loads are actually subsonic at the muzzle, there is little to be gained by reducing the velocity even more.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I have seen a few squibs happen in carbines shooting way to light of loads. Those loads worked just fine in 4 inch barrels. They got stuck in the carbines. Load a standard 147 grain load they should work just fine.

Also have you tried shooting standard 115 grain factory loads to see, or rather hear the difference. I know from shooting a suppressed Glock that a friend owns that it was quiet with standard WWB ammo.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Beau2365

I would just go with factory 147's but they are so hard to come by now I figured I could buy the components and get someone to load them for me. I do have a box of Remington golden sabers in 147. And they seem to operate just fine. Maybe the guy loading them just needs to load them a little stronger.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
ThomasT

If the guy thats loading your ammo is just guessing you are in line for a disaster. You need to be cronographing the ammo. If its not leaving the barrel with a healthy velocity and is inconsistant on the speed they are poor loads.

Like I posted in you post in the semi auto forum try some lead bullet loads. Lead goes down a barrel much easier than a jacketed bullet.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:34 AM   #10
Hammerhead

^^^
What he said - lead is the way to go.

You can go much slower without sticking a bullet in the bore. I like liquid alox as a second lube in carbines (to compensate for a longer bore). I would probably go with with a 124-130 grain RN-FP and hand weighed charges charges of Clays or Bullseye. A 147 grainer may not be stable at 50-100 yards if it's going too slow.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Strafer Gott

Yahsoos crap, if they ain't coming out the barrel, they ain't even sonic! How the heck do you chrony those? Get a lot closer, huh?
When you go under minimum loads for jacketed, it won't be long until a rod and a mallet are part of your kit. Get a manual, follow he guidelines. Problem solved.
The camp nine is a blowback design. You hit the pressure level, the breech opens, the bullet stops.

Last edited by Strafer Gott; February 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:58 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

Beau I suggest loading them yourself. I do not want to seem like I am insulting your friend. I have no idea how long he has been reloading, or what his practices are. Any reloader that has been reloading for even a short period of time knows not go below starting data with any load. It can be dangerous.

If you are not comfortable with loading your own then please do yourself, and all those that would be standing near when you shoot a favor, and just wait till ammo is available.