The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 9, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Fargazer

Need help with scope selection

I need some assistance picking out a scope for a new FNAR I'm getting next week.

I have regular access to 100 to 300 yard ranges; extremely infrequently, I can get access to 500 and 750 ranges. I do not hunt; my shooting is strictly target practice, either prone or at a bench, and typically every couple weeks. Other constraints are:
  • I'm looking to stay at $500 or less; I can go a bit north of that, but only if the scope is an exceptional value.
    • A year or two from now I may look at a larger budget, but not now.
    • That price is for the scope only; the mount has a separate budget, and will be either a Burris PEPR, or a LaRue quick detach.
    • I do have a C&R, which helps pricing; of the assortment I listed, the highest priced one is about $530.
  • I want a mil/mil scope, both to estimate ranges and for the consistency between adjustment and reticle.
  • Good eye relief is a must.
  • This scope may eventually go on other rifles, so I don't want anything specific to a particular round; no BDC reticles or the like.
  • Given a choice, I prefer moderate specs of high quality rather than high specs of middling quality.
  • I've never had an illuminated scope, and have no preference one way or the other on it. I'm happy to be educated on the pros / cons.
So far, I'm considering (in rough order)Have I missed any other scopes worth consideration? Any of these outstandingly superior to the others?
Old August 9, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Creeper

The Vortex and Burris are nice for the money. I'd suggest the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 Item #652164MD... but sadly, the lowest price on line is about $630. With your C&R however... it might still be something to consider.

Cheers,
C
Old August 9, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

+1 to what Creeper said. I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical on my 50 bmg and love it. My fovorite .308 has a Vortex Viper resting on it.. While I don't have a Burris I have owned a Black Diamond and it was a nice scope.
Old August 9, 2012, 06:55 PM   #4
tobnpr

Q:

You don't hunt, but you say you want to be able to range with the reticle...

I don't own a FFP scope, because I also target shoot only, and at known ranges... but if ranging is part of your need, you should consider a FFP scope- that's where they're useful. Subtensions are accurate at any magnification.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Fargazer

The Bushnell Elite is out of my price range, even with my C&R. A mil/mil FFP is going to cost me even more - the Vortex Vipers or the Bushnell Tactical Elite 3-21 will run me $1000ish with C&R. By contrast, the Bushnell MTAC 3-10 will cost me about $350, and the 4.5-14 will run around $430.

I apologize, and should clarify a bit more. I could afford to get a $1000+ scope. If I absolutely KNEW what features I wanted, and what type of rifle shooting I'll enjoy the most, then I'd drop big bucks for a top notch scope and not look back.

The catch is, right now my wife and I casually plink; we talk about shooting our centerfire rifles more, and we look at different types of matches, but we don't know yet what kind of rifle shooting we would enjoy the most. I'm trying to get a more moderately priced scope, buy more ammo, shoot more, try out some different things, and only then make a decision about big bucks optics.

At least that's the theory
Old August 10, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
tobnpr

That Viper HS at Midway is pretty interesting- I didn't know Vortex did an "exclusive" with them in a mil-mil.

You should also consider the Viper 6.5-20... another great scope...
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Vipe...pe-P13287.aspx

Tags
scope