The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2001, 11:07 PM   #1
Dogger

This is the vintage M77, not the Mark II. Chambered in 30-06. With a 4x10 Bushnell Sportview scope. The scope would someday be replaced by a Leupold. Anyway, the rifle is in great shape, with only a minor ding or two on the wood and all the blueing is intact. He wants $375 for the whole kit and kaboodle. Whaddaya think? Obviously there was a reason Ruger improved the M77 to the Mark II version. What can you tell me about the M77? Thanks.
Old January 29, 2001, 11:46 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Great rifle but IMO he's way high. You could have a new MkII for $430, same price for stainless. The scope is worth maybe $20. I'd say about $300 even, for that you get the rings and he keeps the scope.

The big difference between the "MkI" and the MkII is the MkII has a three position safety and control feed. I can't remember if the MkI has a fixed ejector but the MkII does. The MkII is more like an old '98 Mauser or pre '64 Winchester.

The MkI has a tang safety which is convenient but not as positive or safe, it's basically just a trigger safety. The MkII safety physically locks the bolt & firing pin - you could pound on them all day with a lead pipe and they ain't goin' no where. Plus it's got a third position that lets you cycle the action to load and unload with the rifle still on "trigger" safety. On a MkI you had to take it off safe to cycle the action.

I've got both, and while I got no plans to get rid of my M77v, I do think the MkII is a worthwhile improvement -- Kernel
Old January 30, 2001, 01:56 PM   #3
Dogger

Hmmm... based on the number of folks who have reviewed and bypassed this post, I would say there is not a lot of enthusiasm for this rifle at this price.

Which is good information for me!

Old January 30, 2001, 03:35 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I think you came to the right conclusion. The scope is pretty much a throw away, so the price is really only for the rifle and $375 is a bit high for the used market on an M77 in a very common caliber.