The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
dok

Arizona Law - Carrying and Public Self Defense

Greetings,

I live in a dangerous neighborhood in Arizona. I would like to be able to walk at night.

Can someone knowledgeable of Arizona law tell me: would it be legal to carry a shotgun on my walks, and would it be legal to defend myself with deadly force if in imminent danger.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old April 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Wouldn't it be better to ask a lawyer? The defense of "I was told via the internet..." definitely would not stand up in court.

Find out what the local laws are in your city/town.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but reality is, you could be thinking you are doing everything right and still get in a lot trouble and lose your rights to own a firearm.

As far as carrying a shotgun, unless you always carried it in a ready position, I think it could be a bit of a hindrance to you. If open carry is legal where you live (I believe it is), why not get a pistol?

carry a shotgun would also bring a lot of attention your way.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Can someone knowledgeable of Arizona law tell me: would it be legal to carry a shotgun on my walks, and would it be legal to defend myself with deadly force if in imminent danger.
Yes and yes, but walking around with a shotgun will attract a great deal of negative attention, and possibly a strained conversation with law enforcement.

If you are 21, no permit is required for concealed carry of a handgun.

Regarding self-defense, the relevant Arizona statute is Title 13, Chapter 4.

Quote:
I live in a dangerous neighborhood in Arizona. I would like to be able to walk at night.
I will caution you on one thing. Do not assume that having a gun gives you a license to do anything you wouldn't do otherwise. If a situation is likely to present danger, stay away from that situation, armed or not. There are many legal issues involved with presenting or using a firearm.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

It's going to take more than a discussion on a gun forum to get a good, working knowledge of both the defensive use of a gun and the laws governing the use of force in self defense. And a handgun is usually a better choice than a shotgun for a defensive tool to have with you at all times.

I suggest taking some classes. The combination of an NRA Basic Handgun, NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home classes would give you a good foundation. The Personal Protection classes include an overview of the applicable law taught by someone qualified to do so.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 9, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

I think we've covered the ground, so let's cut it off here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread

Tags
arizona laws self defense