The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2017, 06:29 AM   #1
CDR_Glock

What animal have you shot/killed with your FN 5.7 pistol?

Some say the ballistics is similar to a 22 WMR, but this particular bullet tumbles. Coyote, groundhogs, raccoon, dingos would probably be effective. Wild boar or feral hogs, I wonder about. Two legged variety from LEO shots, I'm also curious about.

I'm just wondering what, if any, animal have you shot with your pistol? I just don't see much writing, videos or discussions about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD
Old September 22, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Kwik2010

I had a buddy of mine dispatch a trapped badger with one once. It was loaded with some load that included the Hornady V Max. Took 3 shots unfortunately. Badgers are tough animals though so I'm not sure if it was the ammunitions fault. One bullet was recovered and was in pieces inside the animal.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:42 AM   #3
cslinger

Badgers and Raccoons are WAY tougher then their stature would suggest.

Not a hunter and happy to have never shot anything with a mom not a desire to but do know a little about critters.

No issues with hunting and I will happily eat what is given me.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:34 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...don't see much writing..." Not enough of 'em around. Either ammo or firearms. The pistols aren't exactly hunting pistols either. No PD's using 'em either.
The ammo is similar to the .22 Hornet. Not the .22 Mag.
Old September 22, 2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All we have to judge by is the Fort Hood massacre. All those who were hit center of mass died.
Old September 22, 2017, 08:35 PM   #6
amd6547

I'd like to see Ruger make an affordable 5.7 pistol.
Old October 4, 2017, 02:19 AM   #7
bamaranger

search

I was curious and did a search on 5.7 effectiveness. Not a lot of material as already noted. I did sense that there was a move away from the cartridge since it's intial rages when first introduced. There were limited inferences to poor results concerning lack of stopping power.

Locally, the Franklin Co (TN) Sherriff's Office had the shoulder weapon's, dunno if they were full auto or semi. Dunno if they still carry them. Dunno about the handgun in the 5.7 ctg for that dept.

The cartridge/shoulder gun was purpose designed with it's special penetrating cartridge to defeat soft body armor as worn by troops in this day and age. I think the expanding ammo trying to create a SD and LE cartridge was a sideshow.......that may have flopped.
Old October 6, 2017, 09:17 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

The guns are expensive.
There have been times the ammo was hard to get at any price, outside of shortages.
Wasn't there a limit on civilians purchasing some types of factory ammunition. It wasn't a legal limit, but something the manufacturer put on the distribution network.

American's like BIG.
Old November 2, 2017, 11:39 PM   #9
samsmix

Short answer, "no". But the truth is that the .223 has killed enough deer at 150 yards to give us a pretty good idea what the 5.7 will do inside of 50. Identical? No. Similar? All day long.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old November 4, 2017, 09:59 PM   #10
reynolds357

A rat.
Old November 5, 2017, 06:40 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, c'mon, Reynolds. Tell us the story of the hunt!
Old November 6, 2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Rachen

Quote:
All we have to judge by is the Fort Hood massacre. All those who were hit center of mass died.
The cartridges were probably loaded with V-Max bullets, hence their devastating results. Anything that is frangible AND high velocity would end up doing explosive damage to whatever they hit. I haven't shot that many high velocity smallbores but I have been the spotter on many varmint hunts where my friends use a bolt action .17 HMR to dispatch prairie dogs and woodchucks at intermediate ranges, and the way those seemingly tiny .17 slugs decimate the insides of these critters is nothing short of unbelievable. Same thing with those hollowpoint .17 airgun pellets fired from rifles that produce up to 1300 fps on one cock. I have heard some sources talking about how some rebels during the 2014 Ukraine riots shot government officers and soldiers with air rifles and the chest and head shots were almost always lethal.

Quote:
I was curious and did a search on 5.7 effectiveness. Not a lot of material as already noted. I did sense that there was a move away from the cartridge since it's intial rages when first introduced. There were limited inferences to poor results concerning lack of stopping power.

Locally, the Franklin Co (TN) Sherriff's Office had the shoulder weapon's, dunno if they were full auto or semi. Dunno if they still carry them. Dunno about the handgun in the 5.7 ctg for that dept.

The cartridge/shoulder gun was purpose designed with it's special penetrating cartridge to defeat soft body armor as worn by troops in this day and age. I think the expanding ammo trying to create a SD and LE cartridge was a sideshow.......that may have flopped.
The FN P90 is certainly badass as hell in terms of looks and I know one ardent, and I mean ardent Stargate fan who became obsessed by them and had to get one for himself. He still has it but it is just a range plinker and when not used, it shares space on his living room wall with his medieval shield collection. For home defense and carry he prefers his .357 Smith.

Last edited by Rachen; November 6, 2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old November 6, 2017, 09:39 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:

Aw, c'mon, Reynolds. Tell us the story of the hunt!
He was walking around outside the barn and that was the pistol I had with me at the time.
Old November 7, 2017, 03:41 AM   #14
Scorch

What? No blood-curdling roar before the charge? A well-aimed shot to the point of the shoulder to break him down? Did you have him mounted?