The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2017, 06:12 AM   #26
B.L.E.

Quote:
If it is #4 Buckshot there are 21 .24 diameter shot per ounce. So you are shooting something like 9 or 10 balls bigger than a 22 at once. Still bunny burger I would think.
A .24" spherical projectile weighs about 20 grains. Half the weight of a .22 Long Rifle bullet. Number 1 buck at 40.5 grains would equal .22 bullets, although they do lose velocity faster with distance, much faster. There are few projectiles worse than a round ball when it comes to ballistic coefficient.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:54 AM   #27
Brassguy

I use mine for shooting skeet. Also had a survival gun with a .22 hornet/410 combo that worked well for grouse or ptarmigan. But I was shooting those close and on the ground.
Old October 9, 2017, 12:36 PM   #28
bamaranger

still learning

Green Lantern, in the interest of helping you learn, let's try this again. Let's start with terminology. You used the term "fixed choke", lets elaborate on that first. The term " fixed choke" is a descritpion of a barrel type, not a degree of choke. Many barrels these days have interchangeable chokes and can be user changed by swapping choke tubes. A fixed choke barrel has a degree of choke set during manufacture, and cannot be user swapped by using screw in tubes. But a "fixed choke" is not a degree of choke/muzzle constriction. Up until the 1970's or so, nearly all shotguns had "fixed" chokes. Chokes were not "interchangeable" as they are now. What you likely say on Youtube was a defensive shotgun with a short barrel and fixed choke in Improved Cylinder. That is a common arrangement for a defensive shotgun.

To try and get on track, the .410 gauge is not typically equipped with interchangeable chokes/tubes. Almost all in my experience appear as Full, fixed choke guns, though I have handled a few .410's that were marked modified and of course were fixed as well.

Regards our conversation on buckshot and birdshot. In any gauge, choke system or barrel barrel length, birdshot cannot equal buckshot in "damage" to big game and human targets, which I will translate into lethality, except at very short, near contact distances. I am not going to waste any more text trying to persuade you.

Good luck in you firearms education. The shooting world is a complex one, with many terms and self avowed experts. YouTube is a great venue for learning. I spend more time watching it than a grown man should, and have learned a great deal from on several topics . But one must weigh one video against another, and against other resources for credibility and correctness. I would encourage you to find a knowledgeable mentor, and get some reading time in with assorted books and magazines with known credibility.

Good shooting, bama.
Old October 11, 2017, 07:31 AM   #29
CockNBama

Well, you folks inspired me. Took my .410 out and hit some clays with it.

But I cheated. First, the clays were thrown from my Trius trap, so they were slow, compared to skeet clays, and they started right at my right foot. And they flew about the same way every time. Finally, I used 3" shells, with loads of 11/16 oz and 3/4 oz, both 7 1/2 shot.

And the darn thing broke 43 out of 50. Amazing.

Personally, I wonder if White Flyer clays aren't so fragile that a near miss shock wave shatters them.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:37 AM   #30
stuckinthe60s

some clay is thicker than others.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old October 11, 2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unfortunately, I'm using mine as a corner dust catcher.

It's a Garcia Bronco .22/.410, and it's broken and I've not yet figured out how to fix the darned thing.

When it wasn't broken I really only used it for fun shooting, and mostly the .22 barrel at that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 11, 2017, 11:50 AM   #32
RAEIndustries

Squirrels that get on the roof, after they are off the roof
Old October 11, 2017, 09:15 PM   #33
darkgael

I like the .410 a lot. i own four of them. One is Springfield’s out of production M6 Survival O/U, one is the Mossberg pump gun, one is a little Stoeger SXS coach gun and the last is an ATI O/U with 26” barrels. The last weighs almost nothing and walking the hilly and dense huckleberry covered uplands of North Mt PA, it is a quick and effective gun for grouse and close pheasant (#6 shot three inch shell)
I have made it a habit to bring either the ATI or the Mossberg along to the Trap range. I am no great Trap shot but I can shoot in the middle teens from the 16 yard line with these two and 2.5” 1/2 oz shot loads.
I load my own on a MEC 600.
Old October 11, 2017, 09:54 PM   #34
Prof Young

A mossberg 500 pump in 410 was the first gun I ever purchased. Love squirrel hunting with that gun. Had it a long time before it became a little used gun. Sometime I still think I should not have sold it off, but if you are no longer using a gun . . ..

