The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
E.J.W.

Savage/Stevens 22LR auto

I have a Savage 6B auto that my Nephews always share when we go shooting. I recently picked up a Stevens 87AB at a garage sale for $25 thinking the boys would each have their own rifle to shoot.
The two rifles are identical to each other, except the Stevens has a feeding problem. The shells won't lift high enough for the bolt to catch them and push them into the chamber. With the stock removed, if I lightly push on the lifter with my finger I can feel the shell dragging just enough that the lifter spring can't overcome it. I completely disassembled and cleaned this gun before testing it so I don't know if it worked correctly before I bought it or not. I have swapped the lifter and spring from the Savage, this did not fix it. I removed the cartridge guide and polished the inside walls then tried the guide from the Savage, neither corrected the Steven's problem.
I'm under pressure from the boys to get both guns back together and get the Stevens working.
What else could it be?
Thanks
E.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Hawg

The lifter spring is a doubled spring setup. You might try bending the legs to give it more tension. Numrich has original springs for 3.10 or what looks like a heavier replacement spring for 6.30 I can't link directly to the page but they're on page 5, part number 61 http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=852
Old May 3, 2011, 12:39 PM   #3
E.J.W.

Hawg,
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look a Numrich Gun Parts tonight.
I thought about "modifying" the original spring but then felt if the Savage works fine with the same components that I swapped from it into the Stevens for a test run yet the Stevens still did not feed, there must be something else wrong.
I even went as far as to compare the width of the opening where the cartridge guide fits into the bottom of the breach. They are exactly the same.
I'm at wits end.
Eric.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Hawg

You might also get a new lifter. If you don't get it working I'll give your money back for just the stock.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
E.J.W.

Ok, I received the replacement parts from Numrich Saturday. The most important piece of which I was hoping would solve the feeding issue (the magazine guide) came looking like it has been outdoors for the last 20 years. It's all rusty and nasty. For the $20 charged I thought the part would at least be in "useable" condition. I brushed it up a bit but I'm not thinking it's going to do much good as I can't get a 22LR cartridge to slide through it at all.
Does anyone have experience with Numrich "Gun Parts" in exchanging "ugly" parts for a somewhat "better" condition part?
Thanks
Eric.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6
gunplumber

I believe your lifter can be insalled upside down; I think I recall one coming in that way. If yours has a bump on the tip of the lifter proper, it goes up. Also I think the front of the trigger assembly housing also restricts lifting and acts as a stop. DO NOT disassemble the trigger group. Also it is important that your trigger housing scws and lifter guide scws are tight. Sorry about your Numrich parts; that used to be quite common but has been better since they finally went to computors. You might call them and exlain your plight and see what response you get. Are both your lifter bushings in place?
Old May 9, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7
E.J.W.

gunplumber,
Thanks for the info. Luckly I have the savage to reference for proper assembly.
The little "nub" on the lifter is facing up towards the bolt. I called Numrich when I got home, they are going to see if they have a better one. I have not disassembled anymore past the lifter and guide. Both lifter bushings are in place correctly.
I glass beaded the "ugly" guide and it came out fairly good. I will try to polish the insides of it with my Dremel and see how it turns out. At least I'll know if I will really need Numrich to send another or not when they call tomorrow.
Thanks.
E.