The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1
deadduck357

Best Glock Ever...G30S !

Recently I had the chance to review a G30S and believe it could possibly be the best Glock to date. If you like the G30, which I always have, it is all that but a little more compact.

Double Tap 185 gr Nosler JHP: 1.809"; 5-rounds fired from a bench at 50'.

I was worried that the slender slide would hinder the G30's reputable accuracy, but that wasn't the case. It proved to be as accurate as its bulkier sibling. And the G30S was just as reliable feeding and ejecting approx. 190 rounds of both FMJ and JHP bullets without fail. The G30S puts big-bore firepower in a compact concealable package.

For full review - http://lead-slinger.com/glock-30s

Last edited by deadduck357; May 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
CSG

I had a G36 for some years and it was an easy shooting, accurate .45. I just ended up realizing I'd rather carry my Kimber CDP compact 1911 instead which not only gave me one more round but I was better with it.

I'm down to one Glock these days, my old 17 which is a Gen I refitted in Smyrna some years ago with a Gen II frame (they were able to keep the serial number matched). While I don't pack a Glock, they are one of the great semi-autos ever designed, especially as duty weapons.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Older posts; LAPD's elite SIS...

Glock sales reps & LE staff say the 30S was T&Eed by the LAPD's high speed, convert SIS.

I'm sure these cops are happy with the new Glock 30S .45acp.
It should be a big improvement over the lackluster & unpopular(with LA politicos ) Kimber SIS line.

ClydeFrog
Old May 2, 2013, 12:58 AM   #4
915A

I know there is a love/hate relationship with the Glock. But I have never even handled one. I got sucked in by all the 1911 talk, I may just have to try a Glock next. Just to see what all the hype is about. I hope it wont be a letdown like the Shield was for me. Not saying the Shield is bad, but all the talk and not being able to find one made it interesting. Until I found one.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Brit

Quote:
I know there is a love/hate relationship with the Glock. But I have never even handled one. I got sucked in by all the 1911 talk, I may just have to try a Glock next. Just to see what all the hype is about. I hope it wont be a letdown like the Shield was for me. Not saying the Shield is bad, but all the talk and not being able to find one made it interesting. Until I found one. _________________
As I am definitely prejudiced, the Glock 19 4th Gen in 9mm, might be the best CCW ever made!

A perfect size, fits perfectly on my frequent flier belt, with one spare G17 magazine. Sixteen rounds B/4 a reload is required! (I know, having fired 16 rounds, you are in trouble) TruGlo night sights, 3.5 connector, superbly accurate. Buy a recent manufacture, the first ones were CRAP! Many main spring trial and errors.

Comes with 3 magazines. Works first time, all the time. Mine is right next to me as I tap keys. A little advice, never listen to people who say things like "I hate Glock's" or insert S&W, or Sig!

They are not playing with a full deck. I have owned them all at one point or an other. But the G19 4Gen, the best of the bunch! Try one, you will like it (love it) would I lie to you?
Old May 2, 2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

If I've said it before, I've said it a hundred times. I don't want to like Glocks. Period. Never have. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that I really don't like them, even if I don't want to. It's certainly worth handling one and giving one a shot if you can rent it. I had my eye on a G30 not too long ago (not sure if it was a G30S, but I don't think so), but didn't get it. I have a several good friends who swear by Glocks, though.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Sinkhole

I have fired Glocks before Gen 4 and SF excluded,and will not say they are bad guns, but will say they feel like I'm holding a big ole square brick. I have wide hands but short hands. so finding a good fit for me is some times hard. That said I have always steered away from Glocks for this reason. I also fave this habit of buying American made guns. I don't own one that wasn't made in the USA. How ever the 30S intrigues me for some reason and I find myself at least wanting to rent and give it a try. I guess I'll have to do that.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If I've said it before, I've said it a hundred times. I don't want to like Glocks. Period. Never have. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that I really don't like them, even if I don't want to. It's certainly worth handling one and giving one a shot if you can rent it. I had my eye on a G30 not too long ago (not sure if it was a G30S, but I don't think so), but didn't get it. I have a several good friends who swear by Glocks, though.
Yeah, that's mostly the reason of people I run into. But they don't know it yet. They just don't want to. It feels better to conjure up reasons they see regurgitated online rather than admit what you just did...

You're a good, honest man Spats McGee! lol

But I don't know OP....I mean have you tried the Glock 19?!

I haven't shot the 30s but I have shot the 36 and 30. They're really awesome too. If you're a .45 guy than I see why you say that's the best Glock of all time.

I'm divided between .45 and 9mm O_O

Have an even amount of both I think...
Old May 2, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Gaerek

I don't have a .45 Glock. I want a .45 Glock. I've been going back and forth between G21 and G30. The G21 is my favorite Glock of all time (father in law has one and I love shooting it...I have huge hands...). But I want something practical, and not something that would just be a range queen (a G21 would be a range queen for me). I think the G30S is going to be my next Glock. Easy to carry, fun to shoot, hopefully with the same supposed accuracy of the G30.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10
srommes

I have a Glock 30SF Gen 3 that I just love. I use it for home defense(with a Glock 21 mag) and as a range gun. I have medium size hands and it fits my hand perfectly. If I wanted to carry it, I'd probably opt for the 30S as the 30SF is a bit bulky but for my purposes, the 30SF works perfectly. I also looked at the 21SF before I bought mine but liked the way the 30SF felt better in my hand. The 30SF is a really nice shooter as well. Very manageable recoil and very accurate. I'm more accurate with it than I am my Glock 19 Gen 4 if you can believe that.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:05 AM   #11
deadduck357

Quote:
I have fired Glocks before Gen 4 and SF excluded,and will not say they are bad guns, but will say they feel like I'm holding a big ole square brick. I have wide hands but short hands. so finding a good fit for me is some times hard. That said I have always steered away from Glocks for this reason. I also fave this habit of buying American made guns. I don't own one that wasn't made in the USA. How ever the 30S intrigues me for some reason and I find myself at least wanting to rent and give it a try. I guess I'll have to do that.
Sinkhole, rent one and give it a try. The G30S has a shorter grip from front to back and the slide is slimmer than the standard G30.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
deadduck357

Quote:
But I don't know OP....I mean have you tried the Glock 19?!

