The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 26, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
blincoln

National CCW?

I saw an add on Facebook refering to a National CCW. When I clicked on it, it wanted me to sign up and have it posted all over my facebook, which I am not a fan of.

So my question is simply: Is there a National Concealed Carry Permit/License?

If so, where would one find information on it?

Most of the states I visit for family, etc. honor my Colorado CCW, but two do not (Nevada and Massachusetts) and a national one would be of interest.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 26, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
sigcurious

There is not. I would imagine the facebook page is something for national reciprocity, which is a real thing. Info I think it's still hung up and probably will be until after election season.
Old September 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
RedBowTies88

It's very important to those of us who cannot exercise our rights and are forced to live in fear of dangerous criminals.

Sadly no such thing exists at least yet
Old September 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
mySig229

No...but, some are recognized by many other states. Mine is WA and is good in ID, MT, ND etc...
Old September 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5
chris in va

I don't see how a 'national' CCP would work. There would have to be standardized training requirements, and every state is different in this regard.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
MLeake

I think pending cases about incorporation of 2A, whether keep and bear extends outside the home, etc will be the more likely route to a nation-wide right to carry. But, I am also not opposed to a legislatively mandated reciprocity - assuming it is modeled on the way driver's licenses work.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
There would have to be standardized training requirements, and every state is different in this regard.
That's problem #1. Citizens of states with more lenient laws would have to suffer stricter requirements imposed by less tolerant states. Consider that New York would have a say in how Tennessee residents get a license.

Quote:
But, I am also not opposed to a legislatively mandated reciprocity - assuming it is modeled on the way driver's licenses work.
That's problem #2. It perpetuates the idea that self-defense is a licensed privelege rather than a right.

Problem #3 is the fact that relaxed standards in some states might harm our litigation efforts. Part of the reason that Woollard is such a pressing case is that Maryland's permitting system is so arbitrary.

I do think we're better off getting a right acknowledged in the courts rather than a privelege perpetuated by the legislature.
Old September 28, 2012, 03:48 AM   #8
RedBowTies88

Why not instate a national CCW permiting system but leave state system in tact? the if you want a permit guaranteed to work in every state you can apply for such or if you're happy with what you have now you can keep it?

Federal action of some type is the only thing thats going to help us here in the commie states
Old September 28, 2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
I think pending cases about incorporation of 2A, whether keep and bear extends outside the home, etc will be the more likely route to a nation-wide right to carry. But, I am also not opposed to a legislatively mandated reciprocity - assuming it is modeled on the way driver's licenses work.
Everyone seems to forget that the "Drivers License" model was in fact reciprocal agreements between the individual States - The Feds had nothing to do with it. That is exactly the manner in which the States are currently negotiating current CCW reciprocity.

Again, the Feds have no authority in this sphere. Nor should they have any.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
RedBowTies88

But if the feds have no authority who is supposed to enforce the constitution so states like NJ can't just walk all over it?

supreme court? please...we can see how well thats working out.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
sigcurious

Quote:
who is supposed to enforce the constitution so states like NJ can't just walk all over it?
The voters of that state, and people/organizations that have the time and money to pursue court battles. It's a long slow process, it is the process.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:10 AM   #12
KMAX

Personally, I feel the less the feds have to do with firearms legislation (regulation) the better. I don't want anyone from DC, NY, or CA making decisions for me in TX. I think a national CC program would only lead to more gun control by the feds and less self-determination for citizens.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 29, 2012, 10:22 AM   #13
RedBowTies88

Quote:
The voters of that state, and people/organizations that have the time and money to pursue court battles. It's a long slow process, it is the process.
It's clear that in this state the majority of voters do NOT want consealed carry or even the second ammendment at all. The product of anti-gun brain washing by elected officials spanning generations

That fact however does not take away from the rights guaranteed to every INDIVIDUAL by the constitution even though NJ thinks it does. Court battles in NJ are one sided and crooked. Our rights will never be won at a state level and SCOTUS picks and chooses what it wants to hear. Not that I have any faith in SCOTUS if they did hear a case.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
But if the feds have no authority who is supposed to enforce the constitution so states like NJ can't just walk all over it?
The 14th Amendment's Privileges or Immunities clause is supposed to do that, but the Chase and Taney courts did a good job of neutering it.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:46 AM   #15
RedBowTies88

Truth of the matter is... (or at least my opinion) the feds need some authotity to enforce the constitution.

