The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 19, 2007, 08:29 AM   #1
LFOD1776

New life for the AC556

I searched around this forum and didn't find anything about this stock, so maybe it's news to you guys...

There's a relatively new Sage stock for the AC556 that basically makes the weapon a whole lot more compelling. Here's my "starter" machine gun:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC556.JPG (52.1 KB, 1619 views)
Old April 21, 2007, 10:54 PM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

I like the old wood stock for sentimental reasons, but that does look damn nice.
Old April 22, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
DesertDawg

I like the more "user-friendly" forend and pistol grip! It has been many years since I fired an AC556, and I didn't like the "puny" pistol grip or the thin forearm of the factory folding stock.

By the way, the owner of the AC556 that I fired only got about 3,000 rounds through it before it exploded. It was "sort of" his own fault, for he had seen a couple of fissure cracks on the receiver beforehand, but didn't think that they would cause a "KA-BOOM".
Old May 16, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
douglasschuckert

???? Blew up as in KABOOM ????

As with all of Bill Ruger's items... "If he built it, you can shoot it"... That is WILD that your friends AC556 went out like that! The Ruger AC556 is among the last of the Factory Serviceable SMG's. If your friend still has the receiver, he can send it back to Ruger and get it replaced or repaired. For an Ruger, let alone a SMG - 3,000rnds isn't crap!

I know of quite a few AC556's that have had a LOT of abuse and still eat ammo like a fat kid with potato chips! 100% certain your friend had the VERY rare lemon! This is by NO means indicative of the typical Ruger AC556!

I've got well over 300,000rnds through my MAC and all that I've had to replace is the barrel, buffer, and a couple of springs..
Old May 16, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
douglasschuckert

Btw

The stock is the SCAR-CQB by Clyde Armory. Its designed for the Mini-14/Ac 556. Its cost about $500.00 and can be found at this link:

http://policeguns.com/2006/cart.cfm?...ProductID=5757

That stock does do wonders for the AC556 doesn't it?!!! Add a .223 can to that, a laser/light combo, and a .22 conversion kit.... WOOOO HOOOO! NICE!

If this is your actual 'starter' weapon and not just a 'dream', you're one lucky som-bitc?! :-)

Last edited by douglasschuckert; May 16, 2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I felt like it...
Old May 17, 2007, 08:25 AM   #6
mxwelch

I gotta go with Doug on this one. I've never heard of a Ruger having that problem. My AC556 has had a "few" ran through it and the only signs of wear is some finish on the bolt and receiver due to cycling. Mine's always ran perfect. In fact every one I know that has one hasn't had a lick of trouble from them.
Old May 17, 2007, 03:52 PM   #7
'75Scout

I have borrowed an older semi-auto Mini-14. It has the wood handguards and blued steel. I'm going to put it through its paces and if I like it I'm going to buy it. Price is only $300 and its in great condition.

I can't decide if I want to drop it in the SCAR CQB stock or send it to ASI for some accuracy work. The SCAR CQB stock does bring the AC556 into a whole new world.
Old May 19, 2007, 02:47 PM   #8
douglasschuckert

Accurized Mini-14

I've personally owned a sub-moa accurized Mini-14, and I can tell you from personal experience it isn't worth it. When you're dealing with barrels and actions of this caliber, you cant dump mags or you'll ruin your bbl. You have to clean it every 5 to 10 rounds and only shoot a round ever 2 mins or so. Otherwise you run the risk of ruining the temper of the steel. The .223/556 round reaches about 1600 degrees F and the match rounds get even hotter. Granted this is just a 'flash' burn, but when dealt with in rapid succession the heat will linger for a LONG time. This is why your SMG barrels wear out fairly quickly. The constant heat ruins the steel's temper.

You can shoot the accurized mini a lot if you want to, but over time you'll wear out your gun a LOT faster...

$300.00 for a decent condition Mini is a great deal! Take it regardless! Ruger makes some of the finest firearms in the known world! The above Ac556is the exception not the rule. I dont doubt the fact that the receiver cracked as he has said it did because noone's perfect and even Toyota makes lemons (I know... I had a 2004 Corolla S that was one, but I still drive them religiously) Its inevitable that you will find at least one bad apple in your bushel.

I would take the Mini and drop it in the stock, and then get on eBay and get the AN/PVS-14 thats on there, then a M4-1000 or M4-2000 suppressor from AAC. Then sit back and slowly collect the genuine ruger 30 rnd mags (the Ac556 and Mini's are notorious for not liking aftermarket mags... mine HATED them, but ran flawlessly on the factory mags...

Just a two cents worth, but IMHO you would do a LOT better and be a LOT happier with a tactical mini vise a accurized one. What would you need a sub-moa tactical rifle for anyway? Varmint? If thats the case get an AR platform so you can switch uppers from one used for ammo dumping and the other for tack-driving.