The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2010, 12:48 PM   #51
PVP

6. BAG LIMITS:

(a) pheasant: the bag limit is 2 daily, 4 in possession, and 6 per season, except as provided below;

(b) ruffed grouse: the bag limit is 3 daily, 6 in possession, and 15 per season;

(c) bobwhite quail: the bag limit is 4 daily, 8 in possession, and 20 per season, except as provided below;

(d) Youth Hunter Training Program: the daily bag limit is 1 pheasant and/or 2 quail.

I take this to mean 6 total for the season. We did go out one more afternoon and got skunked, so no harm no foul I guess.

I have been thinking about the Franchi O/U lately. I mean, really everyone SHOULD own more than one shotgun, and preferably at least one from each different style, (pump, o/u, sxs, auto, ect.) no? LOL

You get the dogs to do the dirty deed? I thought that was something to maybe discourage? Things that make you go hmm...
Old November 27, 2010, 05:59 PM   #52
A/C Guy

Our dogs just started doing it themselves after a bird that was retrieved tried to fly away as soon as it was released on the drop command. Duke pounced right back on the bird, then wouldn't release until the bird stopped moving. Now, they both just do it as soon as they pick up the bird. I never discouraged it as long as they don't munch the birds. Occasionally, we get one back that looks like hamburger, but that problem is easily corrected. Recently, our female started munching since she is pregnant. She even swallowed a dove the other day. I'll cut her a little slack since she is pregnant and her hormones are definitely making her behave in some abnormal manners. This morning she had trouble staying focussed on the hunt, but she did retrieve well and found several lost birds.

Too bad about the season limits. That really is not a fair system since people do obviously ignore it.
Old November 27, 2010, 06:09 PM   #53
A/C Guy

Quote:
We go for 2-3 hours at a time in the late afternoons. I don't dare go on weekends, it's like a shooting gallery out there. Speaking of "season limits" I spoke with a Portuguese fella other day (they do love to hunt pheasant for some reason) that said he took 16 last year without a dog! What's up with that? Am I the dummy for stopping at 6? Is the season limit thing just meant to be approximate?
I just thought of something that we do after I limit each day. I put the gun away and just walk the dogs commanding find dead. They usually come up with a few birds and it really helps them work on their finding dead and wounded birds. I discussed it with a Game & Fish officer. She wrinkled her nose at first, but then said it would be alright as long as I was not carrying a weapon. We both agreed that the other hunters were just wasting the game and that at least this way some of the wasted game is recovered and put to good use. Sometimes, we go back out later in the day for a second "hunt" finding downed birds. The last 90 minutes of Saturday and Sunday always yield the most found birds. The dogs really enjoy doing that.