The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2023, 07:59 AM   #1
jar

initial impressions of the Walther CCP M2 380

I've had the Walther CCP M2 380 long enough now to have put a couple hundred rounds through it so I thought it time to go over my initial impressions.

I'm increasingly impressed by the Walther CCP M2 380. There have only been a very few handguns that fit my hand as well or that I found more accurate and controllable at self defense distances. A lot of the accuracy is likely due to how well the grip fits my hand but also its fixed barrel and simple blowback system. The polygonal barrel rifling may also help by slightly increasing the speed.

Initially the pistol was consistently shooting low but Walther included several different height front sights and it was really easy to change to a lower sight. Each step brought the pattern up and with the shortest of the three sights I was right on vertically from 7 to 15 yards. At the range yesterday I put all eight rounds in an inch and a half pattern centered on the bullseye freehand with moderate rate firing.

The delayed blowback system in the CCP series really works. The recoil impulse is almost unnoticeable; maybe even less that shooting the other two EZ 380s, the S&W 380EZ and Ruger Security 380. I still fumble a little lining up the piston with the cylinder on reassembly but it's gotten much easier as well.

I was concerned that maintenance might be an issue but after just a few field strip experiences I have managed to get the hang of lining that piston up with the cylinder to get the sucker back together. On line there were several folk that said the frame got excessively hot after only a box or so of ammo but they were all the 9mm Luger version rather than the 9mm Browning Short. I have not noticed any real issues with the .380 and whether that is just due to the smaller cartridge or just variability between samples is unknown.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (329.8 KB, 1195 views)
Old April 16, 2023, 01:27 PM   #2
Forte S+W

How easy is it to break down/reassemble? I remember that the old Gen 1 CCPs were said to be somewhat cumbersome in that regard.
Old April 16, 2023, 02:02 PM   #3
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
How easy is it to break down/reassemble? I remember that the old Gen 1 CCPs were said to be somewhat cumbersome in that regard.
Very easy.

There is a place at the rear (surrounding the striker indicator) you push in and then slide a catch to the right.

Once that pops out you free the spring and lift the slide up and off.

The rest is pretty much like every browning blowback design.

It takes a little practice to get the piston lined up with the cylinder but certainly not what I call difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg take down.jpg (169.6 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg slide-released.jpg (225.2 KB, 870 views)
Old April 16, 2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Forte S+W

Nice!

I really wish that Walther would make a new PPK using the CCP's gas delayed blowback system. Or otherwise, a CCP styled after the Walther PPK, same thing.

I would buy such a pistol in a heartbeat and adopt it as my new carry gun immediately.
Old April 16, 2023, 04:37 PM   #5
lee n. field

Is that an adjustable rear sight?

(Local place has a CCP M2 in 9. Do I need another single stack 9mm?)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 16, 2023, 04:48 PM   #6
Piranha451

The rear sight is adjustable for windage only.
Old April 16, 2023, 04:53 PM   #7
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Is that an adjustable rear sight?

(Local place has a CCP M2 in 9. Do I need another single stack 9mm?)
Yes, adjustable for windage. It comes with three different height front sights for elevation and also can use any Glock 19 sights.

The 9mm Luger version also is a fixed, eight land, polygonal barrel design.
Old April 17, 2023, 12:28 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I love my CCP in 9mm. Fits my hand better than just about any handgun I've ever handled.

But, my first shooting trip with mine was not a great one. Fewer than 30 rounds and I had a complete failure of the system. It had to go back to Walther.

I've shot it a couple of times since, but not enough yet to give me 100% confidence that it won't happen again.

But man, does it fit my hand like a glove!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 17, 2023, 01:07 PM   #9
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
I love my CCP in 9mm. Fits my hand better than just about any handgun I've ever handled.

But, my first shooting trip with mine was not a great one. Fewer than 30 rounds and I had a complete failure of the system. It had to go back to Walther.

I've shot it a couple of times since, but not enough yet to give me 100% confidence that it won't happen again.

But man, does it fit my hand like a glove!
Is yours the M1 or M2 version and what failed?
Old April 17, 2023, 05:45 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

M2.

Striker failure of some kind.

This thread, starting at post 12.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ht=walther+ccp

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 17, 2023, 06:12 PM   #11
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar
Yes, adjustable for windage. It comes with three different height front sights for elevation and also can use any Glock 19 sights.
I have read that the 9mm M2 has a Walther sight cut and the 9mm M2+ has a Glock 17/19 sight cut.

