The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 19, 2017, 04:14 PM   #1
stagpanther

Games Optics Planet Plays

Last week made a pretty big order with Optics Planet--all items were listed as in-stock when ordered. Little did I know that "in-stock" means either they have it or know someone that makes it.

I was told one item was missing--but so far nothing has been processed and shipped from the order. The one item that turned out not to be in stock--a handguard in FDE--is available in other colors. So I sent messages through their "contact us" e-mail form on their site--as well as placed a half dozen calls this weeks indicating I don't care what color they send me--just send me one. Nobody is answering calls as far as I can tell. No response to any calls or e-mails.

Tis the season I guess.
Old December 19, 2017, 05:58 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

They have customer service taking calls all day long. I've dealt with them for years with ZERO problems and they've NEVER failed to answer the phone. They sell most of their stuff on the phone, so they answer it. I can't even recall how many items I've bought from them over the years and have never had one problem. It makes no sense at all that you say they don't answer the phone. That's absurd. You sound like you work for a competitor.
Old December 19, 2017, 06:23 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
It makes no sense at all that you say they don't answer the phone. That's absurd. You sound like you work for a competitor.
Just telling it like it is--and I could care less whether you believe me or not. The fact remains--every call I've made this week (not to make a new order) has been booted to a recording asking for telephone number and message. The e-mails and voice mails I left all had my contact info, what the issue was and what I would like to do. Like I said--zero response so far. I don't expect immediate responses necessarily (though I can name other industry companies who generally respond immediately). They would be better off saying in-stock doesn't necessarily mean in stock right on the item order button--and it's definitely not a good a idea to say we'll get right back to you if in fact you don't. Just because you've had wonderful service does not refute what happened.
Old December 19, 2017, 06:34 PM   #4
rickyrick

I’ve heard similar complaints through the last few years.

I’ve purchased from them a few times, wasn’t too satisfied with the experience.
Doesn’t matter if they answer the phone or not, to me; if I needed to call them, then the problem has already occurred.

It’s simple, if I order and pay for a product, then that should be the end of continued effort on my part.
If I hear that someone has to call for customer service, then that tells me that there’s a problem.

Many good companies get me the items that I’ve ordered in a reasonable timeframe. Some do not, I avoid them.
That’s pretty much why I’ve stopped using a few suppliers. Optics Planet, CTD and PSA, are on my list to avoid.
Old December 19, 2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

Moved to the Retail Deals and Feedback forum.

Note that the rules for this forum are now in effect. Please read them before commenting, as well as the general Gun Show rules.
Old December 20, 2017, 05:44 PM   #6
TruthTellers

rickyrick hit the nail on the head. I ordered a red dot from opticsplanet on Cyber Monday, with the free shipping, and it still hasn't shipped yet. I tried to call them Monday, was on hold for 5 minutes and decided it wasn't worth waiting however much longer to talk to them.

Ended up reaching out to them on Twitter, was told the item should "ship Wednesday" and was given an extra $5 discount.

Now I just read an email from Optics Planet that says the manufacturer isn't likely to ship Optics Planet any of the Primary Arms red dots until March 2018.

So, Optics Planet is willing to take MY MONEY, tell me 7-16 days til it ships, then when I have to ask questions, end up telling me they don't have any in stock. I've never seen a company take orders for stuff that's not in stock and not tell people. MidwayUSA doesn't do that, Cabela's doesn't do that, SportsmansGuide doesn't do that, Natchez doesn't... NOBODY DOES THIS!

I shouldn't have to do all this extra work. I don't care if the total price of this red dot is $73, if I don't have it until March, what's the point?

I'm cancelling the order and am going to have to tell people stay away from Optics Planet. They no good.
Old December 20, 2017, 05:53 PM   #7
stagpanther

I received notice today that the some of the stuff I ordered shipped--but apparently the e-mail and voice messages were ignored since they simply stated the handguard --originally FDE --will be shipped from supplier--eventually. That really disaapoints me since they could have easily substituted the same handguard in other colors which I requested as a substitute (unless those too aren't really in stock, I guess)
Old December 20, 2017, 06:02 PM   #8
TruthTellers

I did a live chat with Optics Planet and the CS person said they should ship the red dot on Dec 28th. So, I've had three different answers as to when the red dot is shipping.

This has to be one of the worst companies I've ever tried to do business with. I thought Grabagun.com had slow shipping, but at least they shipped within the stated time they said they would. OpticsPlanet just keeps giving you a different answer of when things should ship, but never telling you up front that the item isn't in stock.

