The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2000, 09:06 PM   #1
Brian R

I have a double barrel 12 gauge that I have been thinking about sawing off for a home defense gun.

The only thing that has made me hesitate is that it is a 1945 Geo Worthington, and I dont know if it is rare or valuable or neither.

Anyone out there ever heard of 'em?
Old February 15, 2000, 11:14 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I dunno either, so I'd recommend re-posting to Harley's forum.
Old February 16, 2000, 06:48 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Been around shotguns a long time, but never heard of that one.

Also, when the bbls are shortened, oft the patterns drift apart. This may or may not be deletrious for your purposes.

Unless you've 30" bbls or more, why shorten it? Lay that untouched piece down next to a riot bbled pump, they're close to the same now...

And extremely short shotguns are not all that crucial for HD, unless you're 4'6" and built like Tinker Bell(G)...
Old February 16, 2000, 05:12 PM   #4
Shok

I would get a inexpensive pump at the pawn shop for HD. In my opinion #4-#8 shot is best for HD so I wouldn't recomend shortening it. 28" barrel gives maximum velocity. 26" a little more manageable with only slight velocity loss. Any shorter then 24" I wouldn't bet my life on it unless your shooting buckshot or slugs.

Shok
Old February 16, 2000, 11:48 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Depends where the gun was made. The name sounds like it may be of British origin, and probably worth a few bucks if it is. Then again it may be a piece of junk. You might want to ask at the double gun bulletin board:
www.gunshop.com
Someone there might be able to tell you about the gun.

Geoff Ross
Old February 17, 2000, 10:39 AM   #6
muleshoe

Shok:
I've got a 870 Special Field with a 21" barrel in a 20 ga. It's killed pheasants at 40+ yards easily, I always have my mod. choke screwed in. I also killed a turkey with it at about 35 yds. last year with 4 shot. I'm sure there is some loss of velocity in a shorter barrel, but I'd trust my life with it. Always keep 4 or 6 shot pheasant loads in it for HD. I wouldn't want to take a round out of it from anywhere in my house.

Brian R:
I've never heard of that beast either. Don't saw it off till you know what you have. Shok suggested an inexpensive used pump, that would be my suggestion also.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old February 19, 2000, 05:38 PM   #7
ctdonath

1. How short are you going to make it? 18" or less can get in some extremely deep $#@!.

2. Why a double-barrel for home defense? Once those two shots are gone - and that's not very many - reloading could be a problem if the situation is not done.

3. Get a pump-action made for the task. It will hold more rounds and likely be easier to handle.
Old February 19, 2000, 07:50 PM   #8
johnbt

Hi. The G. Worthington is one of the dozens of brands made for others by the Crescent Co. of Norwich Connecticut. In this case made for G. Worthington Co. of Cleveland OH. They don't list prices for these 'hardware' guns. (Info. from Schwing's '99 Standard Catalog of Firearms.) John
Old February 21, 2000, 06:16 PM   #9
TEXAS LAWMAN

REGARDING VELOCITY LOSS IN SHORT BARRELS:

The latest research I've read indicated that maximum velocity in shotguns is reached in 14-16", after which, the velocity declines. So I do not see how shortening shotgun barrels to 18" (federal minimum) would lessen velocity.
Old February 21, 2000, 09:11 PM   #10
ctdonath

Where'dja get that velocity info? I'd be surprised to think that my 14" barrel (yes, it's legal) delivers more umph than the matching 18.5" one.
Old February 21, 2000, 09:12 PM   #11
ctdonath

Where'dja get that velocity info? I'd be surprised to think that my 14" barrel (yes, it's legal) delivers more umph than the matching 18.5" one.
Old February 21, 2000, 09:14 PM   #12
ctdonath