The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 21, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1
essohbe

CZ82 ordeal...

I got a second CZ82 for my brother recently and the slide stop is malfunctioning. The spring appears to either be not working or missing altogether ...

The only reason it would be missing is that someone either took it off and reassembled the gun, or someone playing home gunsmith broke it off by driving the retaining pin out (this destroys the spring).

This is the company's fault (cough... AIM... cough cough...) for not funtion checking it better.

Should I just send it back or track down another spring?
I don't mind doing it but it's still under 30day warranty so what do you think?
Old October 22, 2009, 06:30 AM   #2
CowTowner

If you are convinced that the vendor is responsible, then initiate the RMA process and get the gun replaced/repaired by them at their expense minus shipping costs.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
cougar gt-e

What's cheaper, you fixing it or the shipping cost? For minor stuff, it's probably easier to just chalk it up - as long as the part is available.

If the part that broke is not available -- back she goes in an eye blink.

jb
Old October 23, 2009, 08:45 PM   #4
zombieslayer

Dang, i never hear about CZ's having problems. might be serious!
Old October 24, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
essohbe

I sent it back, I don't feel like tinkering with tiny parts inside the gun. The $4 to send it back is worth my time and tracking down the spring I need anyway.

I realize most places just browse over the crates of guns they get and don't fire them. My particular problem is pretty easy to overlook, especially if you aren't familiar with the CZ 82.

Quote:
Dang, i never hear about CZ's having problems. might be serious!
Not too serious. The gun still functions but you have to manually close the slide every time because it won't cycle the next round into battery.
Because the spring is missing, the hold-open won't stay down; it bounces up with the power of the round going off and jams the slide from closing.

Somone had to have removed the pin in order to break the spring out.
They don't just break and fall out on their own.
Some goof cadet in the Czech military probably did it while they were teaching how to strip them
Old November 8, 2009, 11:06 PM   #6
saands

I don't work for AIM or anything, but I have done a fair amount of business with them over the years. Unless something has changed drastically in the recent past, they will stand behind what they sell. I have always found them to be very conservative in their ratings and fair in their pricing. They even went so far as to talk me out of buying an Israeli BHP over the phone a few years back because they didn't think that it would be in good enough condition to meet my expectations ... how many salespeople will do that The kicker was that my brother got one anyway and it was MUCH nicer than I expected ... alas they were sold out by the time I saw his.

Anyway, AIM is one of a small handful of online vendors that I never hesitate to buy from.

Saands
Old November 9, 2009, 09:04 AM   #7
UniversalFrost

yeah, AIM is good to deal with.

like others said, make a cost comparison and either send back or repair. either way you will have a working gun in the end.

Joe

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 9, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8
amd6547

The slide stop spring is one of the few known problems with the CZ82...a google search will bring up lots of returns. It will also show that a guy named Norm Sutton makes a replacement spring.
I have heard that it can just fall out. It isn't too difficult to replace.
Old November 9, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
GMAN

Try [email protected] I think he sells them for $2.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:51 PM   #10
essohbe

I sent it back to AIM, I paid $4 to ship it. They sent a different gun back + holster. More than worth me tracking down the part and not having an extra holster for my other one.

AIM is good, I'm not knocking them, just figured why should I fix it? Know what I mean?

Tags
cz82 , slide stop , spring