The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
topspin43

Any experience with Red Dots on a autoloader?

I recently set up my SA 1911 (9mm) with a grip rail and a BSA Red Dot. Some of you know that I use this rig for my bowling pin-shooting league. I bought an A-1 halo (single lens - around $60 ) and by the time I got to my 100th round the red dot was a foot off zero at 50 feet (high and right). Figured it was me. This week I took the el cheapo BSA 40mm off my .22 and bolted IT to the 9mm. This scope has worked wonderfully on my .22 for over 2000 rounds. 100 rounds and the same thing happened. Of course, the guys think I am shooting blanks.

My question is this... Are red dots made for centerfires or is the recoil too much for them? Is the problem cheap optics and I need something more substantial and more expensive? The A-1 was advertised for centerfires yet it self destructed just as quick as the BSA. Lastly, has anybody had any luck with a Red Dot on their target centerfire pistol? I'm a little frustrated here.

By the way the SA 1911 "Loaded Target" is an awesome pistol. 9mm keeps the ammo prices down and the gun is accurate as heck. I shoot better with just the adjustable open sights... and if all else fails... that's what I will use. But it's hard to beat those guys with the scopes and red dots.
Old July 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #2
GrandmasterB

Quality red dot sights on quality mounts hold zero very well. Look at the CMore as many, many USPSA shooters use these extensively.

Old July 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
VUPDblue

My BSA red dot works fine on my .22's but for centerfire I would look at Leupold or Bushnell (holosight)