I have not previously read that Walther had included a Glock sight cut on the .380 CCP. How is the model with the Glock sight cut identified? Is it marked M2+ or in some other way?
Old April 17, 2023, 07:09 PM   #12
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
I have read that the 9mm M2 has a Walther sight cut and the 9mm M2+ has a Glock 17/19 sight cut.

I have not previously read that Walther had included a Glock sight cut on the .380 CCP. How is the model with the Glock sight cut identified? Is it marked M2+ or in some other way?
Made me look. Actually I don't see an M2 on it anywhere but there is a "+" sign on the slide.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide.jpg (155.4 KB, 806 views)
Old April 17, 2023, 11:28 PM   #13
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar
Made me look. Actually I don't see an M2 on it anywhere but there is a "+" sign on the slide.
Scroll down to the Options section of the CCP page on the Walther USA website and you will see that all of the 9mm models are listed as M2+ (and their pages say those models have Glock sight cuts) while the .380 models are only listed as M2. That is why I was curious about whether your .380 was the M2+ version.

I should have said the + would be near the DE marking.

The M2 marking is by the CCP markings on both sides at the bottom of the grip as shown in the photo linked below:

https://waltherarms.com/wp-content/u...ons2-small.png

Last edited by gc70; April 17, 2023 at 11:35 PM.
Old April 18, 2023, 05:53 AM   #14
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
Scroll down to the Options section of the CCP page on the Walther USA website and you will see that all of the 9mm models are listed as M2+ (and their pages say those models have Glock sight cuts) while the .380 models are only listed as M2. That is why I was curious about whether your .380 was the M2+ version.

I should have said the + would be near the DE marking.

The M2 marking is by the CCP markings on both sides at the bottom of the grip as shown in the photo linked below:

https://waltherarms.com/wp-content/u...ons2-small.png
Actually, now that you mention it I do remember seeing the M2 on the grip.

But I'm old and so forgetful. Mea Culpa.
Old April 18, 2023, 07:09 AM   #15
RickB

Is it just a rechambering of the 9mm model, or is it reduced in size to suit .380?
I liked the feel of the CCP 9mm, but had a couple of functional issues in very little shooting.
Old April 18, 2023, 07:57 AM   #16
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Is it just a rechambering of the 9mm model, or is it reduced in size to suit .380?
I liked the feel of the CCP 9mm, but had a couple of functional issues in very little shooting.
They appear to be the same size.
Old April 18, 2023, 07:39 PM   #17
jar

So I've decided to put the CCP into the rotation. As has been mentioned, I can't think of too many other handguns that simply feel like they used my hand as the design criteria. I really can't find anything that concerns me or that I might change other than maybe, just maybe switching to a set of fiber/tritium. And now that the current sight pair seem to be absolutely dead on I am less inclined to do that at least until the early dark winter days return.

I have not run more than a box and some more of ammo through it in a single session but even when I did run a full box plus the ones in the baggy I didn't notice the heat issue under the piston cylinder. Whether that is due to some running change or simply the difference between the.380 and 9mm Luger I can't say.

I was looking online to see who was making leather holsters for the CCP but remembered I had an IWB holster Lou Alessi made for my Sig225 many decades ago. Fortunately I found it and it's an almost perfect fit. The ride height is right and the grip is held close to my body (although to be honest it might be that my body is far closer to the grip than it was decades ago). The holster is still in great shape except for some chew marks on one of the straps where a puppy tried to take it as his toy.

The thumb safety is nice and positive on my sample, not quite as heavy as I'd like but certainly adequate. So far I've had no issues with the mag release or slide stop. I wish it did not have the magazine disconnect but again, I can live with it just as I've done with all my HPs and the clones.

The most telling points for me are how well and naturally it points, how repeatably I can quickly place shots on target consistently and the fact that the grip really really feels great.

I've only had one instance dealing with the Walther Customer Service folk and it was easy, pleasant and successful. The pistol had been advertised as coming with three different height front sight but in my case there was only one spare. Fortunately it turned out to be what I needed but a phone call to Walther also resulted in their mailing me three new front sights.

If problems do arise I'll certainly document them but for now I will say that based on a sample of one the Walther M2 + CCP 380 is a winner.

Last edited by jar; April 19, 2023 at 07:25 AM.