CS was fast, but the company is crap. I'll be sending the President or whoever an email about this situation. Absolutely unprofessional and unethical.
Old December 20, 2017, 10:13 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

My very limited number of orders through Optics Planet all left me rather unhappy.
The worst was a Redfield Revolution rifle scope that was "in stock" and had an estimated delivery date that was only about 10 days out. I placed the order, and - before even the order confirmation email arrived - immediately got an email stating that, 'due to high demand ... the product wouldn't ship for 5-6 weeks'.
That scope's application wasn't ready to shoot yet, so I let it slide.
Time passed. I grew irritated. OP didn't care.
I demanded a refund. They told me it was "impossible" because they'd already paid the "supplier". I filed a claim with the credit card company. They negotiated with OP and knocked something like $40 off.
In the end, it took five MONTHS for them to have the scope drop-shipped from Leupold/Redfield.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:36 PM   #10
armoredman

I had one experience ordering from Optics Planet. They ignored directions for shipping and my scope bounced around the entire West Coast for over a month before it was sent back to them. During the entire episode I asked them if they would just send me another one and they refused. They offered me zilch and that's the business I give them. I know they have done well with many other people, or they would no longer be in business, just my personal experience was unhappy enough that I won't deal with them again.
Old December 24, 2017, 08:28 AM   #11
cannonfire

huh, that's interesting. I've ordered several items from them in the past without so much as a hiccup. Thanks everyone for sharing, I guess I'll be more cautious about ordering from them.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:43 PM   #12
njsco

I have to speak up in support of Optics Planet. I've ordered several in-stock items from them and each item shipped promptly, usually within a day of placing the order, without issues. Their prices are also some of the best, particularly for high demand items.

I know any business can have problems and its frustrating for those who experience them. I personally have had such poor customer service from one place touted as having the best service in the firearms industry that I choose no longer to do business with them. That is my choice.

However, in the case of Optics Planet I don't think anyone is taking a risk ordering and in-stock item form them.
Old December 24, 2017, 02:37 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
I don't think anyone is taking a risk ordering and in-stock item form them.
Except when an in-stock item isn't in stock.
Old December 24, 2017, 06:42 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
And they don't tell you that when you order that item online, unlike literally everybody else.
Old December 26, 2017, 09:17 PM   #15
DMK

It seems to me that they actually sell items from other smaller businesses, kind of like what Amazon does with some items. They are a store front for smaller businesses inventory.

I've ordered a few items from Optics Planet and over the last year noticed they were shipped from different business names.

That said, I have ordered quite a bit from them for years and never had any problems.
Old December 27, 2017, 01:56 AM   #16
stagpanther

They're not the only ones who play the middleman game--but it really shouldn't be legal in my opinion to lock up an order and charge information by having a storefront that lists an idem suggesting that it is "in-stock"--giving the impression that it's inventory on-hand and ready to ship from their facilities, regardless of where that might be--when in fact the item is not. In my case, they did not respond to any of my requests to modify the order. Obviously the profit margin goes up when when inventory carrying requirements go down.

Optics Planet is over and out on my list of vendors.
Old December 27, 2017, 03:18 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

I totally agree.
The drop-ship business model and total lack of customer service is why I absolutely ignore OP now.
I have a "40% off a single item" coupon sitting on my work bench - good for pretty much everything on their site, under $300, except some optics and a few clothing brands (like Under Armour). It's only on the bench, instead of in the trash, because I'll use it to mix epoxy for stock bedding in a few weeks...
Old December 27, 2017, 04:18 AM   #18
ms6852

Through out the years I have heard similar complaints about Optics Planet. Their website shows inventory in stock than you order and have to endure the frustration of inventories not in stock. Obviously they do enough business to keep them afloat regardless of the numerous complaints.
Old December 28, 2017, 12:30 PM   #19
zukiphile

Quote:
I don't think anyone is taking a risk ordering and in-stock item form them.
Quote:
Quote:
And they don't tell you that when you order that item online, unlike literally everybody else.
This has been my experience with them too. I will say that they haven't charged my card unless they've arranged to send the item out soon. It's been particularly frustrating where I've called to speak with a rep to be sure that they would be sending me the right item, and I wait only to be sent the wrong item. I took this as incompetence rather than dishonesty.

I wouldn't tell anyone to be happy about the delays that aren't disclosed until your order is confirmed. I can only say that I will continue to order from them if the price is right and with knowledge of the risk I am running

Last edited by zukiphile; December 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM.