The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2018, 02:14 PM   #1
spawndn72

327 fed magnum bullets

Badman bullets makes 100 grain RNFP and 78 grain RN coated bullets that are both .313 diameter. Would either be ok for the 327? Ideally I would like to be able to use the same bullet for 327 and 32 S&W long.
I will be using these in a Ruger SP101 with 4.2" barrel.
Old July 8, 2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The choice depends on what you want to do with it. If you like that bullet shape, I would see about getting a small quantity of each one for testing.

As to fitting, both should be easy in that regard. Full wadcutters for .32 are 80 to 100 grains, and they are seated all the way down so they are flush with the case mouth in .32 S&W Long. So there is no chance your bullet choice won't function in both cartridges with loads adjusted for them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 8, 2018, 04:49 PM   #3
rc

Hornady!

The Hornady XTP will handle anything the 327 can dish out from a pistol. They can hold up to 32-20 rifle speeds. They are true jacketed and reasonably priced. Why look further for something not as good? The 100 grain version of the XTP would be my choice. rc
Old July 8, 2018, 05:00 PM   #4
spawndn72

Quote:
The Hornady XTP will handle anything the 327 can dish out from a pistol. They can hold up to 32-20 rifle speeds. They are true jacketed and reasonably priced. Why look further for something not as good? The 100 grain version of the XTP would be my choice. rc
I should have mentioned that these will be purely for punching holes in paper.
After doing more research I found others using .313 diameter bullets, so that answers my question. I bought a thousand of the polymer coated 100 grain RNFP's for $76, that's about half of what the Hornady's cost
Old July 8, 2018, 07:32 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Run them at slow or moderate speeds, and they'll be fine.
Push them to .327 Federal pressure levels, and you may damage the forcing cone (or worse).
Old July 8, 2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

In the future, you may want to look at wadcutters. They make the scoring easier.
Old July 8, 2018, 08:40 PM   #7
spawndn72

Quote:
Run them at slow or moderate speeds, and they'll be fine.
Push them to .327 Federal pressure levels, and you may damage the forcing cone (or worse).
What is this based on? What I have found say that they are good for 1200-1500 fps.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

There is no magic velocity number. Bullets either are subjected to too much pressure to keep their shape well or are made to spin too fast to hold together. The velocities associated with these limits change with barrel length and rifling twist rates.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:15 PM   #9
spawndn72

I am confused. I am just trying to figure out why pushing these bullets to 327 federal magnum pressures could damage the forcing cone or worse.

Is it because they are lead and could deform at those pressures?

Forgive my ignorance, I am just fairly new to this. And very new to this caliber.
Most of my experience is with 9mm, 45ACP and 357 mag
Old July 9, 2018, 12:18 AM   #10
Sevens

The .327 Federal has the space for propellant AND the maximum SAAMI pressure allowable (45kpsi) to deform light for caliber or lightly constructed bullets. If you run a light bullet hard in .327 Federal, you can distort that bullet such that it will slam in to the forcing cone out-of-round.

A 71 grain FMJ bullet designed for the .32 ACP is a good example -- the .327 has enough propellant space to send that bullet at the speed of light. But... don't do it in a revolver that you love.
Old July 9, 2018, 06:44 AM   #11
SBH

How is all this doom and gloom about the bullet and gun known ?
Old July 9, 2018, 07:01 AM   #12
spawndn72

Quote:
A 71 grain FMJ bullet designed for the .32 ACP is a good example -- the .327 has enough propellant space to send that bullet at the speed of light. But... don't do it in a revolver that you love.
I bought the 100 grain bullets. According to the website they are hardcast bullets(16BHN) that are coated with 2 layers of baked on polymer and then sized.

I will be shooting these out of a Ruger SP101 with 4.2" barrel.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Real Gun

100 gr is pretty heavy and slow for a 32 SWL. I use 78 in 32 SWL and 95 or 100 in 327 Federal. My guns have no leading issues at any level in the 327 loads with 95-100 gr, including max loads with magnum powder like AA#9. Using 78 gr in 327 would be too much velocity for a lead bullet, I expect, and you might not find load data for it. There is a subsonic load for 327 Federal 100gr, which I use in my carry gun, which might be worth a sample try with 78 gr., if inclined to fly without supporting proven data.

32 SWL load data in Lyman shows velocity for 100 gr. hovering around only 600 fps. I suggest adding some 78 gr for the 32 SWL and forget about compromising to have a common bullet.

Last edited by Real Gun; July 9, 2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old July 9, 2018, 09:17 AM   #14
Sevens

The warning of forcing cone damage by running bullets beyond the scope of their design comes from multiple different ballisticians at Alliant.

Last edited by Unclenick; July 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: removed noise
Old July 9, 2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Sevens

Safe handloading to you and definitely check out this thread:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...&highlight=327

What it doesn't have is discussion on coated slugs. It needs it!

Last edited by Unclenick; July 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Eliminating last of noise trail
Old July 9, 2018, 11:19 AM   #16
spawndn72

Quote:
What it doesn't have is discussion on coated slugs. It needs it!
Thanks. Hopefully I can help with that situation.
I emailed badman bullets to ask about the max pressures and velocity for their 100 grain RNFP coated bullets. Hopefully they will get back to me.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Sevens

This same situation (having a cartridge with the ability to run bullets -way- beyond the limit of their construction) is also a prevalent with the .454 Casull and .460 S&W Magnum.

The situation is "the perfect storm", all it requires is a modern cartridge with a high or VERY HIGH maximum allowable SAAMI pressure and enough case volume for a fat load of propellant and also utilizing a diamter of bullet that was long, long ago established at half or a third of the pressure in a century old cartridge.

