The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2019, 04:09 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

The OP's measurements are like that too. You will notice they are as long a cartridge COL because the height of the spacer is being added to the case length at its point of contact. All relative measuring that depends on using the same tool to be meaningful.

I just want to learn if his die turned out to be long?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2019, 06:14 PM   #27
Longshot4

It's a rat race around here. I appreciate all of what has been coming to me.
Although I am packing for a long hunt in the Keweenaw at my Sons farm. I now have my 50 long range 6mm CR loaded with the 95gr. SST to slay a buck with the Savage out to 400 Yds. and my 44 Mag. Ruger 77/44 iron sights for the woods.

I had just enough time to get the new loads in a fairly tight bulls eye considering. The first time and first season for both rifles. The rounds for the 6mm were fine. When I get back I will be doing some fine tuning and HOPE to get it straight enough to give a more precise report. After I re hash these threads again. We had our first snow today in SE Michigan but in the Keweenaw of Michigan out in Lake Superior it has been snowing for days.

Time to get packing.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:53 PM   #28
stagpanther

I have a couple of 6mm creeds--look forward to hearing about your actual bullet performance on your hunt.
Old November 6, 2019, 07:09 PM   #29
hounddawg

good luck with your hunt and if worse comes to worse with the Savage barrel swap it out with a Criterion from James at Northland. Get his trued recoil lug and nut while you are about it, those barrels flat out shoot. Had one I could not get to shoot out of five I have bought. Criterion replaced the one that I had a issue with on their dime and sent me the nicest barrel I have ever shot to replace it.
Old December 10, 2019, 07:24 PM   #30
Longshot4

It's been a wile. No buck on the hunt.

I was able to get a little target practice in though. My range was estimated by GPS. At 158 Yds. I zeroed the day before the snow started to fall. It took me 5 shots to hit the center of the target. There was a lot of learning required for the MRAD scope. I am a MOA guy historically. Well any how the next three shots were at aprox. 300 Yds. by GPS. I need to update to a good rangefinder. Although for the precision long range this ol guy is learning. I will be requiring some more advanced rest bags... for the future. Ranging with a MRAD scope defiantly requires stability. The Savage 10T seams to group well enough for a hart shot at 300 yds. It was a wobbly 2" group that dropped about 9" from the 158 zero. The 12Lb 8oz. 6mm CR seamed to beat the Duluth wind well enough. I will return with a new thread in the spring. If God is willing.
Old December 10, 2019, 08:26 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Is this a case of a oversize chamber?
OR...

is it a case of an over sized case?

And I don't mean oversize = too large, I mean over sized = sized too much

So, is the question that your Savage rifle chamber is "oversize"? or is it that your special tight tolerance competition sizing dies are simply resizing the case too far for the fit you want??

I suppose its possible it could even be both??
Old December 11, 2019, 08:13 AM   #32
hounddawg

here is a question for the OP, how does it shoot? That's all that matters. If it shoots well keep it, if not sell or trade it. Life is simple.

edit the alternative would be to simply rebarrel, if you can change a sparkplug in a car you can replace the factory barrel on a Savage. Eabco will sell you a ER Shaw barrel and barrel wrench for $200 or so, Criterions from Northland Shooter supply will be about double that. You will also need a action wrench and a set of GO/No Go gages.

Last edited by hounddawg; December 11, 2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old December 11, 2019, 09:01 AM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot4 View Post
I have 30 single fireformed Lapua 6mm Creedmoor cases. I'm in the process of giving them a second light forming. So I want to have a tight chamber but it seems to be mighty loose. I sized the cases with a Redding type S Match die set using the Redding competition shell holders. They allow me to start .010 backed off of the shoulder. The bolt was loose before and after sizing. There was no sign of the shoulder being touched. Bolt closes with no resistance. Using the 0.010 shell holder I was expecting that the bolt would not accept the case. Although the cases were fired for the first time in the same Savage.

Is this a case of a oversize chamber?
Think about this fully. You fired the round in that chamber. No matter how you size it, its going back in the same chamber. (Assuming you dont stretch the case neck too much in sizing, )