The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2008, 09:47 PM   #1
akles

Contender hard to open

I have an old style contender that is very hard to open. Is their a kit or something that can be done to make it open with less force Thanks
Old June 13, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Coltdriver

You can send it back to the factory and for about $50 they will perform the mod that addresses this. The hinge pin location and release geometry get fixed.
Old June 14, 2008, 01:59 AM   #3
bswiv

I've got a old one ( 25+ years old. ) that is the same way. I've just gotten used to it. If you shift the point of finger pressure on the release as far down as possible it should be tolerable. Unless yours is a lot owrse than most it's hard to justify the cost of fixing it. Heck, the shipping and the return to a FFL will cost as much as the fix............?
Old June 14, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Pahoo

Understand that I am not a smith so please excuse my terminologies. I have repaired this problem before and have more Contenders than I care to admit. Problem seems to vary from barrel to barrel. When you pull down on the trigger guard, there are two fingers inside that push on two lugs of what I call the locking wedge. You will find these on the lower rear of the barrel lug. If you hold the muzzle up on the barrel and push down on a soft surface, you will see this lacking wedge retract against a compression spring. The problem is that this locking wedge, is not clearing the engaging area of the frame. You will notice that the locking wedge, has a taper on the top side. This tapered area is where it locks on the frame. The taper has a range to accomodate the difference in frames. You are on one end of it's range and thats why it's so darn hard to disengage. I would leave the frame as is and sure you will see a difference if you try a different barrel. So what was my fix??? Hope I say this right!!

There is a flat face on the end of the locking wedge, that ransitions to the taper. Carefully file and hone this flat face and it's important to keep it square and true. Perform this a little at a time just until you see some results. Listen to the project and it will tell you when you are there. Be very conservative.

Or, you can send it to these guys and they will take care of the problem and more. ..... http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 14, 2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: note