The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2005, 09:52 AM   #1
markbsam

32-20 wcf - Contender Question

I have just started reloading for 32-20 wcf for a TC Contender. The TC version of this venerable cartridge uses 30 cal. bullets, rather than the standard .311, to allow for a larger selection of bullet variety. Upon the arrival of Rcbs dies, Win. nickel plated brass, Midway 110 gr. RN bullets; I lightly chamfered the cases with a Lyman VLD tool, deburred the flash holes,resized the cases, primed. Then I did something a bit non-standard, the Speer #11 manual ,and other sources, say that you must get a 30 cal expander plug for your 32-20 dies, but I just used a 30 Carbine expanding die. I didn't and don't see why this will not work as the case wall is not supported during this step. The final result was a cartridge that lacks enough neck tension ie. they aren't falling out but with a fair amount of work you can push them in with your fingers. My best thoughts are that VLD chamfer tools and nickel-plated brass don't mix, peeled somewhat, or I am missing something obvious. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.
Old March 16, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
hivel37

Mark, I load for a Contender, but not 32-20. You may try a factory crimp die if one is available for that cartridge. If you can't find one, I wouldn't worry about it. For sure you're not running them through a magazine.
Old March 16, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
markbsam

Wrong Bullet

I don't have a crimp die yet. The bullets didn't have a cannelure so there is no hope for a roll crimp and considering the era of the original loadings I wonder if a taper crimp die is available. Thinking about pulling the loads anyway;loaded with (Contender Only) data ie. 10gr. 2400 which puts on par with 30 Carbine, already have a Carbine barrel and I don't need the BLAST. Resize and proceed carefully with expander. Living in hope lol. Won't get Nickel brass again too slick when the case walls are that thin. Thanks much for the post. You might want to look at the the 32-20 its a real pleasure to shoot and will strike fear into the heart of any Groundhog or smaller beasty.

Last edited by markbsam; March 17, 2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: found problem
Old March 17, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4
markbsam

Wrong bullet diameter

Bullet diameter was actually .307. Sold by Midway as 30 Carbine and they may be fine for the stated purpose. My bust.
Old March 17, 2005, 05:32 PM   #5
griz

Maybe I'm missing something. The 30 carbine dies I use comes as a two die set and doesn't have an expander die. Do you mean the expander button on the decapping stem?
Old March 18, 2005, 09:48 AM   #6
markbsam

different dies

Using a three die carbide tc set RCBS. it is kind of weird considering that the carbine is a tapered case.
Old March 18, 2005, 09:23 PM   #7
griz

I didn't even know they made a three die set for the carbine. I use Lee carbide dies and it is a conventional two die set like other rifles use. What puzzles me is why they have an expander at all for the cal. No need for it for arbine brass, at least with jacketed bullets. At any rate, if the expander is made like a regular pistol die expander, I would have guessed it would work.

I would try seating a bullet in a new case with nothing done to it but chamfering. If it will not seat then you could flare the case just enough with something like an empty 223 case. I would think with thin 32-20 brass you wouldn't even need to tap on it, hand pressure would be enough. If that results in a tight fit, it might be the expander for the carbine is bigger than the .308 expander for the 32-20. I'm thinking the thinner brass might not need a very big expander. You could measure it, but I'm not sure what the dimension should be. Good luck.
Old March 18, 2005, 09:40 PM   #8
drinks

.32-20

Mark;
Lee has a factory crimp die, a collet crimp type, I use them in several sizes and they duplicate factory crimps on Federal and W/W ammo.
The .32-20 die is # 90851, factory list, 11.98, Midway price,8.59.
This will take care of any crimping needs you have.
Don
Old March 20, 2005, 01:43 PM   #9
markbsam

Square one

Thanks for the help. Especially the crimp die and alternate expanding methods; I had never thought of or have heard of using a spent case as a neck expander, resourcefull. I have been reading the posts on this site without actually participating. Have to say that most of you guys know your stuff and I admire your willingness to collaborate on the more interesting problems. Thanks again.