The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
GorillaGunworks

Opinion Needed

Ok guys so i need your opinions, i Have a YouTube channel i started about a month ago, the channel is basically geared towards showing how to gunsmithing tips and tricks and how to instructional videos. my question is what type of videos would you guys like to see? any specific subject or gunsmith related work youd like to learn, Maybe Stippling or correct way to install sights? Etc. just looking for some feed back. if your interested in checking out what i have so far just search The Hobby Gunsmith on youtube and check it out. thanks again guys and look forward to hearing your opinions.

Last edited by GorillaGunworks; November 27, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old November 27, 2017, 01:03 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

When it comes to doing DIY upgrades to my guns, the first two things I look for are trigger and sight upgrades...namely trigger upgrades/improvements. Usually it is just a drop in replacement and not hard to figure out. The guns I usually have to do the most research on before diving in are pistols (hint hint). I haven't watched any of your videos yet, but please start off with suggested tools that you'll be using. That way, people aren't thinking a philips screwdriver also would be a good pin punch haha

Also, I tried searching your name (GorillaGunworks) on youtube and nothing came up. Can you post a link to your youtube page?
Old November 27, 2017, 01:21 PM   #3
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Also, I tried searching your name (GorillaGunworks) on youtube and nothing came up. Can you post a link to your youtube page?
sorry friend i did not include the channel name. i dont know if a link is allowed but the channel name is The Hobby Gunsmith.

I will try to post a link either way to see if its allowed because i am not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3N...kfPWN0or-RhX3A
Old November 27, 2017, 02:10 PM   #4
jag2

For me I'd like helpful tips and ideas. I think I'm just the average guy that like to tinker but say, something like cutting dovetails to install a new sight, no way. I don't have the skills or equipment to do something like that. I might try smoothing out a trigger but only if I knew I could buy a new one in case I screw it up. Perhaps just focus one particular gun and share some of experiences you've had or heard about.
Old November 27, 2017, 02:17 PM   #5
reynolds357

I learned gunsmithing out of a huge book. The first thing I ever wanted to do was rebarrel a 700. I think I rebarrelled a 700 before I ever touched a trigger job.
Its interesting how many different ways there are to rebarrel a 700.
Old November 27, 2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Model12Win

I'd like to learn how to do hot salts bluing to make my cap n balls have an original style finish.
Old November 27, 2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Rachen

+ to whatever everybody else said, first of all.

In order to also create space for newbies and beginners to the sport, I would also include reviews of stock, market firearms as well. It seems that 2017 can very well be the Year of the Bolt Action. Just two Cabelas catalogs 4 weeks apart featured about 5 new models of bolt action rifles. The Remington 783 looks like it is going to be popular this Christmas. Low priced, available in a world of calibers, and easy to use. And there is a new Thompson-Center bolt action that is released in the $300-400 price range. I never even knew TC was going to make a bolt action!

So I am predicting this new year, there will be a lot of people who received rifles as presents who will want to watch tutorials on how to properly use and care for them. And there will be no better thing on a gun channel than reviews and range reports on currently popular factory guns. For the more advanced audience, tips on accurizing, glass-bedding, scopes, gunsmithing etc... would be another good subsection to have.

But with all these new rifles coming onto the market, the Staples order-supervisor part of me from years ago is kicking back in full swing, and I am predicting there will be a considerable number of newcomers to the shooting world, including those who have never even handled a firearm before. Good luck with your channel guys, and thank you for doing your part to educate the world-wide Youtube community on firearms.

Quote:
I'd like to learn how to do hot salts bluing to make my cap n balls have an original style finish.
You can also try carrying them all the time, drawing and shooting them, in all kinds of weather conditions, for many years. It will take slightly longer than doing a salt-blue job but all the guns you see in Old West museums that have the patina finish, I am sure they didn't get that way because their owners modified them

Last edited by Rachen; November 27, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:32 AM   #8
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
For me I'd like helpful tips and ideas. I think I'm just the average guy that like to tinker but say, something like cutting dovetails to install a new sight, no way. I don't have the skills or equipment to do something like that. I might try smoothing out a trigger but only if I knew I could buy a new one in case I screw it up. Perhaps just focus one particular gun and share some of experiences you've had or heard about.
Thanks for the input i will keep in mind. its tough trying to come up with content people would like to watch.

Quote:
I learned gunsmithing out of a huge book. The first thing I ever wanted to do was rebarrel a 700. I think I rebarrelled a 700 before I ever touched a trigger job.
Its interesting how many different ways there are to rebarrel a 700.
Remington 700 has always been one of my favorite platforms, reliable and so many options for configuration to choose from.

Quote:
That would be a tough one since i dont have a large shop as i use to when i had my business, i can definitely do a Cold Bluing how to. not as durable but gets the job done if done correctly.

Quote:
It seems that 2017 can very well be the Year of the Bolt Action.
I agree with you its becoming a precision market, might do some videos on barrel accurizing.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:55 AM   #9
lamarw

I recently undertook a project of restoring a poorly sporterized mauser. I relied on numerous youtubes for removing a barrel, cutting a new barrel, crowning a barrel, replacing a barrel, drilling and tapping for a scope, jeweling the bolt, bluing the finished product and etc. There were numerous youtubes on each endeavor, and I watched them all.

There seems to be a lot of help available. I would suggest you review what is available prior to duplicating it. That is unless you have a different or better approach, It might be best to specialize in what your take on to share. Select a specific firearm. Select a specific process. Select specific tools and the list could go on. Where to search for tools, replacement parts and etc.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:40 PM   #10
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Select a specific firearm. Select a specific process. Select specific tools and the list could go on. Where to search for tools, replacement parts and etc.
Thank You will definitely keep that in mind.
Old November 28, 2017, 04:46 PM   #11
vito

I'd like to see a video that actually shows me how to EASILY take apart and put back together my Mossberg 500. Every time I clean it I have a problem at the end getting the trigger housing properly back into the stock. Makes me avoid cleaning this SHTF firearm that I rarely shoot.