The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Midway Dropout lube

A while back I recall someone saying that they used Midway Dropout bullet mold lube to lube bullets? Anyone here try that and have results worth talking about.

It's not much good for lubing bullet molds but it's not a bad preservative since it washes off with acetone. I've found that it makes a pretty good paint (although temporary) for guns with worn off bluing.
Old September 3, 2022, 09:05 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I'd not heard of this practice with this particular product, but there's no reason it wouldn't be OK at moderate pressure and velocity. Indeed, at pistol target velocities you can often shoot common casting alloys through a smooth, good condition bore with no lube at all and see little difference except less smoke than the wax and Alox lubes. You may find more fouling as the graphite blows around and builds up in the books and crannies. Anyway, give it a try and see what happens.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 7, 2022, 03:28 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

I'm going to be loading up some light cast bullet loads for my .44 mag revolver and I'll give it a try. I suppose the worst it could do is lead up the barrel.

I'm way over due to get set up for powder coating bullets and that's what I really need to do...

Tony
Old September 14, 2022, 01:01 PM   #4
gwpercle

The black spray-on stuff just might work as a cast bullet lube ... stand them up and spray them with a coat & let dry . It doesn't take the stuff long to dry .

What I've been using it for is to spray the inside of my clean melting pot ... it helps with grunge build up and if you use a ladle ... the best use is to spray the inside and outside of your casting ladle ... lead will not adhere to the ladle , I find the insides of my ladle stays nice and clean and helps lead flow through the side spout .

The stuff is a mess on your bullet mould ... the build up is awful and hard to remove ...
Even with acetone and a stiff tooth brush ... it still hard to remove .

Tip ... If you ever need a mould release , use a Dry Lubricant like Liquid Wrench L512 Dry Lubricant ... it has micro-particles of Teflon in a alcohol carrier , after applied , (spray-on or liquid on a Q-Tip ) the carrier evaporates and leaves a micro-thin coating of Teflon ... this doesn't contaminate the cavity and/or wrinkle the bullet ... and the bullets want to jump out of the cavities when you open the mould ,
Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant L512 is the best mould release secrete ever not known ...
If Liquid Wrench knew what this stuff does on bullet moulds they could make a bunch $$$ if they marketed it correctly ! I use the Liquid applied with a Q-Tip in cavities and when I'm done casting ...spray the exterior of block and sprueplate and any metal part to protect from rusting when stored ... in Louisiana ...rust is your enemy !
Try it on your mould ... just once !
Gary
Old September 15, 2022, 10:49 AM   #5
reddog81

I believe it's just graphite spray. It'd probably work for low velocity stuff, but that'd be an awfully expensive way to go about lubing bullets in the long run.

A run of 50 to 100 bullets might make sense if you have a can just laying around.

I use it to blacken out sights that have been worn and start to "shine" around the edges. It creates a nice dull coverage. Just make sure to tape off areas you don't want hit.