The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
hornetguy

original Stevens Favorite

I started a project a WHILE back, and have had it shelved for a couple of years. I had an old Stevens Favorite rifle given to me that was mechanically pretty sound, but the barrel had been abused enough to where the rifling was almost non existent, and rusty.
I decided to rebarrel it for the .17 Mach2... I bought a .17 barrel blank, and have turned down the shank to fit the receiver, and that's where I lost my access to the lathe and mill I hoped to use to finish it up.
Lately, I've been noticing it's difficult to find ammo for that little bb sized cartridge. The question is... how much more breech pressure is generated by the .17 HMR, and would the little Favorite be able to handle it? My gut reaction is "no", but I've never read anywhere about what kind of pressure the little tilting block can handle.
Any experts out there know anything about the Favorite?
Old January 24, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Scorch

17HMR and 17HM2 operate at the same pressure, just that the 17HM2 maintains peak pressure for a shorter time.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:41 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those little guns were designed for a black powder .22 cartridge, and I am not fond of shooting even modern .22 LR high velocity in them, though folks do it.

Jim