The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 9, 2012, 02:18 AM   #26
pax

Quote:
The advantage I have seen many women bring to their first lesson, though, is that they don't typically fall victim to machismo. IE, they actually listen to instructors, and don't feel they have something to prove - instead, they have something to learn.
I disagree with this one, too.

What I have seen is that most men and most women make excellent students. I don't see a whole lot of these testosterone-blinded men people go on about! Most of the guys I've worked with over the years have worked hard to learn what the instructors had to offer.

A few men are poor students, and a few women women are poor students. The percentage of poor students seems to be about the same between the sexes. It's not common, but it does happen.

Here's the kicker: culturally, women are trained to hide it better when they shut you out. So an instructor who isn't looking for it often misses the attitude shift that says she isn't listening. She starts out pleasant even if someone twisted her arm to get her into class, and she keeps right on being pleasant even if she decides you're full of crap. That doesn't mean she's listening, and it sure doesn't make her a good student; it just makes the instructor less likely to notice the problem.

pax
Old November 9, 2012, 02:52 AM   #27
ka26

I would think it would be the opposite. As a man I would do everything I could to avoid using a gun on an unarmed person if it was only myself that I was protecting but in most cases women aren't as physically strong or quick as males so in many cases they could be physically overwhelmed if only using a blade. Out of the women I've taught how to shoot & basic aspects of self defense with a firearm fortunately none have had to pull the trigger however there was one that had her car blocked in, she immediately drew her handgun, pointed it at the guy, told him to get away from her car. She later told me that she was prepared to pull the trigger if he hadn't backed away & had instead hit her window again as if he were trying to break through.

There are exceptions though of course. My grandfather's wife used to keep a butcher knife next to her bed when my grandfather was out of town, even though there were guns in the house & she knew how to use them.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Sport45

in this case, I believe XX = XY.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:28 PM   #29
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
My friend believes that women should be more preferential to blades because they would hesitate if they were to use a projectile weapon and cites psychology as her reasoning
Your friend never saw my grandmother with her 30-30 or my wife with my 38 super. My next door neighbor was a petite 5' nothing pregnant lady with a infant child and as anti-gun as she could be but when confronted by a drunk in her dining room one evening she pretty much rearranged the guys face when she jabbed him with the shotgun she didn't want her husband to have. If she would have known how to load it his face would have been gone. 30 years later she is quite the trap shooter, not a champion shot but better than me by far at wing shooting. Anybody want to try and break into her house now?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 9, 2012, 03:41 PM   #30
youngunz4life

actually, one can argue that a woman instinctively knows and possibly more than a man when to us a firearm.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:10 PM   #31
zincwarrior

er what? Using a knife is better psychologically is the argument?

My wife's/and daughter's mentality is "don't mess with Mom. She'll shoot you."
Old November 9, 2012, 04:20 PM   #32
zincwarrior

Quote:
It's in ones DNA. Most women are conditioned to be home makes/peace makers.
You never met any of my old girl friends.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:37 PM   #33
pax

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread