The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 25, 2006, 08:30 PM   #1
tony pasley

all weather shooters

going thru a course of targets and it started raining everyone but 1 left how many others don't shoot in sunny weather
Old June 25, 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Walter

I've fired a lot more rounds "in anger, with the intent to kill",
in the rain, and in the dark, than I ever did in bright sunlight.

In my opinion, anyone training for self-defense shooting would
do well to train in any and every adverse condition they can find.

But that's just my opinion.

Walter
Old June 25, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3
rmagill

Working security, my schedule is pretty abnormal, so when I have a set date/time to practice, that is when I practice. So, I have practiced while it was raining, windy and cold (not all at the same time, though).

As Walter said, for those that practice for self defense, it only makes sense to practice in very poor conditions. Otherwise, you may not know how adverse conditions may affect your shooting.
Old June 26, 2006, 04:09 AM   #4
tINY

I won't venture out if it's raining, but short of a downpour, I'll stay at the gravel pit at least for a while.

I hate leaving the other guns out (the ones I'm not shooting), so a pause to cover them up is usually in order.

-tINY

Old June 26, 2006, 05:40 AM   #5
hsim

Having shot at a couple of National IDPA matches, it's not an option. Short of a server thunder storm, you shot, with or without rain gear!
Old June 26, 2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Samurai

I've done several extra-curricular activities which have required that I spend the whole day out in the rain. (College-level marching band, hiking, sailing, lifeguarding, etc...) So, now I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to staying outside in the pouring rain. Rain just doesn't bother me.

I went to my first IDPA event last April. Around 9 am it started pouring the rain. I mean, difficult to see the silouettes at 15 yards. Everybody started scrambling for umbrellas and rain coats, and I just stood there screaming, "C'mon guys! We're all born wet! A little water won't kill ya'!" People thought I was really weird...
Old June 26, 2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Captain38

Shooting in Foul Weather

I was a State Police Firearms instructor for quite some time and my policy was that we always continued to shoot as long as it was not so windy that the targets wouldn't remain in their frames. It never got too hot, too cold or too wet. The only weather I ever halted the range for was for nearby lightening.

When the troops complained, I usually told them, " I have to be here all day (or night, as the case may be) and can't really feel too sorry for you when you only have to be here for an hour or so", adding, "that's why we call it COMBAT shooting"!
Old June 26, 2006, 06:04 PM   #8
stevelyn

Quote:
......how many others don't shoot in sunny weather?
There is no such thing as sunny weather out here in Aleutian Hell. We have plenty of rain, wind, snow, wind, fog, wind, overcast, wind, wind, wind and wind. We also have winds out here that they would give cute little names to down south.
We use steel target rather than paper, but there is the risk of them rusting away before the session is over.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 26, 2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Blackwater OPS

I have shot matches is foul weather, it did not bother me a thus I found it to be to my advantage. When training to fight, you train as you fight.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old June 26, 2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

While I shoot in all kinds of weather, I've found that I like snow the best.

Especially the really light fluffy stuff! You can actually watch the snow part as the shock wave of the bullet passes through. Quite an interesting display...
Old June 26, 2006, 08:37 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While I shoot in all kinds of weather, I've found that I like snow the best.
Eeeeeeeeeeyow Al!!! Geeze, I remember one of my first qualifications under a hard core rangemaster. It was 10 degrees with a windchill of -12!! Between shots, you had to keep your hands (with gun ) between your legs or you couldn't pull the trigger. Some lost feeling in their hands and dropped their guns! Absolutely miserable! Brrr-r-r!

Nosiree. When I shoot, the birds gotta be singing, the grass gotta be green, & the breezes gotta be balmy .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 26, 2006, 08:44 PM   #12
snolden

We don't get any rain but we do get 70mph plus winds, dust storms and heat and cold (I live in northern AZ) down to about 5 below without the 70 mph windchill.

