The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 12, 2019, 08:21 AM   #1
tpcollins

Any real differences in a Leupold VX3 and VX3i?

I don’t see an optics section so I’ll ask here.

I want to get a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm for a specific purpose. I can find new VX3 models a bit cheaper than the current VX3i model.

Will an old set of eyes wearing glasses be able to see any significant differences between these 2 in a side by side comparison? Thanks.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:34 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I have several of each. The answer is NO, buy the VX-3. FWIW, I have one of the ones you want and there is NOTHING about it I don't like. Great scope.
Old January 12, 2019, 03:25 PM   #3
RC20

My only issue with some scopes is I don't see the cross hairs well and the finer the tendency is worse.

My Leopold 3-7 rimfire is marginal but acceptable.

I looked at a Vortex the other day, nice clear glass, can't see the cross hairs.
Old January 13, 2019, 07:04 PM   #4
ejb69

I prefer my VX 3 over my VX 3i , the cross hairs seem to be a bit harder to see on the i
Old January 13, 2019, 08:53 PM   #5
jmr40

Look through both and find out. I think the VXi is a little better. But depending on the use, and price difference, it may not be enough to matter.

Winston Churchill
Old January 14, 2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Don Fischer

Probably one real difference. Price!
Old January 14, 2019, 01:04 PM   #7
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
I don’t see an optics section so I’ll ask here.

I want to get a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm for a specific purpose. I can find new VX3 models a bit cheaper than the current VX3i model.

Will an old set of eyes wearing glasses be able to see any significant differences between these 2 in a side by side comparison? Thanks.
No, not at those magnification levels. Parallax will not be an issue so both would appear nearly the same. if you're eyes are not that great you won't see a difference at all.
Old January 14, 2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Saltydog235

Same glass, coatings changed. Stretch the budget a little and buy a VX-R to start getting something decent or buy a Weaver Super Slam and save some money. I’m not a Leupold fan at all, I’d look at all my options because frankly, there is better glass to be had in that range if you do some research and shopping.
Old January 15, 2019, 10:25 AM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235
Same glass, coatings changed. Stretch the budget a little and buy a VX-R to start getting something decent or buy a Weaver Super Slam and save some money. I’m not a Leupold fan at all, I’d look at all my options because frankly, there is better glass to be had in that range if you do some research and shopping.  
I don't disagree as optics are all personal preference, but I don't think adding a 30mm tube and fire dot reticle to a VX2 optics is a huge improvement with the VX-R vs. VX3I. I recently picked up two 3.5-10x40 VX3I rifle scopes for $510 shipped for new in the box optics. I happened to just luck into a online sale and they allowed me to stack a store coupon I had and I got a huge discount. These kind of deals don't happen every day but you don't always have to pay MAP for Leupold optics. You just have to be ready to take advantage of deals when they pop up.

That deal put me about half price of what your discontinued Weaver Super Slam and the current Grand Slam scopes sell for in a comparable power range. They only came in about $60 more than the Weaver Classic V 2-10X38 rifle scope. All in all I'd say I came out alright.
Old January 17, 2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Saltydog235

VX-R is VX3 glass with another filter coating and better mechanicals. I’ve honestly quit buying cheap optics after getting into higher end glass, you just get more performance especially in low light conditions.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:56 PM   #11
NoSecondBest

I have a couple of VX-R scopes and don't find them any clearer than my VX-2's (the VX-2's are pretty close to the VX-3 in clarity). All the "R" does is give you a lighted reticle....which I rarely have the opportunity to use. I think all manufacturers come out with "new and improved" models every year to boost sales. Usually at the opportunity to use cheaper manufacturing processes. Just gotta have something new to sell next year. All you have to do is simply look through a VX-3 and a VX-3i to see that....there's nothing to see. I've got both!
Old January 17, 2019, 04:51 PM   #12
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235
VX-R is VX3 glass with another filter coating and better mechanicals
Where are you finding this info? I've been to the Leupold website and downloaded their 2018 brochure. Everything points to the VX-3i having more upgraded lenses coatings as the VX-R by Leupold description. In fact the VX Freedom (replaced VX-1 & VX-2) and VX-R by Leupold description have the same lense coatings

I'm not going to say much on the mechanicals as the VX-R and VX-3i are different scopes. With a 30mm tube you definitely have more room for more robust mechanicals. However, their is less than 3 oz difference in weight between the 3-9X40 VX-R and the 3.5-10x40 VX-3i. So I have to wonder how much of that is the extra material in the tube and the electronics and battery for the firedot reticle?

Like I said in my first post optics are extremely personal choice. If you feel the VX-R line is a better scope for your money, then who am I to argue. However, I wouldn't say buying a VX-3i is a downgrade. I'd say pick what features are most important to you, and go with that scope.