The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 27, 2011, 05:52 PM   #1
alan

"Blago" convicted on most counts

The jury in his retrial, having heard the evidence, having deliberated, found the former Illinois governor and Chicago area congressman guilty on most counts, which brings to mind the following.

It's been a while since I've seen or heard anything about it, but at one time there was a fair amount of mention of something called The Curse of The Gunnies, this curse seemingly falling on appointed and or elected public officials who were of anti gun persuasion, persons who were found guilty of violating the law. Their violations were non-violent in nature, but these august persons were still indicted, tried and found guilty.

Included amongst these persons, as I recall were, former federal judge and governor of Illinois Otto Kerner, former governor of Maryland Marvin Mendel, his conviction was later set aside as I recall, one time Queens N.Y. DA Tom Mackel, former N.Y. congressman Mario Biaggi, there may be others I've overlooked, and now former Illinois governor Blagovich.

One wonders as to whether there might be something to what was described as The Curse of the Gunnies?
Old June 27, 2011, 05:58 PM   #2
BarryLee

It is ironic how one of the most anti-gun cities is also one of the most corrupt.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 27, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Eghad

I feel the thread lock on the way.......

NRA Life Member
Old June 27, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

From The Salt Lake Tribune:
Quote:
Blagojevich, a Democrat whose former aides say once saw himself as a possible presidential contender, was found guilty of 17 counts of wire fraud, attempted extortion, bribery, extortion conspiracy and bribery conspiracy. He was acquitted on one charge of bribery, and the jury deadlocked on two counts of attempted extortion.
17 convictions out of 20 simplified charges, some of which carry up to 20 years.

And with that, closed as being off topic.
Closed Thread