The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2016, 06:54 PM   #151
DMY

Ok, I'll play.

Short story and long story.
Short story s spilling a near full bag of #8 slot on a large terrazzo living room floor. I continued to find lead shot for years.
Long story was my best friend's first reloading attempt. He used Lee dippers to reload some .38s. The one scoop of Bullseye didn't look like it filled the case enough, so he loaded some "two scoopers". He shot the two scooper out of his model 15 and it was HOT, as in double-charged HOT. He also had a "three-scooper". Since my Colt Diamondback had a much thicker frame and barrel, I said I would shoot it. Braced myself for a lot of recoil and pulled the trigger. The blast was huge, especially since we were shooting at an indoor range which didn't even allow magnum loads. Made me take a step back from the recoil. Muzzle blast was at least 10 feet, side blast out of the barrel-cylinder gap hit both side walls and I saw a little powder burning against the right wall. Packed up immediately and left before examining my gun. Turned a Diamondback into a Diamondba. Yes, it is missing 2 off the end. Luckily, no injuries. Still have it next to my reloading bench as a reminder to TRY not to do stupid or dumb things.
Old September 18, 2016, 04:22 PM   #152
JeepHammer

Found a pound of powder that had drawn moisture, and was old enough I couldn't find load data for it anymore...
So without thinking, I threw it in the trash and forgot about it.

I live in the country, we still burn trash out here.
Created quite a report when it went off! Scared the crap out of the cat!
Old September 18, 2016, 04:29 PM   #153
nhyrum

Knock on wood...

So far, the worst I've done is forget to load primers before throwing the powder. Got about 10 done and was wondering why I was feeling a few granules of powder on my hand every time I seated a bullet

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old September 18, 2016, 05:43 PM   #154
briandg

I STARTED RELOADING.

Good lord, must I really go through all of the goofs made in my history before I find the absolute worst one? I don't recall doing anything stupid. Plenty of things I shouldn't have.
Old September 18, 2016, 06:00 PM   #155
stagpanther

Since I use cheap simple equipment--a lee single stage--and tediously prep each case and weigh each charge on a balance beam--I've managed to limit my reloading mishaps to some crushed cases and a few primers that got loaded upside down.

Worst things with ammo at a range?--now that widens the category up a bit--and one day I may recount how I chambered a 308 cartridge into a 270 rifle and fired it....
Old September 20, 2016, 04:22 PM   #156
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I chambered a 308 cartridge into a 270 rifle and fired it.
Knowing little about rifles (I assume a 270 is a smaller caliber than a 308), I'm curious how that turned out?
Old September 20, 2016, 04:34 PM   #157
stagpanther

Amazingly the bullet impacted the target where I was aiming--however--the case got hopelessly wedged in the chamber and locked the bolt. I could get the components apart--but I retired the barrel and receiver anyway.
Old September 20, 2016, 05:38 PM   #158
Nick_C_S

Went better than I thought.

Glad you're okay.
Old September 22, 2016, 07:59 AM   #159
Chainsaw.

Very first round I ever pressed of 9mm gave a resounding CRUNCH....."hmm...." lowered the ram, I hadn't backed the bullet seater stem out and had crushed the bullet ALL the way down into the case against the powder.

I also got far to excited and miss measured the charge on 223 cases, I had to pull down 300 rounds. Never again!
Old September 23, 2016, 03:04 PM   #160
ValmetM62s

Dumb

......wailing away on a progressive loader, proud of how many I can do per hour, ...noticed the powder measure empty. For how long? Had to weigh around 300 rounds just to be sure.... 100 found their way to the bullet puller
Old September 23, 2016, 05:04 PM   #161
RANGER94

Circa 1996. New to Reloading. Primer was stuck in a tube. Used paper clip to in-loosen. BANG primer goes off. Thank God tube only had 3 primers. Lost a finger nail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 25, 2016, 12:51 PM   #162
Don P

I have to admit that post #7 by 10-96 is a pee in your pants read. Outstanding
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:37 PM   #163
Jbar4Ranch

Double charge of Clays in a .38-40 case.

