The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1

Deer season is over........what now?

I just replied to this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510900

So, I got to thinking and would like to throw the question out there, what do you fellow members do after slaying of the brown demon ends?

Do you small game hunt? Hog Hunt? Yotes?.........and so on.

I always talk about going rabbit / squirrell hunting or threaten to take up yote hunting but for me, ice fishing gets in the way. Call me crazy, but I love sitting in a heated shanty bringing up some tasty Bluegills, Crappie, or Perch. Also, living in Michigan gives me the opportunity to fish for Huge.......I mean some of the biggest you'll find Walleye out on Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron). There is nothing quite like catching a 30 plus inch 10 -12 lb. Walleye on a 30 inch ice rod.

Let me hear from you guys and gals.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; January 3, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
jmr40

Waterfowl season till the end of January. Small game until the end of February. Also a good time to get to the range and work on load development. Nobody else shoots there when it is cold and I usually have it by myself from sunup until noon. Take a couple of weeks off and turkey season starts in mid March till Mid May. June, July and August for fishing and practice at the firing range. Squirrel opens again in mid August and back to deer from mid Sept. to January 1.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

Deer ain't the only critter that wears hair and if it wears hair I hunt it.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
hooligan1

"Brown Demon"? We call them deer. there are no demons involved, for me.
The answer to the question What Now.... clean your rifle work up some more loads, buy another scope for that other rifle in the corner, take your mother in law out to dinner......
Old January 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5

hooligan1

Think of "Brown Demon" as a term of endearment.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; January 3, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:59 PM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

I'd like to ice fish,, Problem is can't find any ice ; ) PS I do small game hunt

Y/D
Old January 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
1tfl

Waterfowl and small game.
Hogs all year long.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
PawPaw

I start getting ready for next season. In another week or so, I'll take the .22 out for a late season squirrel hunt. See if I can kick up a cottontail. Tramp the woods for a little while.

Then load development, get out the pistols for the spring pistol shooting season. There's lots to do for a gunny, all year long. Sometime this spring I want to build another box stand and put it up so the deer will get used to it by next November.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9
jimbob86

We have 2 more weeks of Anltlerless Late Season ..... this year limited to the riverbottoms.

Daughter Jac still has a tag to fill, and does not go back to school til the 8th.

After that it is Reloading Season until it is warm enough to go outsid and call turkeys. Then it's Prairie Dog Season, followed by Bowling Pin...... which lasts until Dove in September...... and then fall turkey, and then it's deer season again, followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas Season!
Old January 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #10
JGC

how about mountain lion? not sure how u feel about it but they say it tastes like pork. Suppose to be one of the toughest animals to hunt, in case you want a challenge. Not to mention you would be helping out the research project and deer population.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
redrick

Squirrel and rabbit after this Saturday.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
how about mountain lion?
Never seen one. Never will, Officially.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Aikibiker

You could take time to contact your representatives and ask them to oppose any new gun or magazine capacity bans.

After that I hear hog hunting is fun.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old January 3, 2013, 05:53 PM   #14

Wow, some of you guys really have your year planned out or it's just a vicious repeating cycle that goes on year after year after year. I too have some load development to get after and I'm planning to purchase a 12 or 20 guage slug barrel for my Encore. So, you know that means a scope purchase and mounting project too. A box blind will probably go behind the house to replace the Ameristep pop up..................but that's after the fishing!

And I'm out on the Moutain Lion. Maybe if it tasted like chicken instead of pork.

Old January 3, 2013, 06:08 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Our hunting starts in September (Antelope) and ends in early/mid October (Elk, and/or Deer).

Once it's over, we start planning for the next one.

In the mean time, there are coyotes to kill, rabbits/hares to chase, and a few birds worth eating.

I wanted to get out before Chukar season is over, but my shotgun decided it was worn out; and my backup (.44 Mag with custom shot shells) is in Ruger's hands for a new cylinder. I could use my .444 Marlin with .410 loads in .444 cases, in a pinch; but effective range is quite limited, and I only have 3 cases for shot loads. - Maybe next year.

In the Spring, it'll be time to hit the rodent population for erosion and coyote food control measures. Everything from .22 Short, to .270 Win, to .416 Rigby, to .450 Nitro will come out of the woodwork, to blast the ground squirrels and jack rabbits (if it was a good year for jacks).

But, between now and June, we have several drawings to enter, if we want to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit in 2013. Utah big game first. Then, Wyoming big game and Wyoming antlerless. Then Utah antlerless. Then Wyoming bonus points (if not taken care of in the draw). Then we buy an over-the-counter Elk tag, if applicable.

My first application is due Jan 31. Time to get crackin'.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #16
warbirdlover

Rabbits
Old January 3, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
camper4lyfe

Squirrels, crows, and ice fishing!
Old January 3, 2013, 10:24 PM   #18
BerdanSS

How about a search for the ever elusive and extremely rare Rott'a'lope?

Be nice, I know he's small but the little fella is just a pup and camera shy as they get

Personally After muzzle loader went out.....I don't even think about it. I've just been doing this.... wring my hands around rifle....clean hunting gear....look at new hunting gear and rifle....cuss the 41 (yes I really saw and counted 41 ) brown @#!%$!#@ I saw on the drive around to the barn to feed the horse around 6:20 this afternoon.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:40 PM   #19
reynolds357

Hunt squirrels, yotes, and maybe hogs. Hogs kind of venture one and off my property. I like it best when they are off.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Deja vu

I go for water fowl and turkey. Wolves are open too here in Idaho but that does not help you.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 4, 2013, 02:10 AM   #21
bamaranger

It ain't over 'till............

We're still deer hunting in AL........Lord I love it, to a fault. Season ends last of Jan and the rut is just starting to roll....saw 11 deer last night on patrol and 6 were bucks......in an area with few deer sightings prior. Time to hunt.

In Feb I fool around w/ coyotes, and do some post season deer scouting as the access roads stay open 'till Feb. I also run my trashy beagles a bit on rabbits just a little. March....turkey scout. South zone opens 15March, but I don't hunt it so much anymore. Not worth the drive. Time better spent dialing in some birds closer to home. April ....spring gobblers!!!!! I threaten every year to trout fish in E. Tn in May, but have not made the trip in 10 years.

Lord, I hate mowing the grass.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #22
thallub

i'll hunt rabbits and squirrels and continue to hunt and trap wild hogs. During the past year we drastically reduced the hog population in one area. We see more deer there now.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Gunplummer

Still going out for late doe a little, then it is "Try to catch up on what I put off for hunting season" time.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:41 AM   #24
bswiv

The tractor will get a lot more time put on it as we're doing our first year of prescribed burning and the fire lanes need a lot of work before we can do it.

After that.......turkeys/fish/fish/fish/gators!............
Old January 5, 2013, 08:29 AM   #25
hooligan1

Yotes, and other various targets of oppurtunity. I have a lot of .243 ammo to use, and some new .270 loads that I would like to see used on coyotes. Lakes are all frozen but not safe for fishing yet. Rabbits might be an option.
More aggresive load developement in my 30-06 will likely be a winter of content for me.