The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 25, 2012, 10:38 AM   #1
pghrich

The "UPS STORE" is not #1 in customer service

Hello, i boxed up my old civilian to send it back to cabelas took it up to the local ups store, the girl looked at me funny and asked whats in here, i said a reploduction colt 1851 muzzleloader revolver, well some guy came up from the back and asked me if he could open the box and of course i said yes, he removed the cabelas box from the carton and then removed the revolver from the cabelas box and said sorry can't ship it, he said if its loaded with powder and ball it would fire, i said thats correct, he told me to take it to a real ups hub, i said ok and left, is this normal? pghrich
Old September 25, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

No, C&Bs can be shipped from a UPS store. Used to do it all the time until I ended up having to retrain new clerks & pay their high prices. If you have a UPS return postage paid label; they shouldn't have asked what was in the box anyhow. Just accepted it and went on.

I use Priority or Flat rate USPS now. Much simpler.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 25, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
pghrich

Hello, it absolutely had a prepaid ups lable on it, i was told that a "ups store" is not allowed to ship firearms they do not work directly for ups, kind of confusing, but i can take it to a real ups hub that is much further away from where i live, pghrich
Old September 25, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Your UPS store guy is wrong when it comes to replica or antique muzzleloading firearms. But..............
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 25, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
FrontierGander

muzzleloaders/firearms have to be shipped through the main ups hub, our local ups store did the same thing to me so its no big deal.

Ship USPS, they accept them.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Willie Sutton

People make up their own problems.

Question: "What's in the box"

Three choices are below. Pick the "path of least hassle" one and let's see how we do:

Choice A: "machine parts"

Choice B: "None of your business"

Chpice C: "Well, it's a gun, but according to the GCA of 1968 it's not a firearm, <insert long and confusing explaination here>.

Ta-Da... It's a self imposed penalty on dumb to anyone not picking the correct answer.

Willie

Old September 25, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
pghrich

Thats are fine and dandy, but what to do when he asks to look inside and finds a firearm instead of machine parts? pghrich [ and btw i am not dumb just honest]
Old September 25, 2012, 01:14 PM   #8
mykeal

Tell him to keep his hands to himself and ask to see the manager. And if he says, "I'm the manager," say, "I need the name and address of your supervisor."
Old September 25, 2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

"Thats are fine and dandy, but what to do when he asks to look inside and finds a firearm instead of machine parts?"

Why in the world would you take an open box to be shipped?

Pack the box yourself, tape the damned thing shut, take it in and ship it.

This is not rocket science.

Willie

Old September 25, 2012, 02:02 PM   #10
pghrich

in order to save all the grief i am just going to make the trip to a real ups hub, but i am going to go back to the ups store and give them a piece of my mind for future reference, pghrich
Old September 25, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
mykeal

Not worth the effort. That's their turf. Puts me in the mind of the homily about wrestling with a pig - you both get dirty and he likes it.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
orangello

Probably better not to do business with those who don't want your business, IMO. I would let them know why i would be doing ALL of my shipping elsewhere.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:45 PM   #13
straight-shooter

Ran into this conundrum about 6 months ago. I called the national UPS and was told their nationwide policy is to not ship "any" firearms including black powder replicas. Basically I was being told they would not ship it even if I took it to the main hub.

I took the BP pistol to USPS and they shipped it no problem. Yes, they knew what was in the box.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:49 PM   #14
pghrich

willie

The box was not open when I took it there; so please read the thread before you make insults pghrich
Old September 25, 2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Willie Sutton

No insults intended (hope you don't think I was insulting you)... I should have added a

A sealed box handed to the UPS place has never ever elicited a "what's in there" question in the 25 years I've been shipping boxes. And if it did... it's going to be "machine parts" no matter if it's a BP Revolver or a camera or a scuba regulator or a computer or the fuel control unit of a jet engine.

