The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Deer huntin' idea... Discussion...

Hey what do ya'll think of this thought I had to trick them deer.

I got to thinking about human scent and deer habit.
so what if I take a spare shirt as I scout my spots... I would then take off my worn one and tie it in a tree limb and swap it out each trip in. I can go in almost daily. Think a couple weeks of my shirt being there pre season would take some of the spookiness off the deer?
Less chance of deer blowing my cover and snortin' at me just out of sight the last hour and a half of shooting light?
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
treg

On a similar note, I have thought of putting a dummy in some of my stands. When season comes they won't realize that there's a different dummy there.

You can mess with their brains, but a deers nose is tough to trick.
Old September 27, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
fisherman66

Might work, but I suspect it would be more likely to keep all deer out of the area during daylight.
Old September 27, 2009, 05:37 PM   #4
bswiv

It may not be as crazy a idea as it appears on the surface. Deer do get used to houses and you know for sure they can smell people there all the time but then as soon as they see you.......

But I'll let you try it first.........
Old September 27, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
FrontSight

You might be onto something really good. Especially if you put lots of bait there...they might start to associate human scent with food...then when they smell you somewhere else, they will think there is food there to & come running?
Old September 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #6
BlackFeather

I have known an ex Army Ranger to do the same thing, he always got a deer, but then again he was VERY sneaky too...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old September 28, 2009, 03:06 PM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
On a similar note, I have thought about putting a dummy in some of my stands...
Treg, you`ll find the dummy in the stand works. Designing one that moves with the wind(arms,head etc.) is very effective for getting them used to movement. An old farmer I knew hunted for years from a tractor seat nailed to a tree stump. Stump was in the middle of a mature woods with a thick canopy and very little undergrowth, no cover. He would place a dummy in seat right after every shotgun season. Seemed to be a ritual, opening morning of shotgun season, right after daylight, you`d hear Mr. Clarks shotgun bark. I learned alot from that guy. As far as smell goes, deer, especially doe`s and the young are very curious. They would probably be able to be fooled after awhile of leaving worn clothes in an area but I don`t know about that trophy buck. May force him out of the area all-together.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
davlandrum

Brent,

Added benefit is saving on running the washer - few days in the fresh air makes them just like new...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 28, 2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Fremmer

Quote:
I would then take off my worn one and tie it in a tree limb and swap it out each trip in. I can go in almost daily. Think a couple weeks of my shirt being there pre season would take some of the spookiness off the deer?
Interesting idea. I don't think that it would do much, though. If anything, you'll spook the deer during preseason and they won't be around when you really want them to be during the season. You'd probably do better by slowly, silently, and very quietly scouting that area a couple of weeks before the season, and then let it settle down until the season comes. At least then you'll (hopefully) figure out where they bed, what paths they take, where they like to eat, etc.

But I like the idea, at least you're thinking about things!
And I like the story about the farmer and the stump, too.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:38 PM   #10
treg

Thanks for the story and the encouragement shortwave. Gotta find time to get out there and git-r-done.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard of the dummy thing working. On the shirt idea, there's no reason to believe that the deer would not get used to the scent and ignore it. It happens all the time when people build new cabins or do some logging. If it goes on for awhile the deer get used to it. A new cabin will have deer standing 30 yards from it in a couple of months.

I'd give it a lot more than a couple weeks though.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:29 PM   #12
trooper3385

The dummy thing isn't a bad idea. I've seen that work before. As far as the shirt, it might work and it might spook the deer. It's a pretty good idea, but I've never heard anyone doing it before. I would suggest trying it right after deer season first and see if it works. I wouldn't want to find out that it's not going to work after the season starts and the deer are spooked by it now.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Gbro

I have used the switch shirt trick(tee shirt) before and have told bear hunters about it before and they had good results. I also like essence of skunk. both natural and the 2 part kits.
But the trick I used most was to never, NEVER bring hunting garments into the camp. all overclothes would be hung in the lower branches of a balsam or cedar tree, Every night, and every return to camp.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:09 AM   #14
camper4lyfe

I've often thought of doing the dummy trick. I just need to actually DO it.
Old September 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Longun

Works for Bear I have my hunters send a dirty shirt to me & hang it two weeks before the hunt. Here is the rub bear get use to human scent vary easy deer not so much. I would keep one shirt Out & let the scent dissipate then employ a cover scent on the hunt.

longun
Old September 30, 2009, 07:36 PM   #16
jammin1237

not quite sure what totally makes them tick just yet...i just try to use whatever their senses perceive as being "normal" and non threatening...here is a couple of observations i have seen over the years...

1 -- up in the north woods of Wisconsin there is a lot of logging activity in certain areas during the non frozen tundra season, the deer will hover around these areas to feed on the buds and or fallen seeds of freshly cut trees, its an easy meal... a running chain saw can actually bring deer into an area rather than scare them away, its almost like a dinner bell...

2 -- i have seen more deer within 50 yards of me while i was smoking a Marlboro light cigarette than any of the other times i was hunting(crap, i dont smoke anymore)...whats up with that? maybe them lumber jack dudes are smokin the marlboro while workin

3 -- use squirrel or bird call noises -- turkey, crow, grouse, dove, duck, and or whatever simulates the sound of undisturbed nature in your neck of the woods...

4 -- relax and wait for it... i swear they can sense what you are there for...

if it takes your dirty clothes to get them used to your smell without them feeling threatened? that could easily work... they will check it out at night(75% of deer are nocturnal, the other 25% end up in your freezer)...at least they wont freak out if they smell you during the day...
Old September 30, 2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Swampghost

Most of my life I've had the privilege of hunting working cattle ranches and groves.

I suggest that these animals are acclimated to a certain level of human contact. All of the information that I've gathered on the cattle ranch that I've hunted for the past 3 yrs. indicates that schedule changes have the most influance in behavior.