If you use run of the mill .45 Colt jacketed slugs in a .460 S&W Magnum and push them near 60,000 PSI, you'll experience exactly what we are talking about with the .327 Federal.

This issue is as much a "revolver with cylinder to forcing cone" jump as anything. If you have a Contender or Encore and you want to go crazy with lightly constructed bullets, you aren't likely to damage anything.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:22 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

One thou isn't going to make any difference. The only issue you might have is finding .32 S&W Long 78 grain data. Don't think it'd be terribly difficult either. There isn't any on Hodgdon's site. Don't have my Lyman book here to look.
Badman says about their polymer coated bullets(on their FAQ page), "...these bullets can be pushed out to 2,200 fps..." Max loads for the .327 are a very long way from that.
"...100 gr is pretty heavy and slow for a 32 SWL..." There's 98 grain cast HBWC data on Hodgdon's site. The Max HP38 load runs 861 FPS out of a 5.32" barrel. It'll be a bit slower out of your 4.2" barrel.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:06 PM   #19
spawndn72

So I found these and have ordered a couple of boxes. Looks like they use the same poly bullets I ordered. So I will chrono these and try to match them

https://www.foundry35.com/collection...nt=46488786762
Old July 9, 2018, 01:20 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Are you going to know what powder they used? Different powders loaded to produce the same velocity with the same bullet don't produce the same peak pressure (what you are interested in), only the same average pressure. Slower powders achieve that average with a lower peak and higher muzzle pressure and vice versa.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:37 PM   #21
spawndn72

Quote:
Are you going to know what powder they used? Different powders loaded to produce the same velocity with the same bullet don't produce the same peak pressure (what you are interested in), only the same average pressure. Slower powders achieve that average with a lower peak and higher muzzle pressure and vice versa.

Very true. Once I chrono the factory loads that will give me a better idea of what speeds they are getting. If they are in the 1200-1400 fps range then I think that will be easy to work up extrapolating some of hodgons loads from the 100 grain XTP and the 90 grain lead RNFP's.

I have 800X, CFE pistol and PB on hand which all have load data from Hodgon
I also have AA#7 which has load data for the 100 grain XTP.
Thoughts on those powders? Or where to start with any of those?
Old July 9, 2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Real Gun

I load 327 Federal based on a copy of Brian Pearce's article in Handloader magazine. I suggest anyone loading this cartridge should own a copy. I went with Power Pistol and AA#9, not really pushing for maximum pressure/velocity but serious loads nonetheless, powder bordering on being compressed.
Old July 9, 2018, 02:27 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Keep in mind that no matter what the manufacturer claims as max achievable velocity, it is the bullet softness and construction that are the issue with potential forcing cone damage.
Bullet companies like Badman (as well as a million internet experts) generally only quote max velocity based on what the bullet coating, lube, or bullet material itself can handle before one fails and performance is adversely affected. Most people are so used to those discussions being based on semi-autos, rifles, and low pressure revolver cartridges, that high pressure revolvers never cross their mind(s). They've never had to consider the bullet smashing into the forcing cone with 45,000 psi behind it, nor read the reports from ballisticians that have blown up .460 S&Ws with soft bullets, so they may not even know that it should be a consideration.

If you want max velocity, it is recommended that you use bullets designed to handle the pressure.
If you want to shoot cheap, soft bullets, then it is in your best interest to back off to a more reasonable pressure level. (For me, that's 36k psi or less - max pressure for .44 Mag and 9x19mm. But, most of the time, my cast bullet loads are way down around 12k-18k psi.)

Based on the last link that you provided, there can't even be any argument about the cost of 'proper' bullets for the job. (I didn't see you mention it, but it has been a common argument in the past.)
Those Great Lakes 100 gr RNFPs are $0.50 apiece. That's quite expensive for a .32 revolver bullet.
Popular options in the 'proper' bullet category:
Hornady 100 gr XTPs are generally available for $16-18 per box, or $0.16-0.18 apiece.
Sierra Sportsmaster 90 gr JHPs are $0.22 apiece (or less).
Speer Gold Dot 85, 100, and 115 gr bullets, when available, are generally $0.14-0.20 apiece.
Old July 9, 2018, 03:01 PM   #24
spawndn72

FrankenMauser,

The only reason I ordered them was that they were the ONLY 327 Fed Mag's I could find in stock anywhere. The AE's are sold out everywhere I looked.

I am not really trying to set any records with velocity's or pressure. I just wanted to know what the limits were with the badman bullets that I bought.
Those suckers are getting used one way or another even if they roll out the end of the barrel

The Hornady 100 grain XTP's seem to be sold out everywhere as well.

Thanks for all the discussion. Once I get everything in place and work up a load I will move this discussion to the other thread.
Old July 9, 2018, 03:19 PM   #25
NINEX19

Quote:
Badman bullets makes 100 grain RNFP and 78 grain RN coated bullets that are both .313 diameter. Would either be ok for the 327? Ideally I would like to be able to use the same bullet for 327 and 32 S&W long.
I will be using these in a Ruger SP101 with 4.2" barrel.
I have used many of the 100g RNFP from Badman bullets in multiple .32 caliber pistols and a rifle. I have loaded them in .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag. and .327 Fed. Mag. I have many successes with different loads throughout the last two years in experimenting with the .32 caliber. I am unable to post exact load data, but if I remember correctly, AA#7, IMR Target, and Bluedot are all what I found the best for .327 Fed. Mag. and .32 H&R Mag. CFE pistol looks good in print, but I could never get good results. I can not remember entirely what I settled on for .32 S&W Long for the 100g RNFP, but for 100g copper plated and FMJ, nothing can beat Bullseye. All loads used were from published sources.

Badman Bullets is a very good company to work with. Good prices and usually ship the same day.