The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
SDShooter79

Why can't I let her go?

Why can't I let my old 270 go? I've had a Savage 270 for about 6 years and have taken alot of good deer with it. I spent some time today on the internet because I have this notion in my head that it's time to trade her in for something fancy and stainless. It's not even a Savage persee, it's a Stevens 200 that I bought when they first came out. I remember I ordered an older style Savage monte carlo stock for her and glassed her in. Shoots great, .5 with corelokts; blued steel and wood. Maybe i'm just emotional right now...not sure.
B
Old November 2, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2
shootniron

No more than you would get for it...just keep it. It is not like it is an expensive rife that will bring a lot of money to put toward another rifle.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
mrawesome22

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:37 PM   #4
highvel

Sell,trade, heck no! I'm against relinquishing ownership of any firearm, period.
You are ok in purchasing,trading for, or any legal means of acquiring a firearm but once you take possession it's like children they are yours for good!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 2, 2011, 07:55 PM   #5
bswiv

Had my 40 year old Rem. 700 in 25-06 out to test the sights yesterday. Along with it a OLDER Glenfield ( cheep model Marlin 336 ) in .35 Rem.

The .25 will still hold a inch with factory ammo, the .35 still sloppy but minute of deer.

Just like the wife.............not messing about as these get the job done.....with no ugly surprises.

And being serious, as someone noted.......for the value of the used rifle, if you have to have a new one, keep it.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:01 PM   #6
sc outdoorsman

My Dad has a beat up Browning .270 that he has killed a ton of deer with. It has been used hard and has the scars to prove it. You couldn't talk him out of that rifle or caliber for anything. He knows when he lines up the cross hairs with that rifle there is no guessing. If you feel the same way I would keep it and not think twice.
It took me a long time to find one, but I finally got a rifle I feel the same way about. It is an older Savage that is basically the same rifle you have. That one will be with me for a long time.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Hog Buster

I have bought, swapped and traded more guns than I can remember, but there’s always been a few that I never considered getting rid of. Not for any particular reason, just the way it is.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:20 PM   #8
SDShooter79

This buck and the hunt it took to get him is one of the reasons I can't let my ol' faithful 270 go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11156_1129170801394_1590943597_30284419_7128932_n.jpg (76.4 KB, 99 views)
Old November 2, 2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Tuzo

Great photo, great deer, great rifle, great caliber. I considered moving to South Dakota except I drove through there one winter and have been reconsidering ever since.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:23 AM   #10
warbirdlover

You've never been to Wisconsin Tuzo!
Old November 3, 2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My uncle bought his 270 right after he got out of the Army in 1945, Winchester if I remember correctly Model 54 I think. From then till he died 40 years later from smoking related causes he took deer, bear and 1 moose every year, sometimes several deer. Not a single reason to upgrade if it shoots as good as you say it does. Only reason I would reconsider is if you decide to take up bench shooting competition or Kodiak bear hunting.

If you want another gun to play with that is reason enough but you will be kicking yourself hard in the glutes if you let loose of a perfectly good gun without really needing the money from it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 3, 2011, 11:26 AM   #12
black mamba

Keep it. It's a way better rifle, especially to you, than the money you could expect to get for it.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:42 AM   #13
serf 'rett

Opinion: The only justification for divesting oneself of a firearm is it fails the "shoots great" test.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:59 AM   #14
SDShooter79

I don't think I could ever part with it. Besides, when you find a rifle that shoots good for you, it's really only valuable to you. Hell, just another excuse to but another rifle!
Old November 3, 2011, 09:37 PM   #15
BIG P

I know what you mean I've got a Rem 7600 pump in 270,& she's just like a old girl friend she aint all that pretty but she sure can DANCE.I'm keepin HER.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Deja vu

unless there is a good reason (such as selling it to buy Christmas for your children) don't get rid of it.

If it works don't trade it in for a different gun. I have traded in a few guns in my day but most of them where ones I never liked. I have never traded a gun that I liked.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 6, 2011, 07:59 PM   #17
dbw22lr

keep it

I have an old 30-06 thats been around for 30 + years and i would not trade or sell except under dire need. Look around and you will find something to buy then you'll have one extra.
Old November 6, 2011, 09:36 PM   #18
ritepath

Never sell or trade a gun that works...you'll regret it at some point and time. I sold lots of fine pistols and rifles in the 80's and 90's. Some I really miss now that they cost 5x what I paid then.

Go ahead and upgrade but some time down the road you'll pick that old 270 up and head into the field again with it.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:08 PM   #19
TX Hunter

Its not against the law to own more than one Rifle. If your so strapped that you have to sell it to get another one your priorities are questionable. JMO