Life is good
Prof Young
Old October 11, 2017, 11:58 PM   #35
FrankenMauser

Though this shot was not with a .410, this is what I generally use it for:

(It's a Ruffed Grouse, for anyone unfamiliar.)

If the bird isn't sitting still, and close enough for a head/neck shot, I pass it by or watch it fly.
But I must admit... popping a couple pine chickens with the .307 today made me wish I had the .410 in my hands instead.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:44 PM   #36
WV_gunner

I load my cylinder full of 000 and unload on a gallon jug of ice. Lots of fun. Other than that, I don't really shoot .410 much.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:45 PM   #37
darkgael

Sitting

Quote:
If the bird isn't sitting still, and close enough for a head/neck shot, I pass it by or watch it fly.
I read about folks who find ruffed grouse on the roadside. I wonder where they live.
In all the years that I have been hunting grouse, i have only once seen a bird by the side of the road. If i did not shoot at them when they were flying, i’d never have gotten to shoot at all.
Old October 13, 2017, 12:48 AM   #38
FrankenMauser

I see them on or by the road all the time.

...But I can count on two fingers the number of grouse that I've shot from a (dirt) road. It's illegal, at least 95% of the time. (Not counting closed logging trails/roads. That's legal where I hunt.)

Almost anything you read about my grouse hunting involves beating feet through the woods -- especially areas with healthy pine mixed with sick aspens*, dead-fall or blown-down timber, and within 30-150 yards of a decent a water source and green grass. It's usually better hunting if the terrain is 'stepped' with fairly steep slopes, but small, relatively flat areas interspersed.
I wait for them to hide under a tree or hop onto a log. And.... Blammo! (Or watch them fly away.)

*(I always find more around diseased aspens than healthy trees.)
Old October 13, 2017, 09:54 AM   #39
ligonierbill

I grew up hunting grouse in western PA, and I developed a healthy respect for them. Pretty rare to spot one sitting. When I moved to Idaho, I was surprised to find people hunting them with 22s. One guy clubbed a "fool hen" with his walking stick. They still tasted just as good.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:00 AM   #40
Don Fischer

I don't shoot mine a lot but it works great working with the dog's. When I go grouse hunting, not enough, I take it along as a backup for my 28 ga SxS. The 410 is also a SxS both AyA Matadors.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:49 AM   #41
340 Weatherby

I've shot a lot of .410 as you have to in skeet competition. But hunting with one sure separates the men from the boys. When you get a limit of doves with a .410, you have really done something.
Old October 13, 2017, 02:00 PM   #42
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I've shot a lot of .410 as you have to in skeet competition. But hunting with one sure separates the men from the boys. When you get a limit of doves with a .410, you have really done something.
I couldn't do it.
But I'd like to see it.

Quote:
I grew up hunting grouse in western PA, and I developed a healthy respect for them. Pretty rare to spot one sitting. When I moved to Idaho, I was surprised to find people hunting them with 22s. One guy clubbed a "fool hen" with his walking stick. They still tasted just as good.
Yea, they're a bit different out here.
I've taken as many Ruffed and Dusky with a .44 Mag, using custom (1/2 oz) shot shells, as I have with any shotgun or rimfire. (Centerfire hunting rifles account for the majority.)
One of my brothers has about a dozen witnessed stick or rock kills to his name. Both of us have at least one kill with our boots (quick kick to the head, then snatch them up and break the neck for good measure).

Due to the way the grouse act, the lower human population, and the different political climate out here, weapon restrictions are very minimal in this part of the country - at least for forest grouse. I think the only thing prohibited in Idaho is a crossbow. Spears, sticks, rocks, boiling oil, blow guns, fire and brimstone... all legal.

