The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Fouling with RL 10X in a .204 Ruger

Working up loads for a Ruger .204 I went with what seems to be a very popular set of components:
Rem 7 1/2 primers
R P brass
Reloader 10X
Sierra 39 gr. Blitzking

I worked up a load that shot wonderful (unbelievable for me) groups of 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch, shot fairly deliberately and the weather was cool--it was last November. Thought I had already died and gone to heaven. The powder load was 24.9 gr. of RL 10X---just two tenths of a grain under max. No pressure signs.

When I went on the first serious prairie dog shoot early this spring, after a few rounds accuracy seemed to vanish. I cleaned the barrel after 25 or so shots, and was still having disapponting results. Set up my portable target at 100 yards and the groups were 3-4 inches. This was shooting off a good rest.

Cleaning the barrel up at home was a revelation. The patches were coming out black as coal, and it took a lot of elbow grease to get the bore cleaned. I had about 60 rounds left that were RL10X and 39 BK. Next prairie dog shoot, took those loads and tired again. Several shots were good, then things got weird. Cleaned up the bore---patches came out black---tried again---same results.

What has me cranky is the fact that I found some RL 10X at Recobs Target shop so bought 5 pounds. Now I have 4 unopened canisters left that I would rather not use, unless there is something that can solve the fouling problem.

To continue this saga, I had a couple of pounds of Benchmark, so worked up a load using the 39 BK's and Benchmark. Accuracy off the bench is not quite as good as the original results with 10X, but still around 1/2 inch groups of 3. Yesterday I shot 100 rounds of the Benchmark load. Cleaned the bore at 50, but didn't really need to. Accuracy never went south, and when cleaning the rifle today it was simple--two wet patches with Wipe-Out Patch-Out, 4 dry patches, put the gun away---clean as new.

Any insight on the Reloader 10X? If it is crappy, I am not interested in pawning it off on some other hand loader so he can suffer.
Old September 5, 2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No insight on 10x but I can verify your experience with Benchmark. I literally cleaned my .204 after it had been so long that it just seemed like I probably should since I couldn't remember the last time. I could still look down the barrel and see it shine. That was at least a box and 3/4 of 32gr V-Max though it.... 175 rounds. I know I hadn't cleaned it in that time but don't remember prior.

It is odd that you had no trouble in the work-up but it only took a few rounds after. Have you done a good copper cleaning? I've never had any trouble with that in my .204 either but I had a .22-250 go all to hell and the copper foam came out purple....
Old September 5, 2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Hey Brian--Thanks for the response!

To answer your question, yes to the copper cleaning. I tried using "Wipeoutpatchout" the recommended way, and eventually the patch's would come out snow white. Then after the 2nd episode I used Hoppes #9 and brass brush, took a day and every so often would wipe out the bore, resoak it with #9, let it sit for a while, brush the hell out of it, wipe it out and repeat. Same deal, got it squeaky clean, and took it out, and same old same old.

I don't remember the exact sequence when working up that load. Seems like I did the usual run up to max load, with a couple of cleanings in the sequence. I was still breaking in the barrel at that point and did the Hoppes number 9 and brush every few rounds. Then when the accuracy was evident at 24.9 gr. there was another range trip with 50 rounds premade and the COL was set for touching the lands, and my RCBS Rockchucker in the truck. Started by setting COL at the range a couple of hundredths off the lands and shot a few, then went longer, then shorter, and finally back to factory Sierra data spec for COL. Factory spec was the most accurate. Funny about that, huh. Anyway then I cleaned and shot four groups of three, by shooting a round at each 3" Shoot'nSee, so every 4th shot was at the same target. Had 4 groups that never exceeded 3/8". So I thought I had it nailed.

I wonder if 10X reacts poorly to heat. I tried some loads that were developed with 10X for my 222 Rem. Same damned thing--were really accurate at the range, but when I started pounding the prairie dogs, accuracy went south. When I cleaned that 222 the bore was filthy.

I wondered if I got cans from a bad lot. Two of the one pound cans were of one lot number, and the other three were another lot no. I have considered maybe opening one of the cans from the other lot number and trying some loads with that.

To say the least I am not happy with Alliant. I emailed them and related the results, and all I got in response were crickets chirping.

Thanks again! I needed to vent.

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; September 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old September 6, 2014, 08:41 AM   #4
243winxb

Alliant does not list a 10X load for the 204. For a cleaner burn, try magnum primers, more neck tension, seat bullet shank (full diameter) at neck shoulder junction. Dont try to reach the rifling by seating bullets to a long COL.
Old September 6, 2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

10x is a fast powder, I would be shocked if it required a magnum primer and I wouldn't use it if it did. The .204 and the other small rifle cartridges that it's designed for are much too small to use magnum primers (for best accuracy).

QuickLoad assumes the use of a mild primer. If I put your data in (but using my .204's case capacity) I get 3,824fps in a 24" barrel with 100% powder burn at 19" bullet travel (21.2" barrel length).

To give you an idea of how fast 10x is, it is one of only 6 powders (not counting Trail Boss or Tin Star) predicted to burn 100% before bullet exit.
Old September 6, 2014, 12:07 PM   #6
243winxb

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_sierra.php Yes, i know what "M" means after reloading for over 40 years.

Last edited by 243winxb; September 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Yes, i know what "M" means after reloading for over 40 years.
Old September 6, 2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sierra shows Federal 205M primer. "M" is for Match, not magnum.
Old September 6, 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

204 Ruger

As the others mentioned, copper fouling destroys accuracy. Just last week my hunting buddy was becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of consistency with his prized 30-06.

A good cleaning and removal of the copper crud from the barrel was all it took to restore the accuracy.

BTW I found 32gr Hornady V-Max is a bit more accurate in my single shot .204.
Old September 6, 2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Load data from Alliant for 10X

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_alliant.php

39 Gr. Sierra BlitzKing RL-10x 21.6 3200 25.1 3700

Alliant load data, IMO is fairly low rent. They don't provide nearly as much data as most other powder manufacturers. This data is from Rugerhunting.com which provides data from several component manufacturers. There is a forum for hand loading the .204 Ruger, and one of the favorite loads is using those components.

When 10X first came on the market, there was evidently lots of problems with the stuff being filthy, and fouling. Allegedly Alliant corrected their formulation and things are supposedly all better. I am not convinced, nor am I happy with this.

The moral of this story is: Before stocking up any component test it thoroughly before committing much money to buying lots of the item. If this squirrel rodeo we have experienced with hoarding and shortages didn't exist, that is normally my way of doing things---buy one can, shoot it up, and if it has been good, buy more. But I over committed and bought a bunch, because I "assumed" this stuff worked.

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; September 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Grammar, etc
Old September 6, 2014, 10:40 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

Thanks!

I appreciate everybody commenting. Makes it bearable to talk it over with other shooters.