I shoot in it all including in the dark. For those that have never seen their weapon's muzzle blast at night it is something that you may not expect. I totally did away with one carry ammo because of the nighttime muzzle blast.
Old June 26, 2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Wyo Cowboy

Kinda like the postman... Neither rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night... nor high winds, low tempature (well, I do draw the line when the temp goes negative!), fog, etc.
Old June 26, 2006, 10:39 PM   #14
tony pasley

i didn't think i was i was going sane and one of a very few who shot reguardless of what ma nature threw at me. shooting in the snow is fun except after 10 to 20 rounds the snow meltedfor about 3 feet
Old June 26, 2006, 10:42 PM   #15
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kinda like the postman... Neither rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night... nor high winds, low tempature (well, I do draw the line when the temp goes negative!), fog, etc.
Hey, the first thing I learned from my FTO when I was a rookie was... "A good police officer never gets tired, cold, hungry or lonely" .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 26, 2006, 10:50 PM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Charlie, I said snow, not a danged blasted blizzard! 'Sides, ya couldna see the target in one 'o those!

Wyo Cowboy, OK. I admit it. When the real temp drops below zero, I pack it in...rather, I don't pack it out of the house. That's when I'm in the shed, reloading! (remembering that the wind is just picking up speed in Idaho on its way to Wyoming!)
Old June 26, 2006, 11:11 PM   #17
Limeyfellow

Shooting in snow can be really nice to do, as long as you got a pair of gloves and luckly here it doesn't get super cold like it does further up north in the US. I done a little shooting in the rain, quite a bit at night, but really if you are training as a self defense/home defense or such roles training in all weathers seems to be the point, since if you didn't the first time you need to for real it be freezing rain, 70mph winds and raining frogs as the rivers turn to blood.

When target shooting for accuracy and competitions I tend to perfer it to be a little nicer though. My perfect temperature tends to be in the 60-70 degrees F range.
Old June 27, 2006, 10:05 AM   #18
AirForceShooter

I was at a public range here in florida and it started raining and I mean pouring.
The RO asked if we wanted to quit until the rain stopped. Not a single person (rifle, pistol, shotgun) wanted to quit. It was great. You could tell who the combat veterans were.
As happens in Fla. rain stopped in 15 minutes.

AFS
Old June 27, 2006, 05:39 PM   #19
smince

I was up for my turn in a combat match back in the late 80's (before IDPA) when the bottom dropped out. My RO asked if I wanted to wait or run it. I said to run it, because I wouldn't be able to pick my weather in a real fight. He said "Good for you" as everyone else ran for the clubhouse.

I'd like to say I cleaned the course. I didn't, but I learned a lot about my own capabilities and where I needed work.
Old June 28, 2006, 12:30 AM   #20
guntotin_fool

Living in minnesota, half of hunting season is rain or snow. from the middle of sept till dec 31, you can dress for the cold and wet, but you can make the calendar stand still. My biggest buck Ever came on a day when it was so cold my can of pop froze INSIDE my jacket. I had just decided to say the heck with it when my brother stepped off his stand and spooked this monster from under a spruce tree. He had his rifle slung and mittens on, I got the deer.

Best day EVER hunting was goose and duck in the era of generous bag limits. They just kept dropping out of the freezing rain and sleet into the dekes. Something like 4 snows and a canadian plus 6 or seven ducks, what ever a full limit was.

If we are just going shooting and it looks bad, we bring things that do not mind getting wet. The fancy guns only come out in the nice weather.
Old June 29, 2006, 11:38 AM   #21

We shoot rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, heat, cold, whatever the only thing that slows shooting down is lightning. Lightning has the right of way, everything else is a minor inconvenience.
Old June 29, 2006, 12:47 PM   #22
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
We shoot rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, heat, cold, whatever the only thing that slows shooting down is lightning. Lightning has the right of way, everything else is a minor inconvenience.
And tornados, I remember at Fort LW during basic, we had to crawl inside the cement "foxholes" on the range because of one of those. OF course it never hit....
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 2, 2006, 04:12 PM   #23
Easy E

Unless the weather turns really nasty, I just keep shooting. I'll make it a point to do a full detail strip for cleaning afterward though.
Old July 5, 2006, 04:31 PM   #24
Raptor5191

I am sorry, but I can not see how anyone can say they will only shoot when the weather is "peachy".

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Do the bad guys only attack in well lit, nice weather? If that is the case, my instructors AND the bad guys must have not gotten that memo.
Old July 5, 2006, 05:32 PM   #25
MisterPX

I shoot no matter what weather; be it 10 deg and a foot of snow, a heavy rain, or 130 deg.