The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2009, 03:40 PM   #26
snolden

don't be surprised, using w231, if you get unburnt powder and a really dirty pistol/fired case. As you get up close to the max charge that unburnt powder goes away and it burns all of it.

I used w231 and universal for my .45. Universal is my standard plinking round as it just "feels" a little better. the w231 is very good just didn't feel the same as the universal.
Old March 26, 2009, 03:48 PM   #27
ShootingNut

I'm with Tuttle and Sport.
That is why I switched from Titegroup to Accurate #5 for everything,
except my .357 Magnum.
Try it, you will like it.
SN
Old March 26, 2009, 03:50 PM   #28
Jimbo-Indy

I second the nomination on Longshot!
Probably the best powder for the .40 if you like heavier bullets and want power. Not good for light target loads. Longshot is my "go to" powder for my 9 mm bowling pin loads. I have crono'd 1200 FPS with a 180 gr. Rainier flatpoint out of my S&W 639 and my High Power with no pressure signs. I won't state the charge weight as I am not where I can look it up but is was slightly under max in a reloading manual. This same load runs 1650 FPS out of my CX4 carbine.
My next round will be to see what Longshot will do in 45ACP with 230 gr. Rainiers. Another bowling pin load. Manuals look promising. They show higher velocity with heavier bullets but list lower pressures than many other powders.
Ain't handloading fun?!
Old March 26, 2009, 03:52 PM   #29
Jimbo-Indy

Correction!! That was "go to" powder for 40 S&W pin loads. The crono'd load was with the High Power and CX4 Not the 639 Smith.
Old age is creeping in. That's why I don't list a charge weight. I type faster than I think sometimes. Sorry.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:39 AM   #30
ShootingNut

Hodgdon loading data website, shows no loads for Lead bullets for the .40.
They do for the .45 ACP, as more powder is used. I suspect they do not promote using Titegroup for a .40 load, as a lead bullet will have a lesser amount powder used than a jacketed bullet. I realize most of you are aware of this.
For most, once the load weight gets too small, Titegroup doesn't measure the best. At least in my Less pro powder equipment. Therefore I don't use Titegroup for a .40 reload with my lead bullets.
Regards,
SN