Willie

Old September 25, 2012, 08:48 PM   #16
RamItOne

Every time I shipped my Sig back to NH (almost a dozen times) I slapped on the ups label and went to the UPS store. They only asked if anything was explosive or hazmat. Never volunteered any info
Old September 25, 2012, 09:07 PM   #17
North East Redneck

UPS, not so good IMO. Ship USPS. No problems there. And as far as 'what's in the box' questions, firearms of any type are subject to theft. I would never say that a gun is being shipped. (Not saying you should violate any law), but if your actions are legal, why reveal to a stranger that a weapon is being shipped? The 'machine parts' reply is perfect. It is the truth, and keeps the nature of the contents of the package safe. Just my .02.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Redneck
UPS, not so good IMO. Ship USPS. No problems there. And as far as 'what's in the box' questions, firearms of any type are subject to theft. I would never say that a gun is being shipped. (Not saying you should violate any law), but if your actions are legal, why reveal to a stranger that a weapon is being shipped? The 'machine parts' reply is perfect. It is the truth, and keeps the nature of the contents of the package safe. Just my .02.
For starters, it would help to be certain that your actions are legal. I'm not certain how or if UPS rules apply to black powder replicas, but I DO know that the same Federal law that says handguns cannot be shipped USPS and must be shipped by common carrier also stipulates explicitly that the carrier must be informed that the package contains a firearm.

So call it "machine parts" if you wish, but if you do you not only violate UPS or FedEx rules (which could invalidate any insurance you paid for), it also violates Federal law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATFE FAQ
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Old September 26, 2012, 05:01 AM   #19
pghrich

willie

sorry for the rant, i guess i took your post the wrong way, thanks rich
Old September 26, 2012, 05:08 AM   #20
4runnerman

pghrich- Sorry for your issues with UPS. I ship with them on a regular basis also. Short of being asked if i want Insurance on the package,i have never been asked what's inside. I would be very much offended if they did ask.
When you have a return label from a company (AKA RGA ) their should be no questions at all. I would write it off as rookie employies or just poor service
Old September 26, 2012, 05:58 AM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Funny how many people feel it is okay to resort to dishonesty when it suits their purposes, but otherwise will claim honest is part of being an upstanding citizen.

If you are going to lie about the contents, then insurance is pretty pointless.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:28 AM   #22
Willie Sutton

Note to all (Including Moderators):

This was originally posted in the BLACK POWDER AND REPLICA forum and was germane to BLACK POWDER REPLICAS that are NOT FIREARMS AS DEFINED BY THE GCA.

This makes many of the comments on the thread prior to it being moved NO LONGER RELEVENT. This includes the comments that I made.

Moving it was, in my humble opinion, poorly thought out by the moderators due to the HUGE difference in the laws regarding shipping black powder replicas v/s modern firearms.

Willie

Old September 26, 2012, 06:32 AM   #23
Willie Sutton

For starters, it would help to be certain that your actions are legal. I'm not certain how or if UPS rules apply to black powder replicas, but I DO know that the same Federal law that says handguns cannot be shipped USPS and must be shipped by common carrier also stipulates explicitly that the carrier must be informed that the package contains a firearm.

They are legal, and this is old news.

Black powder replicas are NOT firearms as defined by federal law, and are not restricted from shipping by anyone, including the USPS. In fact, among black powder enthusiasts, shipping by flat rate box from the post office is the preferred method. No notification is required, because although it may LOOK like a firearm, it is not. There is thread after thread on this in the cowboy action and black powder forum.

Willie

Old September 26, 2012, 06:33 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Not worth the effort. That's their turf. Puts me in the mind of the homily about wrestling with a pig - you both get dirty and he likes it.
My thoughts exactly. I'd leave it be.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:08 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"This was originally posted in the BLACK POWDER AND REPLICA forum and was germane to BLACK POWDER REPLICAS that are NOT FIREARMS AS DEFINED BY THE GCA."

That is true, but the subject of this thread -- shipment of guns -- is of interesting to more than just black powder shooters as it goes towards issues that we all may have when trying to ship any kind of gun (including air or gas powered guns) through independent/contracted shipping stores. It's pretty evident that, no matter what the law says as to their status, that the shipping stores are focusing only on the fact that these are guns.

However, to address your concern, the redirect link in the Black Powder forum has been made permanent, instead of the normal 1 week duration.

"This makes many of the comments on the thread prior to it being moved NO LONGER RELEVENT. This includes the comments that I made."

I would say that that is simply not the case.

"Moving it was, in my humble opinion, poorly thought out by the moderators due to the HUGE difference in the laws regarding shipping black powder replicas v/s modern firearms."

Your opinion is noted.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM.