The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 29, 2023, 03:03 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

One cartridge, one bullet.

I recently watched the Hornady podcast #73. https://youtu.be/Dbi_MleHCQo

The question and thought experiment has been giving me a very interesting perspective on some bullet selection choices i am working through.

The question is, what would you choose if you had to pick 1 cartridge, and 1 bullet to last you the rest of your life?

They did apply this to handgun/defensive cartridges as well, which i find to be unfeasible.

Also, you can have multiple guns in the cartridge. But one cartridge one bullet to do it all.

For me it would be 6.5 creedmoore with a 142g accubond long range.

Not total overkill for varmints. Good for medium game or defensive use. Given proper distance and shot placement large game.
Old May 29, 2023, 03:09 PM   #2
FITASC

My 7-08 with 140 gr Nosler Partitions or my 7mm mag with 160 gr Nosler Partition. Just slightly less accurate then the Sierra BTSP, but that Partition does the job
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 29, 2023, 03:33 PM   #3
MarkCO

Quote:
For me it would be 6.5 Creedmoor with a 142g Accubond long range.
That is a great choice. I'd probably pick the same. But I might cry a little giving up my .280AI.
Old May 29, 2023, 06:39 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm
They did apply this to handgun/defensive cartridges as well, which i find to be unfeasible.
I don't see why that's unfeasible.

If I had to make this selection before buying any firearms, my choice would be 9mm Parabellum, and my bullet choice would be a 14-gr JHP. That will shoot through any number of defensive handguns, pistol-caliber carbines, and AR-15 pattern carbines (which are, of course, pistol-caliber carbines).

However, since I currently own more firearms chambered in .45 ACP than in 9mm, my choice if I had to make it today would be .45 ACP and the bullet choice would be a 185-gr JHP.
Jeepaholic
Old May 29, 2023, 07:20 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Why am I hearing quotes from Lord of the Rings with the word "ring" replaced with "round"??
Old May 29, 2023, 07:37 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I don't see why that's unfeasible.

If I had to make this selection before buying any firearms, my choice would be 9mm Parabellum, and my bullet choice would be a 14-gr JHP. That will shoot through any number of defensive handguns, pistol-caliber carbines, and AR-15 pattern carbines (which are, of course, pistol-caliber carbines).

However, since I currently own more firearms chambered in .45 ACP than in 9mm, my choice if I had to make it today would be .45 ACP and the bullet choice would be a 185-gr JHP.
Kinda eliminates a lot of hunting options.

One of the guys in the podcast reccomended 454 casul. As it worked well in handguard and lever guns.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:26 PM   #7
rickyrick

I probably would choose a cartridge that I don’t have in real life.
I have chamberings for specific purposes.

For example, I have calibers for varmint.
I have guns for self defense.

Although I don’t currently hunt for meat, I have the know how and a caliber for that, in event I need to hunt game for sustenance.

In the scenario in question, I would choose more of a do-all cartridge

Probably something closer to the quarter calibers.
Old May 30, 2023, 03:00 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I am set up for some 30 different rounds, from .22 caliber to .45 in metallic cartridges, and from .410 to 12 ga in shotshells.

Each one does something a little bit or a lot better than the others...

Why on earth would I give that versatility up and only choose one round with one bullet?

Seems kind of dumb, to me...
Old May 30, 2023, 03:08 PM   #9
Paul B.

Interesting question. I'll base this on my age and what little possibility of doing a serious hunt ever again. Doesn't mean I won't try.

Whether i like it or not, I'm getting to the point where I say say I'm old So whatever rifle I choose has to shoot a mild cartridge regardless of what I decide to hunt. The cartridge is easy. The 7x57MM Mauser.

The bullet is another matter. The cartridge made its reputation with 173 to 175 gr. round nose bullets, use in full metal jacket form on many occasions. Bell used the on elephants and everything else from what I understand. Said something like, "Never a soft nosed bullet polluted it's perfect bore." Not sure what Corbett uses in his rifle for leopards and tigers but I'd think probably like a 175 gr. round nose. I have a goodly supply of the 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets and I think they might work out to a reasonable range. My three 7x57 rifles all shoot it accurately. But then again, they shoot the 150 gr. Nosler Partition equally well. I've been meaning to try the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core and Grand Slams in the cartridge as well so the jury is out regarding the bullet. Most of my work with the cartridge has been with the 150 gr. Partition so it's definitely a contender. I'll decide on the bullet after I've played some more with the other ones mentioned.
Paul B.
Old May 31, 2023, 07:39 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I am set up for some 30 different rounds, from .22 caliber to .45 in metallic cartridges, and from .410 to 12 ga in shotshells.

Each one does something a little bit or a lot better than the others...

Why on earth would I give that versatility up and only choose one round with one bullet?

Seems kind of dumb, to me...
More of a thought experiment than anything.

Kind of makes you think about versatility on both a cartridge and a bullet basis.

And about what you could make work if you had limited options, like a shortage on supplies.

For me it has made me reassess the way i am looking at my components selection and what i will be buying. Which bullets can i not do without, in a sense. And focusing on stocking up on those.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 31, 2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:34 AM   #11
stinkeypete

.22 Lr and a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tip .308 for 30-06 Springfield. 12 gauge for shotgun.

In fact, that's pretty much my bread and butter.

Of course, it's fun to have lots of other toys to play with.
Old May 31, 2023, 01:48 PM   #12
Paul B.

Shadow 9MM said, "More of a thought experiment than anything.

Kind of makes you think about versatility on both a cartridge and a bullet basis.

And about what you could make work if you had limited options, like a shortage on supplies."

Interesting point. In my post I'd picked the 7x57 round but were I to go with something like the .308 Win. or 30-06, lots of ways to go depending on what bullet one chose. Let's say either of the above and a 180 gr. bullet. It's not too difficult to find a .30 caliber bullet mold in that weight. If normal jacketed bullets of your choice, say a Nosler Partition were to become rather unobtanium. a home made cast could serve even if it mean one would have to get a lot closer. I currently have mold for several of my rifles I shoot a lot. Even have one for the 7x57 although I still need to get the proper sizing die and M die for the cartridge. Maybe that's cheating a bit but is something to think about. I'd call it a back up plan.
Paul B.
Old May 31, 2023, 02:03 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I do have rounds where I have, by choice, not necessity, settled on one bullet and one load, or perhaps two bullets and loads, and some 3.

Some of them are old BP rounds (originally) or milsurp rounds, where I have one bullet and load that duplicates the original "ball" specs and then another one or two for special use.

For example, I duplicate .45-70 (the 405gr load), but I also have heavy loads for certain uses, in appropriate guns. I duplicate .45ACP GI ball (230gr), but I also have a 200gr SWC load and a 185-200gr JHP load for the ACP round

I haven't loaded (or used) anything but 158gr (nominal 850fps) in .38 special for decades. Its in .357 that I use a variety of bullets and load levels.

Over about the past 35 years, I've been using only one bullet and one load in my .45 Colt ammo. The advantage to this is A) the gun is always sighted in, and B) I know exactly how to hold to hit at any range from 0 to 200 yards...

I'm fine with the idea of choosing to settle on one bullet and load in one caliber, if that's what you want. I am quite opposed to the idea of having to choose one cartridge and one bullet for everything I do.
Old May 31, 2023, 03:08 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If we're prohibiting handgun/self-defense: .30-06 w/180gr bullet. The 6.5Creedmore may be a good cartridge for precision target. But I will take a cartridge with far more ammo/component availability on the shelf and longer track record of taking down any North American game.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting