The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2015, 11:27 AM   #1
canamkayaker

Deer blind

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441383840.495949.jpg
Should I close the shooting gap from the top? Almost out of material. Anyone ever use a camo shower curtain? Just thinking cheap. I only have $7 in supplies so far
Old September 5, 2015, 01:50 AM   #2
bamaranger

??????

You gonna take the wheels off it????

Seriously, I'd figure out some sort of arrangement to break the daylight up around the windows, slit shower curtain , mesh, .....something.

I have trouble with deer from a blind, permanent or popup, unless it has been there a long time, or is heavily brushed in.
Old September 5, 2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Old Stony

You definitely need something to break up your profile in there. A deer could pick you up from a long way off if you are sittlng in the open like that. I have small windows on the blinds I have built ( I currently have 5 ). I use a camo mesh over them that can easily be moved out of the way when getting serious. I also can close the windows when it gets really cold and windy.
Old September 5, 2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Mobuck

Our blinds have lots of windows. I used burlap camo hung from magnets to break up the see-through problem.
Old September 5, 2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Gunplummer

Ha Ha! Now that is funny. I would keep some hotdogs and cokes handy for the occasional hunter that passes through.
Old September 5, 2015, 08:23 AM   #6
jmr40

I saw one of these in Cabelas a few weeks ago. I'm not normally much for gimmicks, but this darn thing just might work. It is basicaly mirrored panels that are angled slightly away from the shooter at the top. The reflect whatever the surrounding area around the hunter is and would work anywhere.

Just guessing, but they might be a problem in the open in bright sunlight. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't work every where else though. Check out the photos of it being used in different environments at the bottom

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ghost...ror+deer+blind
Old September 5, 2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Mobuck

"for the occasional hunter that passes through."

We hunt ALL private land so those folks get a boot in the butt and a reminder of where the fence line is.
Old September 5, 2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you can find them. Burlap grain bags or a surplus WWII Army wool blanket would certainly help your stands shoot'in windows.
Old September 5, 2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Panfisher

You can buy lightweight camo net at Wal Mart. Staple gun it on and a few strategically placed slits will let you shoot out of it. FWIW my wife and I have killed more than a few deer out of a box blind that is 4x4 and only 3 feet high. The box sits about 6 feet off the ground because she doesn't like heights. Movement was the enemy. Just this past winter when I finally had to rebuild it have I added a roof and windows, however the back wall is solid so as not to create as much profile.

Last edited by Panfisher; September 6, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old September 6, 2015, 12:39 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...break the daylight up around the windows..." Putting it in front of or next to a bush will do that. Think I'd go with the burlap curtains though. Burlap can be found by the roll for really cheap in garden centres. Used to wrap fancy trimmed evergreen trees for winter.
The paint colours come close to the ground you'll be putting it on?