Even the .410 is overkill most of the time, but having one available allows taking cottontails and snowshoe hares, as well. (In Idaho, at least. No centerfires for the bunnies, and I don't like going out with just a rimfire. -- Utah, my other 'primary' hunting state, is a bit different and legal weapons for bunnies can depend upon what other seasons are open in the area, due to the 'temporary game preserve' regulations.)
Old October 26, 2017, 05:44 PM   #43
ligonierbill

Thanks for the input. I did buy a Mossberg 500 .410 (<$300, can't go wrong) and put it to paper this afternoon. The 3" 11/16 loads of #6 patterned respectably at 30 yards. The 2 1/2" 1/2 loads were a little thin at that range. Pretty well put together little gun.
Old November 28, 2017, 09:25 PM   #44
pelo801

I have a saiga 410. Its been pretty much used exclusively for shooting rabbits
Old December 22, 2017, 08:42 PM   #45
flashhole

FrankenMauser - keep your wits about you if you try and load shotshells with hand tools.

Years ago I bought a break action Mag Tek single shot 410. My wife uses it on the farm as her critter gitter. She's not a good shot and it will take her 3, 4, 5 shots to kill something. Cost adds up pretty quick so I started reloading them. Even bought a shot dripper to make #6 shot.

Got tooled up with hand tools and started reloading. Had a primer go off as I was seating it with a nut driver that fit the task well. Blew the nut driver out with some authority. It bounced off the ceiling and ended up across the room. Put an end to that adventure.

Looked for a safer way to prime the shells w/o buying a dedicated loader. Turns out a 7mm Rem Mag shell holder holds the 410 shells nicely but the hole in the center is too small for shot shell primers. A 5/16 stone and my Dremel remedied that problem.

I bought a Lee Ram Prime. The interchangeable priming rods for large and small primers are 1/8" diameter. Same diameter as a roofing nail, the head of which fits the 5/16 hole in the modified shell holder.

Now I prime my 410 shot shells on my center-fire reloading press. Much, much, much better than beating on it with a hammer and chasing the tool across the room.

I also have the base of the RCBS Ram Prime and fashioned a ram by rounding the head of a 1/4" hex head bolt and use it with the Lee Ram Prime shell holder that screws into the press and the modified 5/16 shell holder that snaps into the Lee part. Both tool configurations work great.

I made a plunger from a wooden dowel and outfitted it with a ball handle. Works great to seat the over powder card, fiber wads and over shot card.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 22, 2017, 08:55 PM   #46
FITASC

Quote:
Something that some of my friends do regularly. There is a small group at my gun club that regularly shoot 5 stand and FITASC targets with their 410s. They shoot everything from Win 42s to Browning, Beretta and Cesar Guerini over-unders.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 10, 2018, 08:59 PM   #47
std7mag

I love my 410's!
I have 2 currently. A bolt action Hawthorne, and a Savage 242 410/410.

The Savage is deadly on rabbits.
The Hawthorne is my go to pheasant and squirel gun.

Mostly shoot Rem 7, 1/2 or 6 shot. 3" rounds for me.

I have taken the Hawthorne turkey hunting.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:24 PM   #48
Blindstitch

I had a cheap break action when I was a kid in the late 80's early 90's that I bought for $20 at a rummage sale with a box of shells. This gun was used for walked up grouse usually under 10 yards and never flying.

Maybe it's just my part of northern Michigan but I could hear them drumming from morning till evening in September-December. I'd just walk slow in their direction and usually get one if I was patient.

Eventually I got rid of the gun because it wouldn't break easy. A few years ago I picked up a Rossi 22/410 and learned it was light, recoil sucked and the pattern was a real question mark. That on top of the price of ammo will keep a 20 guage filling the spot. And it's even useful for pesky raccoons. Got 4 this year not really trying.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:36 PM   #49
FrankenMauser

Quote:
FrankenMauser - keep your wits about you if you try and load shotshells with hand tools.
Thanks for sharing. I missed your post initially.
When I get around to brass-cased .410 reloading, I'll be using reloading tools for priming and depriming.
Old January 10, 2018, 11:22 PM   #50
old roper

I do like 410. I have match pair Rem 1100 skeet 410 and 28 ga. I use to shoot skeet then got some other barrels and shot few grouse.
NRA Life Member