The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: POLL: Concealed Carry in Church: Do / Did / Will you?
I didn't in the past but will consider it now 5 6.85%
I didn't in the past but do now 6 8.22%
I did in the past and still do 58 79.45%
I did in the past but don't any more 3 4.11%
No need to I'm bulletproof 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19, 2017, 07:23 PM   #51
octalman

A couple friends have indicated a new interest in being legally armed (Texas LTC) in order to be a "good guy with a gun". Other friends have for a long time been carrying everywhere they go. Many friends expect the vast majority of Texans outside the 4 large cities carry. Being a "good guy with a gun" includes serious responsibility, something many Texans do not shy away from. Cowards that perpetrate mass killings count on gatherings of defenseless victims. It makes no difference if the location is gun free by law or no "good guys with a gun" are present. Should be a wake up call when average citizens young and old think it is time to be armed. Reality is finally taking hold that law enforcement personnel 9 times out of 10 can only deal with the aftermath of a crime. Protecting yourself and family is a 24/7 personal responsibility.
Old November 19, 2017, 07:54 PM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Many friends expect the vast majority of Texans outside the 4 large cities carry.
What's interesting is that I took a look at TX license applications and it seems that the more rural areas are under-represented.

For example, the county that contains Sutherland Springs has an application rate something like 8 times lower than the statewide average, as I recall. It seems that the more populated areas have a higher density of people with handgun licenses.

My suspicion is that people tend to think of the rural areas as being safer and therefore don't see the need to carry a handgun.
Old November 19, 2017, 08:43 PM   #53
TXAZ

The data on what counties have the highest LTC rates has been published by DPS.
I believe suburban counties were generally the highest.
And maybe the frontier counties were the next largest groups.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 20, 2017, 04:18 PM   #54
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
My suspicion is that people tend to think of the rural areas as being safer and therefore don't see the need to carry a handgun.
I was talking to a person who said she lived in Sutherland Springs. She heard the shots and thought they were just target practice (that's what she said). Didn't know what happened until she saw it on Facebook.

She said she moved there to be in the country and safe. Reality is that the vast majority of eligible folks don't have LTCs and the vast majority those those don't carry much. Also, the vast majority of those who carry don't train beyond a box at the square range once or twice a year.

Outside of my competitor friends and committed training friends, my friends with LTCs fall into the box a year paradigm. The typical gun is usually a LCP or Taurus 85. A Shield is a quantum step up.

Some churches are stepping up with the dedicated members of the congregation.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:08 PM   #55
carracer

I have cc'd in church for years. I am also, for the last 3 years a member of our "Security Team". It consists mostly of one person every Sunday that says he/she is security and is stationed at the entry door. It seems I am the only one that takes this position seriously. Most , esp the women, do not even remain at station. I don't think anyone besides myself carry anything. I always cc and most times also have a non-lethal with me. When I'm not "on duty" I sit close to the back of the room where the entrance to the service is located and off to the side. I don't face front but more of an angle where I can see who is entering as well as the front. I would be interested in communicating with any here that may have suggestions or helping advice.
Old November 20, 2017, 07:16 PM   #56
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
CLARIFICATION: If you attend worship services...

A lot of friends in Texas are reconsidering Concealed carry in their place of worship here in Texas after the tragedy in South Texas.

What's the sentiment across the country?

One recent pronouncement from the United Methodist Church was to restrict Open carry but not address (tacitly not restrict) Concealed carry.

What say you for you legal CHL /LTC / CWP holders?

When on stage I pocket carry my LCP and when I’m not serving or when I’m doing sound I CC a G23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 22, 2017, 12:41 PM   #57
octalman

Compare LTC issued as percentage of population between large population counties and small population counties. The small population counties beat large population counties. For example, Harris County 0.6% vs Childress County 1.2% for 2015. Of course large population centers will reflect larger gross number of LTCs issued.

Also, LTC numbers are not the single indicator. You see many more long guns readily accessible in rural smaller population counties.
Old November 22, 2017, 01:44 PM   #58
lordvader

I think at least one person should carry at a church. I usually do not attend church, but if I did, I might consider depending on the congregations thought on the subject. I don't open carry cause I don't want anyone, criminal or law abiding to see or know what I have. It would be to easy for someone who wants to do harm to disable you first if they know you are armed. Carrying open is not always a deterrent to someone wanting to do something bad. Just puts you at a disadvantage, hence, that is why I don't want anyone to know what I have on me. Just food for thought.
Old November 22, 2017, 07:33 PM   #59
SauerGrapes

I carry everywhere! {Except where metal detectors are present}
It's shame people have to carry in church. Nothing is off limits anymore. If the pope invited me to lunch, I'd still carry.

R.I.P.____Murphy