SASS 47015
Old September 25, 2016, 09:49 PM   #164
Beepy

Quote:
Worst things with ammo at a range?--now that widens the category up a bit--and one day I may recount how I chambered a 308 cartridge into a 270 rifle and fired it....
I know a fellow that did the same thing in a Tikka .25-06 when he was shooting test loads in both rifles. He just reached into the wrong box for a round.

The barrel went 20 yards downrange and the scope bounced off the underside of the canopy and ended up next to my right foot. He got a nick on the end of his nose that bled furiously. Damn lucky man.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:58 PM   #165
stagpanther

Quote:
I know a fellow that did the same thing in a Tikka .25-06 when he was shooting test loads in both rifles. He just reached into the wrong box for a round.
Yup--that's what I did--I had two of those psychedelic colored boxes Fusion ammo, one in 308 and one in 270, which I was hand-feeding into the chamber and ooops! grabbed the wrong one while keeping my eyes focused on the target. Yes dumb--easier to do than you might think if you are out firing more than one caliber rifle though. A mistake I'm sure I'll never repeat.
Old September 26, 2016, 01:03 AM   #166
drain smith

First off I have a family shoot 3 times a year. Labor day, Memorial day, and Independence day. What that mean is my wife and three of my daughters and their husbands bring their guns to my range and I get to supply ammo.

Well 2 July 2014 I have to make 3,000 .223s. But first off one of my backhoe operators calls in sick so I have to run one of my backhoes for 9 hours that day. It was 90+ degrees with about 65% humidity. I did manage to eat 3 tacos and a soda around noon but that was the only thing I had all day.

Well about 6 PM I get to the reloading room. I reload on a Hornady Ammo Plant with a deluxe control panel. This means it has a primer slide sensor, primer level sensor, and a power level sensor. But due to the fact I am loading rifle rounds I don't have a power safeguard die and only have a power cop that I have to watch. But in 4 hours I am done with all 3,000.

This is where I should point out that I am diabetic. Not only do I not remember watching the power cop, I don't even remember pulling the handle on the press. So I did a blood test, and holy crap. The next day I remade all 3000 rounds I can't take the chance of a squib with my wife or my daughters shooting. I ended shooting all 3,000 rounds myself later and they were all fine but I couldn't take the chance with my family.

Now to fix the problem for Christmas I bought my son-in-laws each there own Ammo Plants with 3 shell plates and 3 sets of dies each. I set them up and timed them. So now it's up to them to bring their own ammo.
Old September 26, 2016, 05:45 AM   #167
stagpanther

Quote:
First off I have a family shoot 3 times a year. Labor day, Memorial day, and Independence day. What that mean is my wife and three of my daughters and their husbands bring their guns to my range and I get to supply ammo.

Well 2 July 2014 I have to make 3,000 .223s. But first off one of my backhoe operators calls in sick so I have to run one of my backhoes for 9 hours that day. It was 90+ degrees with about 65% humidity. I did manage to eat 3 tacos and a soda around noon but that was the only thing I had all day.

Well about 6 PM I get to the reloading room. I reload on a Hornady Ammo Plant with a deluxe control panel. This means it has a primer slide sensor, primer level sensor, and a power level sensor. But due to the fact I am loading rifle rounds I don't have a power safeguard die and only have a power cop that I have to watch. But in 4 hours I am done with all 3,000.

This is where I should point out that I am diabetic. Not only do I not remember watching the power cop, I don't even remember pulling the handle on the press. So I did a blood test, and holy crap. The next day I remade all 3000 rounds I can't take the chance of a squib with my wife or my daughters shooting. I ended shooting all 3,000 rounds myself later and they were all fine but I couldn't take the chance with my family.