I haven't shot the 30s but I have shot the 36 and 30. They're really awesome too. If you're a .45 guy than I see why you say that's the best Glock of all time.

I'm divided between .45 and 9mm O_O

Have an even amount of both I think...
Constantine, Yes I have a G19 and before this G30S it was my favorite Glock. I still think the G19 is one of the best Glock models ever but the new G30S is a little shorter and slimmer but packs 10+1 round of .45 acp in a comfortable CCW.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:15 AM   #13
deadduck357

Quote:
I don't have a .45 Glock. I want a .45 Glock. I've been going back and forth between G21 and G30. The G21 is my favorite Glock of all time (father in law has one and I love shooting it...I have huge hands...). But I want something practical, and not something that would just be a range queen (a G21 would be a range queen for me). I think the G30S is going to be my next Glock. Easy to carry, fun to shoot, hopefully with the same supposed accuracy of the G30.
Gaerek, If you like .45 and want something to carry the G30S may be the best option.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
deadduck357

Quote:
I have a Glock 30SF Gen 3 that I just love. I use it for home defense(with a Glock 21 mag) and as a range gun. I have medium size hands and it fits my hand perfectly. If I wanted to carry it, I'd probably opt for the 30S as the 30SF is a bit bulky but for my purposes, the 30SF works perfectly. I also looked at the 21SF before I bought mine but liked the way the 30SF felt better in my hand. The 30SF is a really nice shooter as well. Very manageable recoil and very accurate. I'm more accurate with it than I am my Glock 19 Gen 4 if you can believe that.
I like all Glocks, and they're all accurate but I think the G30 family (G30, SF, S) are the most accurate.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Gaerek

Quote:
Gaerek, If you like .45 and want something to carry the G30S may be the best option.
I've wanted one ever since I saw the SHOT show announcement. Every review I've read has been positive. I read one in, I think Handgun magazine, that Patrick Sweeney did. He's not a Glock guy, and even he said he's going to get one. I've only seen one in the wild. Unfortunately, it was Blue Label, and I'm not eligible for the program. It was also $525, which is very high for Blue Label guns at that store...they're usually in the low $400 range. If it hadn't been Blue Label, I would have risked sleeping on the couch for a month to get it. I think I'll wait for the prices to drop and look at getting one towards the end of the year.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16
deadduck357

Gaerek, You won't regret it. It's concealable and your getting 10+1 rounds of .45acp. It is a great CCW.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:05 PM   #17
Gaerek

I've heard the G30S will fit in holsters designed for the G19. Can you confirm/deny this? I have a G19, and it would save me money not having to buy new holsters.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Mausermolt

I had a glock 30 for about 2 weeks. i hated how it felt (brick with a stupid bump at the bottom). it was a jam o matic and constantly had light primer strikes. i didnt really want the 30 in the first place but i traded it for a SU-16 that couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with (i think something was seriously mechanically wrong because groups were minut of hippo, no exaggeration) i got one lemon for another! so i sold her off and bought an SKS. that whole situation really turned me off to Glocks.

just recently a security guy that works for my boss here in Haiti showed me his Glock 19. before Glocks "had my curiosity....now they have my full attention"! i really liked how the 19 felt and pointed.

now that people are saying the 30SF is a regular 30 that went on a diet and got rid of her cankles....its got my interest again
Old May 2, 2013, 01:09 PM   #19
deadduck357

Quote:
I've heard the G30S will fit in holsters designed for the G19. Can you confirm/deny this? I have a G19, and it would save me money not having to buy new holsters.
I have Kydex holsters, they are molded for specific pistols. The G30S will fit in my G19 holster but not an exact fit. Now a leather or nylon holster will have a little more play but I cannot confirm this.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Gaerek

Guess it's going to be a case by case type of thing. Oh well, still worth picking one up...and possible an excuse to get new holsters.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:37 PM   #21
deadduck357

You won't regret it. Mines a keeper. Shoots great and is concealable.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:20 PM   #22
eggie1000

i had the 30sf now i have the 30s , to me the 30sf was great but the 30s is much better, to me.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Wreck-n-Crew

I just wanted to add that the small pistol phase for CCW will subside some when some people find a comfortable way to carry a little larger weapon.

Can't say it will go away, but if some people can find a way to carry something that is more accurate and take it to the range to they may just settle in with it.

Dunno, but that's the way it's been for me. Started with some small ones for carry and just wanted a full sized i have been use to for so long and I am comfortable carrying it.

Though the G30 is not a sub compact, I just would prefer a G19.

Maybe some of us older guys might know where i am coming from....
Old May 2, 2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Pico

Hmmm

Taking a Glock 36 slide and placing it on a 30 frame is nothing short of genius to me and puts a 30s on my list.

Does anyone remember Ayoob saying something about how he felt the .45 Glock models are the most accurate of them all due to the barrel design?

Pico
Old May 2, 2013, 09:34 PM   #25
Vireye

I love my 30...was incredibly excited when Glock announced the 30S.

That being said, I don't make nearly enough money to be able to afford one for a good long while, so I'm stuck with my 30 (not that I'm complaining, I love that "little" gun...)