The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
mnhedrick

how to learn to reload

Hi all,
I am new here and sorry if this a redundant post. I have been a shooter for the best part of my life, but this is one skill I don't have yet. How and where could I go about learning these skills?
Thanks so much
Nathan
Old February 20, 2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Shootest

Read The ABCs of Reloading and Lyman’s 49th Reloading manual. Then read them again. Look in your local shooting range/gun club for a mentor. Come back here and ask all the questions you come up with.
Old February 20, 2012, 07:56 AM   #3
rtpzwms

Ask at the LGS or check the local ranges for someone that might be willing to show you. Some of the LGS have a "micro class" and some of the ranges also offer classes. Check the NRA for classes on reloading as well.

I knew a few people that were reloading when I got my start so I could ask a lot of questions. If you've been shooting a while I'll bet you know a few people as well. But now we have youtube, but be careful with some of the videos. Check the videos with a good manual and you should be able to figure it all out.

Also this is a great resource of information. You'll get a lot of answers to each questions. Some are great at explaining the process in several different ways so you're sure to get one that makes sense to you. Lastly there are stickies in the reloading area of this forum that will help you get started.

Welcome to the sickness and good luck!
Old February 20, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Jimro

When in doubt, ask questions.

Jimro
Old February 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
dmazur

Well, it's a much more intelligent question than "What reloading kit should I buy?"

I learned the basics from the first chapters in a Sierra reloading manual, but most reloading manuals contain the same information presented with slight variations. The Speer manual is also good. So is the Lyman.

I learned the details of how to set up my particular press from the manufacturer's instructions. They happened to be comprehensive. Some manufacturers seem to provide "thin" instructions, shifting the burden of figuring out setup to the purchaser.

I'm still learning the skills after quite a few years, and these shooting forums have been very helpful in providing access to "mentors".

For example, what was happening to me was work hardening of brass, and something called "springback", which meant one die setting wouldn't always resize a .30-06 case to the correct dimension to shoulder. This little detail wasn't obvious to me from either the reloading manual or the press instructions.

So, my advice is to read about the basics, make a decision as to equipment selection based on your needs (not what someone suggests), and then begin. Think about what is happening, and ask questions if something just doesn't seem to be right.

Most of the major press manufacturers have excellent technical support, if you are having trouble with the equipment.

Eventually, you'll be cranking out rounds with a fair amount of confidence.

I've found that patience is a good thing to cultivate...
Old February 20, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
deepcore

All of the above plus go slow, specially when starting up.
Make notes even if doesn't seem significant at the time.
There can be a lot to keep track of and it can be too much to try and solely rely on memory.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Make yourself a checklist of everything that needs to be done , from punching out the old primer to seating the new bullet ! It will serve you well , until it becomes ingrained to the point of second nature . Above all , be safe ! Reloading is a very rewarding hobby , if done right , and a potential disaster if done wrong . Of course a mentor , would shorten the learning curve , but you need to be careful about your choice of mentor also ! There are reloaders out there that have avoided disaster by the grace of God and his willingness to watch over fools . Avoid them !
Old February 21, 2012, 11:57 AM   #8
bossman

Welcome to the forum, just jump right in the waters fine.

Buy a reloading manual and start reading, nothing to it. All can be learned at the comfort of home. You can get most anything you need to know right here, just check and verify.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9
savagelover

the best thing you can do is to find someone who is willing to teach you the basics..
Someone you know,that knows what they are doing as well...You can learn a lot from reading as well,but not like watching it being done..
I would advice,NOT to buy any equipment until you are sure that you really want to get involved with it...If you arent shooting a ton of ammo,it maybe cheaper for you to not reload..This is just my honest opinion...
Old February 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Clark

Different people have different learning styles.

I know that my learning style is from watching.

