The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2015, 07:01 PM   #1
mellow_c

Is this trigger adjstable for pre-travel?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Comba...item463e1c3a96

It has the over travel screw, but are those extra bits of metal behind the trigger and bellow the top bar meant to be used for pre travel adjustments? I have been looking at these Long Wilson combat triggers, specifically the solid ones, for a couple of my Remington R1's. I haven't been able to find anything in the descriptions that mention they can be adjusted for pre travel.

Also... I like the look of the solid triggers, is there really any reason to go with the skeletonized ones?

Thanks!
Old August 12, 2015, 11:24 AM   #2
rkbanet

Yes those tabs are for take-up adjustment.
Old August 12, 2015, 11:36 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Lightened triggers are used in pistols with light trigger pulls. The light weight reduces the tendency for the trigger to "pull itself" from inertia when the slide is released to load the first round. Some shooters ride the slide down, others pull the trigger before releasing the slide, but for those who like to just let the slide go, the light trigger reduces the chance of the hammer dropping into the half-cock notch or onto the "shelf".

Jim
Old August 12, 2015, 11:55 AM   #4
tangolima

The take-up (pre-travel), together with the trigger return spring, served to slow down or to stop the rearward motion of the trigger during slide surge. Reducing take-up much may not be what you want.

-TL
Old August 12, 2015, 03:26 PM   #5
mellow_c

I'm not going to be messing with the trigger "systems" on these R1's. I'm only going to replace the triggers and do my best to fit them for a nice feel with just a little pre travel and over travel for reliable operation. If this trigger in it's solid form will do that. Then I'm sold.

Since I will be leaving the "trigger system" stock, (not a particularly light trigger pull), am I right in assuming that a little extra weight from a solid long trigger, and a little adjustment to reduce pre travel will not be enough of a variance to give me any of the problems you've all mentioned?

Last edited by mellow_c; August 12, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old August 12, 2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Since I will be leaving the "trigger system" stock, (not a particularly light trigger pull), am I right in assuming that a little extra weight from a solid long trigger, and a little adjustment to reduce pre travel will not be enough of a variance to give me any of the problems you've all mentioned?
No, not with your sear system being stock. As Jim mentioned, that is for one with light trigger pull.
Old August 12, 2015, 09:02 PM   #7
mellow_c

Great, Thanks everyone.

Then it looks like these are the triggers I've been looking for.

Solid

Long

groves on the trigger face

Polished bow

Adjustable for pre travel and over travel

plain matt "silver" finish.

I think I'll be happy with these. Thanks everyone for the help!