Now to fix the problem for Christmas I bought my son-in-laws each there own Ammo Plants with 3 shell plates and 3 sets of dies each. I set them up and timed them. So now it's up to them to bring their own ammo.
Not sure this counts--sounds more like you did a very smart thing--circumstances considered. You got my respect.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:23 AM   #168
drain smith

Thanks. But it didn't feel to bright the next day when it took me about 5 1/2 hours to make an other set. When I have a large run I stage brass and bullets in baggies in 100 count and I didn't have my Brass monkey filling primer tubes for me. All I kept thinking is all I had to do is eat a few crackers or eat a piece of fruit.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:49 AM   #169
Reloadron

I began rolling my own in 1972 when I came home from Vietnam. Bought a Lee progressive and started with 44 Magnum for my Model 29. It went something like Bang, Bang and a pop. Bullet now stuck in forcing cone. Went to range smith Emery. Emery got out plastic hammer and wood dowel. Problem fixed and went back to shooting. Bang, Bang and again pop. Went back to Emery, again hammer and dowel. The third time Emery just told me to keep the hammer and dowel till I was done.

I think I managed to load something like 6 of 50 as squibs without any powder. Haven't loaded another squib in over 40 years but the look on Emery's face when he just handed me the dowel and hammer was priceless.

Ron
Old September 26, 2016, 11:21 PM   #170
pctechdude

Was disassembling my Glock 20 10mm, removed magazine, pulled slide back, nothing drops out. Proceed to pull the slide lock down, slide won't budge off. So release slide lock, pull slide back nothing.

Mind you I had a dumba$$ moment and didn't look in the chamber, had gun slightly tilted so I couldn't see inside.

Again, release the slide, pulled the slide lock down, pulled the trigger. BANG! OH [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] My hand, is it OK?

Bullet went through exterior door of the garage into the truck tire.

So after collecting myself, and checking my drawers for soilage, I examined the gun. The extractor was broken and not grabbing the case. I am thankful that I had the extended barrel in the gun (6" KKM precision) instead of the factory barrel at that time. Had the factory length barrel been in the gun, I probably wouldn't have a left hand.

The extractor was promptly fixed and I always remember to check the chamber.

Old September 27, 2016, 04:11 AM   #171
stagpanther

Wow--that's up there with my 308 in a 270! Thanks for mentioning it--I have a glock 20 sf myself--the scariest thing I have had happened with it so far is had a squib end up just forward of the chamber--I was lucky as all heck because I didn't notice anything different in the firing report but the next round refused to chamber without jamming. Had the bullet lodged a little more forward--it would have been.... KA-BOOM hand grenade!
Old September 27, 2016, 08:29 AM   #172
pctechdude

Wow yeah, that would of been all bad. Can never take things for granted, I did once and it almost cost me dearly! The gun was newer to me at the time as I bought it used. I may have missed the extractor being broken? It's a gen 2 but in recent times I bought a new gen 3 SF frame for it. My wife likes the sf frame a lot more for her smaller hands. So it's a win win!

On the bench, I've ever only had two goof ups, I ran 50 rounds of 45's without powder :-(

The second was 20 rounds of 243 with large pistol primers. Caught that after seating the last primer. No powder or anything in the case so easy fix.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old September 27, 2016, 08:46 AM   #173
Don P

Photos from my trying to seat a high primer on a completed round, ouch!
The piece of brass is what was in my arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All sewed up.jpg (121.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg close up 2.jpg (36.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg shrapnel & dime 2.jpg (37.1 KB, 96 views)
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 27, 2016, 09:00 AM   #174
stagpanther

Quote:
Photos from my trying to seat a high primer on a completed round, ouch!
The piece of brass is what was in my arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All sewed up.jpg (121.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg close up 2.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shrapnel & dime 2.jpg (37.1 KB, 0 views)
You mean you had a completely charged cartridge--and put it in the press to try to get the primer flush with the case rim face?
Old September 27, 2016, 09:15 AM   #175
stagpanther

Quote:
Wow yeah, that would of been all bad. Can never take things for granted, I did once and it almost cost me dearly! The gun was newer to me at the time as I bought it used. I may have missed the extractor being broken? It's a gen 2 but in recent times I bought a new gen 3 SF frame for it. My wife likes the sf frame a lot more for her smaller hands. So it's a win win!

On the bench, I've ever only had two goof ups, I ran 50 rounds of 45's without powder :-(

The second was 20 rounds of 243 with large pistol primers. Caught that after seating the last primer. No powder or anything in the case so easy fix.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I think those extractors simply take a beating over time--especially if you "experiment" with high power reloads and conversions--which I do with mine. I use it not only with 10 mm but also 9 x 25 dillon.