I bought this video and an RCBS rockchucker kit, bullets, brass, primers, powder, and I was loading .308

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586...andloading-vhs

12 years later I use almost nothing from the kit or video, but it got me started.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 21, 2012, 12:39 PM   #11
primerman

Don't forget to buy yourself a bullet puller...
Old February 21, 2012, 01:09 PM   #12
mikld

I started with a Lee Loader. This tool will teach you what every step of reloading does and why. But today, most folks are impatient and in a hurry and want to start out making 500 rounds per hour and buy a "kit", with everything in it but the kitchen sink.

I would recommend the two books mentioned above; The ABCs of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading handbook. I have been reloading about 25+ years and often refer to my Lyman Handbook and my copy of The ABCs. I'd suggest you read them and study them and then get a single stage press and dies. Straight case handgun cartridges are easy to load and most are pretty forgiving. Start with "tried and true" loads (my very first reload was 3.2 gr. Bullseye with a generic 158 gr. LSW, CCI primers in .38 Special R-P brass).

Be very careful of any videos on youtube about reloading as anybody can post a video and be an "expert". I've seen some questionable methods on youtube. Get your reloading data from a published reloading manual, not from a website, forum "expert", or gun shop guru. I've read some out of line loads and some downright dangerous loads on line.

Go slow, double check, and enjoy. Reloading your own "custom" ammo for your specific gun is really satisfying...
Old February 21, 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
primerman

How do we know that those same people on youtube are not the same ones on this forum?
Old February 21, 2012, 05:39 PM   #14
zxcvbob

Quote:
How do we know that those same people on youtube are not the same ones on this forum?
You don't, BUT here there's a chance for corrections, rebuttals, and discussions. On youtube, people who post idiotic stuff often disable comments completely or cherry-pick which ones get posted. And it's not obvious until you try to post a comment.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:43 PM   #15
SIGSHR

In addition to reading, reading and READING, I recommend starting with either the Lee or Lyman hand presses. (Yes, I started on a Lee Loader). However, the advantage of the hand presses is that you will use the same dies you will later use on your press, hence you get familiar with their configuration, set up, adjustment, etc. You will learn the importance of full length resizing and since you will need a separate priming tool, you will learn the importance of proper primer seating and keeping the primer pocket clean. Also if you load bottleneck cases you will leant the important of case lubrication. And when you get your press, you will find the hand tools useful for loading calibers that for whatever reason your press can't handle.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
flashhole

What cartridges do you want to reload?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 21, 2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Clark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9ePB6knG0

Here is a you tube I made 2 days ago about how to reload a special quiet but powerful 45/70 load.

That is the G rated version. It does not show the bodies of big varmints that went down in 2 seconds and out in 10 seconds with a body shot from the BB gun sound.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #18
2rott

A Lot of good answers here. I started reloading a year ago. I joined some forums & asked questions. Tried to figure out who knew what they were talking about on these forums. Read as much as I could. Asked questions of other reloaders.
I wish I had asked a couple of reloaders if I could watch them load, but I learned without that & so far so good. I'm producing good consistent loads that function well & are accurate. Take it slow.
Old February 21, 2012, 11:52 PM   #19
primerman

Oh no, say it aint so clark. How will I ever be able to trust your opinion again now that I know you have posted on "Youtube"?
Old February 22, 2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Clark

I could make a video of basic reloading with two rocks and a nail.
I could wear a loincloth.

RCBS Video "Precisioneered Handloading" VHS, has professional actors in plaid shirts saying, "Never try any load you heard about at the range."

Then the novice would have the choice between Neanderthal and Hollywood.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:55 AM   #21
primerman

Old February 22, 2012, 06:10 AM   #22
flashhole

So we are now looking forward to a sequel to the first video. I want to be part of the advance premier.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 23, 2012, 07:43 AM   #23
Tim R

Quote:
"Never try any load you heard about at the range."
Clark, that is good advise for 75% of reloaders as a whole. Not everyone is as smart as you are.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:51 AM   #24
homesick

I agree with Clark about taking advise from a gun range person, I have seen and heard some unbelieveable things out there. If your unsure ask the people on here as they will give it to you straight and safe!
No question is a dumb question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 23, 2012, 10:08 AM   #25
primerman

Aren't the same people on the gun range the same people here?

Tags
learning to reload