The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
amx4080

The SKS Market, April - June 2013

Prices on SKS rifles cooled a bit during the second quarter of 2013, and if you thought the Panic of 2013 was calming down, you were right. The GunStockMarket tracks prices, and has compiled this report: 2013 Second Quarter SKS Market Report. Hope you find it useful.
Old July 21, 2013, 03:00 AM   #2
skizzums

cool info. thanks. makes me sad that i coulda sold my bullpup for 1500$.
Old July 21, 2013, 04:18 AM   #3
bacardisteve

Interseting data you found. A month ago I sold a yugo in a tapco stock with 4 mags and 500rds of ammo for $800.
Old July 21, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
lagavulin62

I'm getting average prices for Manlicher and MN 91/30 at 250. The CZ82 is closest at around 325 but for the guns I know of these prices seem high. They need to list current guns for it to be meaningful to me. I mean they are calling it a "Gun Stock Market". I worked around the website but couldn't get much out of it. Pretty useless to me but interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 21, 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
barnbwt

What's really funny is how far sales have dropped, compared to how little prices have decreased. Checking out other models from the site also suggests prices have not come down all that much compared to the drop in demand.

Guns don't rot (normally), so all the suckers can hold out for as long as necessary to pawn their items off onto even bigger suckers, so prices inflexible downward. We gotta wait for the suckers themselves to fail (i.e. kick the bucket, declare bankruptcy, or whatever other calamity forces them to finally short-sell) and that takes time, since even suckers don't typically destroy their personal finances panic-buying.

I've not seen an SKS for sell lower than 500$ lately (Yugos), but at least they're cleaned off. Much better than the cosmo-caked 800$ models of February

TCB
Old July 22, 2013, 10:36 PM   #6
bustersmaster

I saw several SKS's at the Lansing gun show this past weekend. Mostly Yugos and mostly in the $500 range. There was one for $800 though, offerred by a dealer who probably payed too much for it at the height of the panic.
I didn't see any buyers lined up to look at any of them. Come to think of it, not much activity on the modern EBR's either. The ammo dealers were where most of the action was.