The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1
JunyTuck

Merkel Shotguns?

I'm interested in buying a Merkel over/ under in 16 ga. The model # is 2016EL with fixed chokes (modified & improved cylinder).I want to shoot trap & upland game. Is this a good choice?
Old June 27, 2007, 05:31 PM   #2
BigJimP

Merkel makes a decent gun but you don't see many around. But the 16ga isn't too popular these days because of the cost of shells alone.

Balistically it's possible to make a 12ga or a 20ga perform like a 16ga with the right load and choke combination - so the 16ga has pretty much become an after thought unless you just have a gun in the family that you like shooting.

Since the chokes are fixed on the gun you're looking at - I would suggest you keep looking for a gun you can change the chokes in ( shoot a Mod / Mod or a Mod/IC etc ).
Old June 27, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
SShooterZ

Great guns but not much of a trap gun with a Mod/IC configuration.

16 Gauge is also an oddball breed and you will pay more for the shells and availability may be an issue.

For an all around, do all gun, hard to be a choke tubed Browning Citori or Beretta 686.
Old June 27, 2007, 05:49 PM   #4
sm

For your reading pleasure and information needs such as reloading the 16 gauge
http://www.16ga.com/

16 gauge guns, especially fixed choked, IC, and Mod, with double triggers, are great UPLAND guns.

Forget screw in chokes, with double triggers ,one has instant choke changing capabilities depending on game presentations.

-

Trap : NO, not the gun for Trap.
12 gauge is THE Trap gun, and one can break most targets with a Modified barrel.
It is when you "get back" in yardage, the Full Choke is needed.

There is "Short" Trap, just as there is "Short 5 Stand", and "Short Sporting clays" where the 28 gauge is used.

-

Too many folks shot and felled too many trap targets with Fixed Choked Guns.
Many that shot both Skeet and Trap , had two barrels sets, Such as Win Super Model 1 [which is highly sought after] 1100s and 870s

FWIW, Rudy Etchen used the same 870 ,40 years later to win again the Championship he won 40 years earlier.
(no screw in choke on that gun btw)

The 16 gauge is a very effective shotgun, it will fell any target a 12 bore will.
Its history is deep with Upland hunting, and no, it is not dead.

Skeet shooters shoot 12, 20, 28 and .410 events, with 28 gauge being the most effective gauge as one can see from tote board and scores.

Many shooters bring out the 16 gauge guns and shoot skeet, trap, 5 stand, and sporting clays.
While the 16 gauge is not included in these clay games, I have seen too many folks run straights, and out shoot too many folks with a 16 gauge shotgun.

It is always the shooter - not the shooting iron.
Old June 27, 2007, 07:36 PM   #5
JunyTuck

Personally, I love the 16 ga. Grew up shooting an Ithaca Model 37 pump 16 and it worked great for feathered and clay birds. Theres an old adage that the 16 kills like a 12 but carries like a 20.Most are built on the 20ga frame.
I have found 16 ga shells easily available especially online and at prices comensurate with 12 ga. I don't think the 16 is dying but actually making a rebirth of sorts.Several of the premium gun makers are offering new 16 ga models in their lineup.
Old June 27, 2007, 07:41 PM   #6

i had a merkel, and the workmanship was first class!
Cheyenne, WY
Old June 28, 2007, 09:39 AM   #7
gator1

Merkel makes a good quality gun but I agree with the others about looking at a 12 for trap. If you are bent on getting a 16 take a look at some of the FAIR Rizzini's in the gun library on the Cabela's site. They have some reduced prices on the model 900...beautiful wood/craftsmanship and you could pick up both a 16 and 12 for the same money as the Merkel 2016. Plus the FAIR in 16 comes with tubes. I have a model 600 in 20ga and am very pleased with it. They have quite a few Merkels listed there as well.

It's always fun looking for a new gun!