The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
weeksteen

Krupp 3 Barrel Shotgun

PRE WW1 KRUPP ESSEN SIDE BY SIDE 12G, WITH 8.8mm 3rD BARREL, DOES ANYONE HAVE INFO ON THIS WEAPON. WAS USED IN THE HERERO REBELLION (SOUTH WEST AFRICA) BY GERMAN MILITARY. ARE MY DATES CORRECT, HOW MANY WERE MADE, IS IT COLLECTABLE? ANY INFO WANTED!
Old September 4, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
SDC

We're going to need more information, and probably pictures to give you any info on this one; "Krupp" was the company in Essen, Germany that would've supplied the steel for building this gun, but I don't believe that Krupp themselves ever built any small arms (but were known for building cannon). The type of three-barreled gun you're describing is known as a "drilling", from the German word "drei" ("three"), and the standard pattern is two side by side shotgun barrels over a single rifle barrel. These were a relatively common hunting gun in Europe and Africa at one time, but I don't believe that they've ever been issued by the military except as survival equipment on German bombers during WW2. In short, we need more info, and preferably pictures, and the better and more detailed those pictures are, the more likely you are to get some good information. There should be a series of proof marks visible on the receiver and barrels when it is taken apart, and those will give an idea of when it was built. The manufacturer should also almost certainly be marked somewhere on the piece, likely either on the floorplate, the sides of the receiver, or the top of the barrels, on a rib.
Old September 5, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3
J F Cooper

Drilling

Like stated, Krupp didn't make drillings, in this case they merely furnished the rough tubes (barrels)to the actual maker. if there is no makers name, it's probably a guild gun, a gun made by the cooperative efforts of many gunsmiths, an actioner, stocker, barrel striker etc.. JFC
Old September 5, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It may have been used by a German officer or soldier, but I am fairly sure it was not military issue. More than likely it was a civilian sporting gun either taken from or used by a civilian.

I can't find any 8.8mm cartridge. If the barrel is marked "8.8" (bore size) the cartridge would have been one of several 9mm cartridges often used in Africa and elsewhere for medium size game. Only a chamber cast would tell for sure, but two good possibilities are the 9x57R Mauser or the 9x70R Mauser, both of which were made specifically for combination guns.

Jim