I'll all for less goverment power both state and federally (hell i voted ron paul) but we just cannot allow these states to bypass and ignore the constitution and the citizens within those states both living and travelers to suffer for it.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #16
JerryM

This comes up periodically.
It is not going to happen. I am not at all sure it is a good idea, and at this time am opposed to it.

It is a two edged sword. If the fed govt can tell the states they have to recognize other state's licenses then the fed gov can also tell them they cannot. I think it is a state's rights issue, and not the Federal
Government's.

There is little to no parallel between CCW and driver's license.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:12 PM   #17
JimPage

JerryM: I totally agree, "There is little to no parallel between CCW and driver's license."

Bearing arms is a right. Driving is a privilege.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM
. . . .If the fed govt can tell the states they have to recognize other state's licenses then the fed gov can also tell them they cannot. I think it is a state's rights issue, and not the Federal
Government's.

There is little to no parallel between CCW and driver's license.
I don't think the federal government tells the states that they have to recognize other DLs, though. That works through an interstate compact. At least, I've never seen a federal law mandating recognition of non-commercial DLs. For that matter, I haven't seen one mandating recognition of CDLs, but those are more heavily regulated on the federal level.

I do not want to see federally-mandated recognition of CCLs, for reasons already stated by others, such as national standards, which will (IMO) be set at more restrictive levels, rather than less restrictive ones.

However, I would support something like the interstate DL compact, by which states voluntarily sign on to recognize permits from out of state.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #19
RedBowTies88

Can be at least agreed upon that the federal goverment should move a little more power to enforce the constitution?

I would much rather NJ get slapped around by the fed for ignoring the constitution then some sort of national carry bill. However at this point I would explore nearly any avenue to restore the rights of myself other americans living this way.

I feel like if more people understood what it's like to be here there would be more of a national outcry to help. After all we're all supposed to be americans and supposed to have equal rights. reguardless of state or position of power
Old September 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

RedBowTies88, it wouldn't bother me one bit to have the fed government come down on states who are (or who I believe are) violating the 2A. Those of you in the particularly restrictive jurisdictions have my sympathy. The DOJ has a civil rights enforcement division, but I don't see them taking on a state over the 2A, sadly.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:16 AM   #21
drail

The idea that a "license" is required to exercise a clearly defined Constitutional right is the most ridiculous concept I have ever heard. Should the Govt. require you to purchase a license from them to exercise free speech or to attend the church of your choice?
Old October 1, 2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The idea that a "license" is required to exercise a clearly defined Constitutional right is the most ridiculous concept I have ever heard.
The problem is that there isn't a clearly defined right to concealed carry.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:12 PM   #23
JerryM

No right is without restrictions. As more murders are committed, especially when involving a president or large number of people, there is an attempt to fix the problem with more laws.

I am not opposed to limitations on 2A, and not opposed to some on the 1st. It is a fine line that divides helpful limitations vs unnecessary and illegal limitations. That is why we must remain vigilant, and belong to the NRA.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richar...b_1924394.html

Interesting take on the national CCW debate. It does have some politics in it. I don't know the author or organization though.

It would seem that support of CCW is a true test of support the RKBA besides the every popular - I'm a hunter and sportsperson.

But avoid a take on each candidate please.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:57 AM   #25
ChuckS

He had me right up to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Huffington Post
The applicant should be competent in of how to operate a handgun, familiar with the basic rules of gun safety and hold a fundamental understanding of the laws of "deadly force" as well as how they may differ from state to state.
What " basic right" needs a competency requirement?

I know "concealed" is not a right just the bear part, but in some states OC is not allowed.

Currently Pennsylvania doesn't require competency tests for licensing. PA is very close to "shall issue" the other states requiring some type of training/instruction...not so much. And what about states that don't issue CCW's (VT, IL) or are "may issue?"

BTW, all of the above stipulations are good things to know. I just am questioning the "competent" requirements and who are setting those rules.

Tags
ccw , concealed carry , national